senior runner looking for endurance tips

Options
Hi. I'm 68 and have been running in races for decades. However, i can't seem to maintain, let alone increase, my endurance. I used to be able to do some interval training and would see a difference quickly. Now both intervals and even long slow runs just wear me out. I'm adding some resistance (squats and lunges) in case I'm losing muscle tissue. (Probably so). My weight is unchanged (122 lbs). I eat well, but wonder how much protein I should eat. I'd love some tips from anyone who know senior athlete recommendations. I have no injury or health issues to prevent me from following tips.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm in awe! WOW
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I needed to add, I don't how to answer you but would love to hear some answers that help you.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Have you had your ferritin levels checked lately? I was having serious issues with energy on my long runs and asked my doctor for a ferritin test after doing some reading on a running forum. Turns out my iron stores were low, though I was not obviously anemic according to a CBC. I started taking iron pills and was able to extend my runs again without feeling like I was run over by a bus. The doctor also had me get a colonoscopy to see if I was bleeding internally. (I wasn't.) I still don't know why my iron levels were low, but I do appreciate being able to enjoy my runs again.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not addressing any medical issues mentioned earlier, but I would definitely agree with both strength training and protein intake. Running alone is not particularly good for maintaining muscle mass, esp as we get older. This is purely subjective and may just be a placebo effect, but I do find that I recover faster when I keep my protein intake above 100g per day (not super high for me at 205lbs, but more than what I eat if I'm not paying attention).

In addition to squats and lunges, I also like Single-leg exercises for runners--like Bulgarian split squats, step ups, single leg romanian deadlifts--as well as various hip thrusts.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,726 Member
    Options
    I'm 61, and not a runner, but still consider myself an athlete (I'm a rower, which is more of a short-endurance thing, competitively).

From my reading, I personally think something in the range of .8-1g of protein per pound of a healthy body weight would be a good minimum range for someone with no contraindications (e.g. kidney condition), and more within reason won't hurt a healthy person. I'm in the 120s, and try for 100g minimum daily (as a vegetarian), usually getting more.

For others reading, yes, I mean pounds, not kilograms of body weight. There are research-based reasons to believe that more protein (compared to general-population RDAs) is a good thing for athletes, and for those who are aging, let alone people who are both.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest some blood work, and tell your doctor you're a runner. Sometimes things will be "normal" for sedentary people, but not for athletes. Also, you might have an endocrinologist check out your hormone levels.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm 61, and not a runner, but still consider myself an athlete (I'm a rower, which is more of a short-endurance thing, competitively).

From my reading, I personally think something in the range of .8-1g of protein per pound of a healthy body weight would be a good minimum range for someone with no contraindications (e.g. kidney condition), and more within reason won't hurt a healthy person. I'm in the 120s, and try for 100g minimum daily (as a vegetarian), usually getting more.

For others reading, yes, I mean pounds, not kilograms of body weight. There are research-based reasons to believe that more protein (compared to general-population RDAs) is a good thing for athletes, and for those who are aging, let alone people who are both.

Wow, you are amazing. So is the OP. Great work ladies. You all rock!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,726 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Wow, you are amazing. So is the OP. Great work ladies. You all rock!

Thank you, but . . . nope. All those things you've heard about older people? Those are false.

Aging is a good thing. Consider the alternative. ;)

(It's ill health, injury, or other such unfortunate conditions that make one inactive or incapable, not purely age. Just keep going, as long as you can. Our culture's myths are The Enemy in this situation.)

Sorry for the digression, OP.
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks folks. I will have ferritin level checked and increase protein, as well. Also, I find if I do a little less, but at least 5 times a week, I do feel less exhausted. Thanks so much, Joy