Daniel fast

Options
I'm thinking of doing the Daniel fast for a month, I feel like this could benefit my body in many ways.... seems similar to vegan diet. I'm starting on February. I feel like this is going to be a challenge since I'm a big time carnivore lol 4cu055jopflw.png

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What are you hoping it will do exactly?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who does this yearly for religious reasons.

Probably not the best idea if you're only looking to lose weight from it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Religious food restrictions for faith and things.
    Vegan/vegetarian for the animals.
    Specific diets for medical issues.
    A varied diet for physical health.
    Good food for mental sanity.
    I can't see where this diet/fast/plan fits in.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do something so restrictive (which I am not against at all), I think it's helpful to have a good idea of why, going in. I did 100% plant based for Lent one time, and part of it was eliminating some food indulgences and getting used to eating in a simpler/cheaper way, and another part was showing myself that I did not need to be dependent on animal foods. And some other things too. I don't think just not eating animal products=good for your body (in fact, it takes work to make sure the diet is balanced), but I do think if you have reasons to rely on if it gets tough it can be worthwhile and interesting.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty long list of foods for a 'fast'. Seems easy enough though.
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm doing it for 30 days lol forgot to mention. I fast 1-2 times a week already, I mean real fast.... just tea and water.... this is more challenging because it's for 30 days. Not eating all the grains either, because I don't eat carbs... just sticking to the veggies, which have enough carbs as it is.... this is more like a spiritual, mental and physical cleanse.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    alarmed123 wrote: »
    Oh I'm doing it for 30 days lol forgot to mention. I fast 1-2 times a week already, I mean real fast.... just tea and water.... this is more challenging because it's for 30 days. Not eating all the grains either, because I don't eat carbs... just sticking to the veggies, which have enough carbs as it is.... this is more like a spiritual, mental and physical cleanse.

I get that. :) Maybe for different, or maybe even the same reasons, but my personal beliefs are that all foods are considered "Clean" - when I say that, I am speaking of food groups, not necessarily dyes/preservatives etc. Although the preservatives must work - I'm still here lol...

Be committed in your heart and spirit, dive in and try it. You aren't setting an unrealistic "forever" type of goal, so if you find out it's not benefiting you in the ways you hope, you're free to back out of it.

Just my $0.02 :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    alarmed123 wrote: »

I hope by "veggies," you're also including the beans. For people who aren't consuming meat, eggs, or dairy, beans are a great source of protein. Yes, they're carbohydrate-rich, but you also need protein.

This is an important point.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    After Rick Warren made it popular there's quite a few churches in my area that have done it as a whole congregation-my next door neighbors are actually doing it right now along with their church. To my knowledge their church isn't really pushing it as a weight loss plan though, but more for spiritual/religious reasons (my neighbors are already thin). To each their own but when Dr. Oz gets on board with something it loses my interest :p
  • alarmed123
    alarmed123 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My church has been doing it for over 10yrs.... I never could do it because my addiction with food was ridiculous. I was 333lbs and fast food was my religion, I worshiped it. I guess I feel like I can actually do it now and have the self control to do so. Of course I'm going to eat beans and tofu
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I find it culturally intriguing and am curious about it (when I was a kid evangelicals would always be on about how they didn't do superficial things like fasting or food-related observances vs. us Catholics), but I am sure that's beyond what we are supposed to talk about, as are the perceived benefits. I do find that food restrictions can be valuable personally for spiritual reasons, but only when separated from weight loss goals.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Nope!

Double nope!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    So, is the idea that you can eat whatever you want off the list? I sure hope not. I'd be 200 pounds inside of a month. :#
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So, is the idea that you can eat whatever you want off the list? I sure hope not. I'd be 200 pounds inside of a month. :#

The Daniel Fast is a fast for spiritual purposes, not a weight loss plan. You can also calorie count while doing it if weight loss is a goal, but I don't think it's designed for weight loss.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

The Daniel Fast is a fast for spiritual purposes, not a weight loss plan. You can also calorie count while doing it if weight loss is a goal, but I don't think it's designed for weight loss.

In my humble opinion it ought to be purely spiritual, but the "founders" have and do make claims for physical benefits.