Ladies who lift - do you wear shorts to the gym?

I've been looking for shorts for the gym, but I'm beginning to think the perfect shorts are not out there for me. I'm an XS from the waist up, but I have chunky thighs (partly muscle, partly still excess fat). I've been trying looser style running shorts, but to get them to fit at the waist I've got to go down to at least a size sml, and at that size, the legs fit snugly on my thighs, which they're not supposed to do, and so they make my legs look fatter. Tighter booty style shorts are much more flattering on me, but I am not comfortable with the idea of squatting & lunging with them in public (any more than I'd be okay working out in a sports bra in public - no criticism of those who do, but I just don't feel right doing it).

Shall I just give up and get capri leggings for warmer weather workouts, or do any ladies know of some shorts that look good on big thighs?!

And in a related question, do any of you lift in shorts at the gym, and if so, do you feel comfortable doing so, or do you feel like it draws attention to you? I already feel a bit conspicuous being one of the only women in the free weights section, but I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with would be feeling like I was dressed in a way that seemed design to attract attention...... that's just not me.

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I usually wear pants because it's "winter" where I live. I wear shorts when it's hot, though. My favorite are these Under Armor shorts I got from Dicks Sporting Goods. Style # 1286150. I also have thicker thighs, and these are really comfortable without cutting into my legs or really riding up my hindend.
  • jagodfrey08
    Mine are black and gray, but these are the ones I like.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/pcid1286150?scid=scplp1286150-819_Extra-Small&sc_intid=1286150-819_Extra-Small&cid=PLA|US|B|GGL|MOB&gclid=CjwKEAiA8JbEBRCz2szzhqrx7H8SJAC6FjXXGWkCz_OSulp8Bicqa6-0oA923G2dS66WoNbvG2PQjRoC5Vzw_wcB
  • jagodfrey08
    Annnnnnd...it's a jumbled mess instead of a link. Sorry. You can Google the brand and style number, and they should pop right up.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    I have some looser athletic shorts I got from Walmart with an elastic waist. I have relatively big thighs in comparison to my waist and don't have a problem. I usually wear them when biking. I don't like wearing them when lifting because I feel like I'm giving someone a peep show down the legs when bending over, benching, etc. I usually wear either spandex shorts or leggings when lifting.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Maybe try the t-shirt material shorts? They have a draw string at the waist, looser legs and are generally plenty long enough not to draw unwanted attention.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    I wear shorts when it is hot and summer, but I don't give a crap who looks at the gym
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    I usually stick with leggings because I get annoyed with shorts. I know everything is covered and I won't spend the entire time trying to adjust them like I would with shorts. Plus there's a lot of cute leggings out there, and black goes with everything! I could maybe be alright with the long legged basketball style. (I guess I'm somewhat of a shorts-hater though, so maybe I'm biased lol.)
    Compression/"booty shorts" are quite popular, but my beef with them is that the legs seem to roll up (I have a few pairs that I would consider to fit me great, but still have this problem). Maybe when I get to a point where I'm like "kitten-yeah, everyone look at my entire thigh and all it's glory!" I'll consider wearing them in public, but for now it's a big nope. I've worn them while working out at home and I'm constantly adjusting the legs.
    I don't feel like there's anything wrong with wearing them if you're comfortable though.
    Anyway, that's my spiel. If anyone knows the secret to stopping the leg roll, please share. From what I've seen most girls wear them short enough that it doesn't really roll, or they just deal with it.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Annnnnnd...it's a jumbled mess instead of a link. Sorry. You can Google the brand and style number, and they should pop right up.

I will, thanks!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I have shorts that are about halfway between sweatshirt thickness and t-shirt thickness that I wear to the gym. They are not form fitting but also not loose. The ones in my avi, I only wear at home. I don't feel like wearing shorts to the gym draws attention to me. I go to a college rec center. There are much better legs to look at there than mine.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I'm a leggings type girl, too. The crazier the better, but if it gets hot and I haven't dragged the fan to my workout area, basketball shorts it is. :laugh:
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,410 Member
    Leggings or close fitting medium length shorts. Loose fitting anything drives me nuts, I've gotten more touchy in the last couple of years, and that's kind of a pain. However, I don't wear shorts that are too tight.
    I don't pay a lot of attention to what I wear at the gym - nothing matches.

Typical outfit:
    Motorhead, Iron Maiden or Megadeth shirt
    Leggings in a color that doesn't match (hey, they were clean)
    Neon green and blue running shoes
    Socks with duckies on them (a Christmas present from my husband)
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    I have 1 pair of favorite shorts and if I lose any more weight I won't be able to wear them anymore and the company doesn't make them any longer :( They are 2 in 1's...bicycle type short sewn in underneath and a mesh outer short. I have never loved anything as much as these in my life. The legs are snug, but not tight, they stay down and the only time a part of my thigh shows is when I'm squatting or doing DL's. I have ok looking thighs but this girl will never wear booty shorts no way! LOL
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I have worn the booty short style before but the leg rolling up drove me insane. I wear leggings, either capri length or regular length, most of the time now.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    I'm 100% leggings. I feel so bad in shorts, thick thighs and small waist. I wear a size 4, so it's not like I'm huge, but I swear how shorts fit I look like a high schooler in a wrestling singlet. Totally interested to hear if there are some good shorts for my body type, as I will need them for a dance class coming up.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I wear my minimal padding cycling shorts to the gym more often than not
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I have elastic waist mesh shorts, danskinnow from Walmart. They work better than lined running shorts since they are looser and have more give. Otherwise, stretchy bike shorts work OK, but I prefer smooth capri's. Walmart and old navy usually have good selections.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I wear Nike pros and under armour heat gear shorts. I'd wear booty shorts if they were allowed in my gym. Especially on squat days. I hate pulling my knee sleeves on over pants.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I wear Nike pros and under armour heat gear shorts. I'd wear booty shorts if they were allowed in my gym. Especially on squat days. I hate pulling my knee sleeves on over pants.

You're gym doesn't allow booty shorts?

(I generally lift in capris- especially now that it is winter) but- I'd probably switch to wraps if I was using sleeves- I know they are a pain in the *kitten*- but I love my pants to much LMAO.