What will you never buy since you learned to cook? What can you cook but still buy from the store?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I cook beans of all kinds, chili, stews, hummus, pancakes, and roasts. All easy and all much cheaper from scratch. Oh, I also cut my own apple, pineapple, and watermelon for the same reason. Is a knife and a ziplock that hard?

Very hard from scratch so I let the industrio-transportation complex do all the work are butters, yogurt, breads, pasta and cheese.

But I'm working on my breads.

I have cooked dried beans many times and they never seem to turn out right. How do you cook your beans?

I soak mine for at least 8 hours...when cooking, make sure there is enough liquid to avoid drying out. I usually add some salt, garlic powder, and onion powder and I cook in a slow cooker on low for about 8 hours.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I can't roast a chicken. At all. It always turns out terrible. I buy hot rotisserie chickens from the deli. Worth the extra expense.

I make my own dressings (mayo, vinaigrettes, and ranch). Worth the time and effort. Actually, it's pretty simple with a stick/immersion blender.

I can roast a chicken but it seems like to much work to me. Plus I dont like touching raw meat if I dont have to. I love rotisserie chicken and I can eat half and freeze half.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yogurt... there is so much crap in most of the commercial yogurt, most of it isn't even yogurt technically.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh? What "crap" is in this?

kmzx9s2v2ox3.jpg

For help, here's the label:

1w41s6l1ttah.jpg

Now, I like the idea of making my own yogurt, and might one of these days, and I also buy a lot of yogurt from a semi-local goat farm that sells at my green market (I like goat's milk and foods made with it), but for greek yogurt I'm extremely fond of Fage, which seems to be an incredibly popular brand where I live too, based on what I see at the various grocery stores.

Don't like Fage? Here are the ingredients in Trader Joe's house brand (0% fat for this one, since it came up on Fooducate first): Grade A pasteurized nonfat milk, live and active cultures S thermophilus, L bulgaricus, L acidophilus, bifidus, L casei.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Mashed potatoes.

I actually had no idea that people bought mashed potatoes instead of making them until a pretty old age. I was just talking to a friend about that the other day and he said he used to buy the boxed ones and enjoys them because he considers them a separate product entirely from actual mashed potatoes. If you don't expect them to taste the same, they can be good, he claims.

No, he has not convinced me that this is a product I need to try. ;-)

My mom doesn't really like cooking and would use canned veg (winter, especially) and other time-savers, but I guess potatoes were sacrosanct in our house or just something she was confident about.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mashed potatoes.

I actually had no idea that people bought mashed potatoes instead of making them until a pretty old age. I was just talking to a friend about that the other day and he said he used to buy the boxed ones and enjoys them because he considers them a separate product entirely from actual mashed potatoes. If you don't expect them to taste the same, they can be good, he claims.

And I had no idea how they were really made. :blush: In graduate school at the age of 23, at my roommate's parents house for thanksgiving I stupidly offered to help cook. (I didn't know how). Her lovely mom said I could make the mashed potatoes. I replied "sure, where's the box?". And an awkward silence fell on the room.
    That day I learned to make mashed potatoes from an honest to God Home Economics teacher.
    Best day. Though I didn't actually learn to cook until about ten years later.

Boxed mashed potatoes are Godawful now.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I will never buy Minute Rice. In 15 minutes I can have fluffy Jasmine rice that doesn't takes like cardboard.

I still buy frozen Swedish meatballs from Ikea, even though I can make them at home and they are yummy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I will never buy Minute Rice. In 15 minutes I can have fluffy Jasmine rice that doesn't takes like cardboard.

I still buy frozen Swedish meatballs from Ikea, even though I can make them at home and they are yummy!

YES Minute rice. gahhhh.

I would totally buy Ikea meatballs if we had an Ikea here.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes.

And I had no idea how they were really made. :blush: In graduate school at the age of 23, at my roommate's parents house for thanksgiving I stupidly offered to help cook. (I didn't know how). Her lovely mom said I could make the mashed potatoes. I replied "sure, where's the box?". And an awkward silence fell on the room.
    That day I learned to make mashed potatoes from an honest to God Home Economics teacher.
    Best day. Though I didn't actually learn to cook until about ten years later.

Boxed mashed potatoes are Godawful now.

When I was dating the Fiance, right toward the beginning, I remember his youngest son (16-ish) asking for "mashed potatoes made from potatoes" for his birthday but he wasn't sure how to make them, and I was so confused by that, you mash some potatoes, how else would you make them? It's right in the name. But he'd always gotten them from a box, and didn't know if you had to cook them before or after mashing, how to season, etc. What seemed so obvious to me was not to him.

• lemurcat12
    Options

Rice is my thing I will never make another way since I got a rice cooker. (It's great for oats too.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Rice is my thing I will never make another way since I got a rice cooker. (It's great for oats too.)

and vegetables. I love artichokes in the steamer, and eggplant.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Since I learned to cook just about everything, the answer for me is...everything :p I can't remember the last time I bought something from the store that was a prepared meal or dish unless you count cereals. Everything I eat is either whole food or a dish cooked by me or someone else.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Any of those frozen meals (although it's been years since I bought any lean cuisines). Since I meal prep for the week, I just grab the tupperware for my lunch that day. Protein bars - I can make yummy, no preservative bars at home, but I still buy them because it's way more convienent.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Definitely soups. Also bread, almond milk, guacamole, salsa, and beef jerky (although I still buy it from a jerky-specific store from time to time).

OMG. Beef jerky! Once you make homemade beef jerky, it absolutely ruins store-bought jerky forever. All that stuff tastes like crap and chemicals to me now. Homemade beef jerky (from a good recipe) is one of the true joys in life.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    I would never buy spaghetti from anywhere.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I buy everything from the store since it is cheaper and the same nutritional value. #easymac

Ha, yeah this is pretty much me too :) I know how to cook and bake but I don't enjoy it so I don't do a lot of it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian; my husband eats meat. We are strictly kosher. And given that kosher meat and poultry are ALREADY priced significantly higher than non-kosher when they're raw, let's just say that I almost never buy them cooked.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes.

Omg how could I forget mashed potatoes?? Before I changed my lifestyle, I would literally have like a bag of fake mashed potatoes for dinner 2-3 nights a week. Never again!! My real mashed potatoes are the most amazing thing in the world.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I still buy rotisserie chickens and bread because they are pretty cheap considering how many meals I get out of them and how much time they save. I often buy canned beans, not that they are particularly good in taste or cost, but they are so much more convenient than dried beans. I keep canned sardines and Spam around because they are a fast way to add protein to meals. My pantry also has Costco supplies of instant ramen and boxed mac and cheese as they are the ultimate comfort convenience foods.

Since I started gardening and canning I rarely buy canned tomato sauce and have not bought seasoned spaghetti sauce since I started an herb garden. I haven't had frozen dinners or vegetables in years. I rarely buy pre-cut fruit, vegetables, or salad mixes anymore. They are so expensive and don't keep as long as whole produce. I also haven't bought stock or broth since I bought my first cookbook and learned how easy, cheap, and tasty it is to make my own. The same goes for soup. I make up a big batch every week and eat it for lunch. Recently I discovered how easy it is to make tortillas, so we never buy those anymore either.