Ladies who lift - do you wear shorts to the gym?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I have a pair of those shorts with the rubber (silicone?) band to keep them from going up and I don't like them. It feels like wearing rubber bands on my legs, which is more distracting then having to pull the legs back down.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I wear Nike pros and under armour heat gear shorts. I'd wear booty shorts if they were allowed in my gym. Especially on squat days. I hate pulling my knee sleeves on over pants.

You're gym doesn't allow booty shorts?

(I generally lift in capris- especially now that it is winter) but- I'd probably switch to wraps if I was using sleeves- I know they are a pain in the *kitten*- but I love my pants to much LMAO.

I always like to hear what other gyms do/don't allow. The gym I go to doesn't allow tank tops or sleeveless shirts but has no rules about bottoms.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    @jemhh- I don't think I would like them either- *having had others similar and agree with the feeling*

Do you go to a PF? I can't imagine lifting in a sleeved shirt- I hate it. #teamtanktop
  • SarahJeanine1
    SarahJeanine1 Posts: 78 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I always like to hear what other gyms do/don't allow. The gym I go to doesn't allow tank tops or sleeveless shirts but has no rules about bottoms.

Funny. I love to hear about gym policies too. I work out a University gym, and I would be really sad if they took away my sleeveless shirts. It is the only way I don't die of overheating (our gym is always SO warm!).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I workout at home, but I wear leggings.. either full or capri. I just can't do the shorts thing.. don't get me wrong, I look ok in regular (outdoor) shorts, but those really tight booty ones, nope nope.. they just don't work on me so I don't wear them.
    If you find a pair you love and feel good in.. I say you rock it!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I wear Nike pros and under armour heat gear shorts. I'd wear booty shorts if they were allowed in my gym. Especially on squat days. I hate pulling my knee sleeves on over pants.

(I generally lift in capris- especially now that it is winter) but- I'd probably switch to wraps if I was using sleeves- I know they are a pain in the *kitten*- but I love my pants to much LMAO.

Nope. And I get it. We have a lot of subjunior/youth athletes in for training. It's about creating a respectful atmosphere. Same thing with tops - doesn't matter what it looks like but you have to wear it.

And being perfectly honest, the 2" inseam on my shorts just barely keeps the booty covered.
  • jemhh
    @jemhh- I don't think I would like them either- *having had others similar and agree with the feeling*

Do you go to a PF? I can't imagine lifting in a sleeved shirt- I hate it. #teamtanktop

Funny. I love to hear about gym policies too. I work out a University gym, and I would be really sad if they took away my sleeveless shirts. It is the only way I don't die of overheating (our gym is always SO warm!).

Mine is a state university rec center. When I first saw the sign I thought it was due to hygiene/sweat. But then my husband pointed out that if that were the case they probably should put up more signs about wiping down the equipment. When I look online, it is listed as part of the Standard of Decency.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Nope. And I get it. We have a lot of subjunior/youth athletes in for training. It's about creating a respectful atmosphere. Same thing with tops - doesn't matter what it looks like but you have to wear it.

And being perfectly honest, the 2" inseam on my shorts just barely keeps the booty covered.

yeah- my shorts are wildly indecent- but we have body builders dropping trow and flexing for progress pics- so- decency isn't really our strong suit ;)
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I couldn't imagine not being able to wear tank tops in the gym. Just seems uncomfortable. Sometimes I do wear a long-sleeved shirt if it's cold and a leg day, but my tank top is on under it.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member

Really???!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member

yeah- my shorts are wildly indecent- but we have body builders dropping trow and flexing for progress pics- so- decency isn't really our strong suit ;)

I've built a large portion of my training wardrobe around being JUST inside the rules. I get hot when I train, and the less I'm wearing the better I feel.

I so want to try a pair of grrrl shorts but I'm scared they are going to be too short to train in. Maybe I'll throw a pair onto my next order.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I wear padded bike shorts year round when I take spin class. For regular workouts, from May to October, I wear shorts in the rest of the gym too - I get really hot and sweaty and really need them, regardless of what everyone else wears.

I don't wear booty shorts like some do -I'm pear shaped- but I get compression shorts that go to just above the knee. I feel confident in them.

