Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Worst superhero name ever.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The Daniel fast has only one benefit. It sold books for the inventor.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Daniel was trying to sell books??? Huh.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    alarmed123 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing the Daniel fast for a month, I feel like this could benefit my body in many ways.... seems similar to vegan diet. I'm starting on February. I feel like this is going to be a challenge since I'm a big time carnivore lol 4cu055jopflw.png

A few things to consider:
    1) The true Daniel fast (the fast Daniel did in the Bible) was done for strictly spiritual reasons. No bodily health/nutritional benefits were ever intended or implied.
    2) The eating plan prescribed here is not in line with the real Daniel fast. Daniel abstained from bread (no whole grains), meat and wine. He also remained in a state of mourning and didn't clean himself up. That's all there was to it from what the Bible tells us.
    3) Daniel only fasted for 3 weeks (21 days), not for 30 days.

ETA: Daniel definitely didn't take Bragg's Liquid Aminos.

Also I think the point was that those were the only readily available food stuffs at the time. Fruit or veg was hard to come by so it was miraculous if he found some. Water or milk would likely kill you so it (again) was miraculous that he drank it and didn't die.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the Daniel fast for a month, I feel like this could benefit my body in many ways.... seems similar to vegan diet. I'm starting on February. I feel like this is going to be a challenge since I'm a big time carnivore lol 4cu055jopflw.png

1) The true Daniel fast (the fast Daniel did in the Bible) was done for strictly spiritual reasons. No bodily health/nutritional benefits were ever intended or implied.
    2) The eating plan prescribed here is not in line with the real Daniel fast. Daniel abstained from bread (no whole grains), meat and wine. He also remained in a state of mourning and didn't clean himself up. That's all there was to it from what the Bible tells us.

Yeah, we've done studies on Daniel at our church and the actual Biblical Daniel did not follow Rick Warren and Dr. Oz's plan :p
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

NO, that was Rick Warren and company.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Also I think the point was that those were the only readily available food stuffs at the time. Fruit or veg was hard to come by so it was miraculous if he found some. Water or milk would likely kill you so it (again) was miraculous that he drank it and didn't die.

Are you saying that fruit, vegetables, water, and milk were avoided or not available to all people in that geographic region at that time?
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

Are you saying that fruit, vegetables, water, and milk were avoided or not available to all people in that geographic region at that time?

Water and raw milk were actively avoided due to the high risk of poisoning. . Fruit and veg were simply not always available.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Water and raw milk were actively avoided due to the high risk of poisoning. . Fruit and veg were simply not always available.

Grapes, olives, figs, chickpeas, figs, and pomegranates were all present in the diet of the region, to my understanding. Legumes probably a prominent part of the diet. Fresh fruits and vegetables would have been subject to seasonal availability, but there would been some. Fruit was also dried so it could be eaten in the off-seasons, things like raisins and apricots. People had access to wild greens, mushrooms, garlic, onions, leeks, radishes, etc. These typically were not high prestige foods, but they were available.

Water leaves less of an archeological impression, but people did have access to wells and cisterns and we know that they did consume water. Goat milk was also consumed, it wasn't that it was "likely" to kill you. Yes, there was a risk there, but "likely"? No.

While avoiding bread and meat would have been a challenge, I don't think it would be miraculous for someone survive on that diet given the availability of legumes and the vegetables and fruits in the area.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options

Grapes, olives, figs, chickpeas, figs, and pomegranates were all present in the diet of the region, to my understanding. Legumes probably a prominent part of the diet. Fresh fruits and vegetables would have been subject to seasonal availability, but there would been some. Fruit was also dried so it could be eaten in the off-seasons, things like raisins and apricots. People had access to wild greens, mushrooms, garlic, onions, leeks, radishes, etc. These typically were not high prestige foods, but they were available.

Water leaves less of an archeological impression, but people did have access to wells and cisterns and we know that they did consume water. Goat milk was also consumed, it wasn't that it was "likely" to kill you. Yes, there was a risk there, but "likely"? No.

While avoiding bread and meat would have been a challenge, I don't think it would be miraculous for someone survive on that diet given the availability of legumes and the vegetables and fruits in the area.
    And that's why I said fruit and vegetables were not always available. Because of seasonality. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to launch into a list?
    Goat milk was consumed in the form of cheese and butter . Likewise water was used in heated forms for teas and cooking . But to consume raw milk or water that was often contaminated with sewage and bacteria was deadly (as still it is today). Which is why people usually drank fermented drinks like wine.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

I wouldn't even look for anything miraculous there. Apologies if this is getting away from mfp's purpose, but I'm going to cite a verse. Daniel 1:8-16 for the entire story.
    But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way
    Daniel was being held in a kings palace, being fed the King's "best". This likely included not only veggies and clean water, but meats prepared various ways, cakes and other desserts etc. Not to mention a possibly unlimited supply of wine.

It wouldn't be much of a surprise, or a miracle, for Daniel to look healthier than the others after that 10 day period living off veggies and water.
    So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

I simply see it as Daniel remaining true to his God and to himself here.

Besides, the other young men he was being compared to probably didn't know about CICO. :p
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    The fast that Daniel did in the Bible was purely spiritual. Daniel and his friends refused to eat the king's food and had nothing but vegetables and water. They were expected to become sickly and unhealthy. The fact that they didn't was a miracle. The point of the fast was not weight loss or even good health. It was about standing up for God and not following the king's orders. If you feel compelled to do a "Daniel fast" for spiritual reasons then go for it, but I don't really see any physical benefits to it.
    That's actually a different story. Still a good one though.
    Daniel's fast was a 21 day period of mourning and prayer leading up to a visit from an angel.

Warren's eagerness to twist a spiritual exercise into a diet plan so that he can hawk a book does damage to his credibility as a minister.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    The fast that Daniel did in the Bible was purely spiritual. Daniel and his friends refused to eat the king's food and had nothing but vegetables and water. They were expected to become sickly and unhealthy. The fact that they didn't was a miracle. The point of the fast was not weight loss or even good health. It was about standing up for God and not following the king's orders. If you feel compelled to do a "Daniel fast" for spiritual reasons then go for it, but I don't really see any physical benefits to it.
    Daniel's fast was a 21 day period of mourning and prayer leading up to a visit from an angel.

Warren's eagerness to twist a spiritual exercise into a diet plan so that he can hawk a book does damage to his credibility as a minister.
    There are a couple of versions of the Daniel fast floating around, and both fasts are cited as sources. :)

I agree with you RE Warren as well. It seems to be common these days, but that's another whole topic.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

I wouldn't even look for anything miraculous there. Apologies if this is getting away from mfp's purpose, but I'm going to cite a verse. Daniel 1:8-16 for the entire story.
    But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way
    Daniel was being held in a kings palace, being fed the King's "best". This likely included not only veggies and clean water, but meats prepared various ways, cakes and other desserts etc. Not to mention a possibly unlimited supply of wine.

It wouldn't be much of a surprise, or a miracle, for Daniel to look healthier than the others after that 10 day period living off veggies and water.
    So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

Besides, the other young men he was being compared to probably didn't know about CICO. :p

Yes, this was a matter of Daniel and his friends refusing to disobey God by eating foods forbidden by Jewish law. Because of their faithfulness to Gods commands, they were blessed to be found the most attractive/healthy of the young men they were with (a big deal in that royal society).
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Yes, this was a matter of Daniel and his friends refusing to disobey God by eating foods forbidden by Jewish law. Because of their faithfulness to Gods commands, they were blessed to be found the most attractive/healthy of the young men they were with (a big deal in that royal society).
    Oh, a huge deal for sure. Well said by the way. :)

Off topic side note - The stories of Daniel and Joseph are just...humbling..to me. Daniel's refusal to bow took faith, and a lot of courage.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options

Interesting. I haven't read Warren's book. I guess that is the fast I remembered most from the story. I do get a little annoyed by people twisting things, like a fast in the Bible, to be able to sell books to dieters. I think that fasting for spiritual purposes is totally separate from weight loss or management. Personally I think fasting for weight loss is not a good idea (unless it is IF which I understand to be more about meal timing than actual fasting).
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This was suppose to be a positive post, but everyone is angry or on edge. Well, not everyone. Hmmm anyway, LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! <3<3<3

No, it's just that to post a suggested diet that is so off kilter, and then use the words "cleanse" and "fast"....well, you know. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

And that's why I said fruit and vegetables were not always available. Because of seasonality. So I'm not sure why you felt the need to launch into a list?
    Goat milk was consumed in the form of cheese and butter . Likewise water was used in heated forms for teas and cooking . But to consume raw milk or water that was often contaminated with sewage and bacteria was deadly (as still it is today). Which is why people usually drank fermented drinks like wine.

The reason I felt a need to present a list of foods that were available was because I was countering a statement that it would have been "miraculous" for someone to survive in those conditions -- legumes and fruit were commonly preserved to eat year-round. And people did consume water and milk, to say that it was "likely" to kill you is a vast over-statement.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Was this diet approved by your bariatric team, since you have stated in the past that you have had gastric surgery (I believe RNY)?