It's pretty easy to find them and they're aren't that $$$.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Cropped leggings (capri length) have always been the easiest solution for me at the gym as they stay where they're supposed to and cover up my skin's unattractively pink-white hue. However, I live in a climate that rarely exceeds 25C in summer (no humidity either) and my gym is cool and air-conditioned in summer, so getting too hot isn't much of a concern for me.

I wear leggings (full length in winter and the aformentioned cropped ones in summer) and tech tee shirts year-round at the gym since I feel most comfortable without much exposed skin. Zero judgement for those who feel differently but I can focus better if I'm not having to adjust anything and if I don't have to endure the stares from those who enjoy checking out the flesh on display. Invisibility is always my goal.

I run outdoors all summer as well and usually stick to the same gear. Less skin to sunburn, less temptation for the kind of idiots who yell at you from cars.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Currently, I wear capris with racer back tees. I cannot wear sleeved shirts anymore, just feels wrong on me & too constricting.

The capris are getting longer as I continue to lose weight so are almost full on leggings now. I'm short at 5'1 to boot. I'm on the market for shorts and trying to find a good pair that doesn't flash the weight room with every squat. I also have a generous thigh-butt-hip area with a smallish waist. Never easy shopping for clothes...Any clothes. Short shopping has been less than ideal.

I must say though booty bluejean shorts fit my body type well. Love them! Think I'd make the "what not to wear when working out" thread if I wore mine to lift in?? Lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I usually wear leggings (full length or 3/4) but recently bought new balance shorts - they have lots of leg room, aren't too short, and are stretchy, so perfect for squatting without feeling restricted.

I have a couple of pairs of Nike pro shorts, but don't feel comfortable in those unless I'm a bit leaner. Our gym lighting emphasises skin blemishes so much.... Everyone has cellulite!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    trudie_b wrote: »
    What I'm not okay with would be feeling like I was dressed in a way that seemed design to attract attention...... that's just not me.

i was going to say, probably makes the most sense to sort of observe the 'dress code' where you're lifting and blend in with that. then i saw that you said you're the only woman, so so much for that.

i think it should be about where you're comfortable. you're the only person who knows the vibe and culture where you're lifting, so me telling you what i'm comfortable with might not translate well to where you are. fwiw though, i wear a lot of leggings but don't do shorts much. seems i don't care if the world knows everything there is to know about my shape, just so long as they can't see my skin :tongue:
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2017
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I have 1 pair of favorite shorts and if I lose any more weight I won't be able to wear them anymore and the company doesn't make them any longer :( They are 2 in 1's...bicycle type short sewn in underneath and a mesh outer short. I have never loved anything as much as these in my life. The legs are snug, but not tight, they stay down and the only time a part of my thigh shows is when I'm squatting or doing DL's. I have ok looking thighs but this girl will never wear booty shorts no way! LOL

I have a couple pairs of these and love them. underarmour had some just before xmas. I have an alright Adidas pair but got a target pair on clearance by gina splading or something similar and like them better because the bikepant part is a bit firmer/thicker and Adidas. Google double layer running shorts.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    I know I'm a guy, and my opinion wasn't requested. But For me, and for many of the same reasons, I wear a short or long sleeve compression shirt and compression shorts or capris for moisture wicking/cooling and a baggy cotton shirt and shorts because for myself I believe that nobody really wants to look at me.
  • jemhh
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I have 1 pair of favorite shorts and if I lose any more weight I won't be able to wear them anymore and the company doesn't make them any longer :( They are 2 in 1's...bicycle type short sewn in underneath and a mesh outer short. I have never loved anything as much as these in my life. The legs are snug, but not tight, they stay down and the only time a part of my thigh shows is when I'm squatting or doing DL's. I have ok looking thighs but this girl will never wear booty shorts no way! LOL

I have a couple pairs of these and love them. underarmour had some just before xmas. I have an alright Adidas pair but got a target pair on clearance by gina splading or something similar and like them better because the bikepant part is a bit firmer/thicker and Adidas. Google double layer running shorts.

Marshall's has this type of shorts in stock a lot. I don't know which brands, because the style doesn't fit me right (I need a higher waistline.) But I'm guessing that they'll start putting a bunch out in another month or so since that's when they start getting warmer weather clothes in stock.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    I like leggings under my shorts in the winter. I feel like I'm covered, and don't have to worry opacity or how low they are in the back. My shorts are cotton jersey material.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Just lift...I know, I know, eat a snickers bar Z.