Really eat what you want as long as I'm calorie deficit?

Options
Hey guys I'm using my voice recorder sorry for the lack of punctuation and possibly grammar but I've been counting my calories for the last year and up until two months ago I have now been counting my macros and although before I never ate junk food all day long I feel like it was less tedious less of a headache because I just stayed within my calorie deficit and lost weight... and it was working for me now I'm more into weightlifting so I started counting my macros but I really don't want to count my macros anymore I just want to stay in a calorie deficit's not gain weight but still have some muscle so as long as I watch my protein and stay in a calorie deficit do you think counting my macros matters?!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As stated in your other threads, you don't have to count calories or track macros to the gram, but when doing body composition, it is recommended to hit minimum protein and fat levels, as well I believe it is important to have an overall nutritious diet for adequate exercise fuel and recovery. You can definitely fit in treats if your want, however, and as mentioned to you previously.. without tracking, and being so close to goal weight, it will be difficult to know how many calories you have left so it might be difficult to fit in very high cal treats without knowing if you have room for them or not.
    I would say you have a few options: Keep doing what you were doing before... just add more protein or whatever macro you were lacking.. then once you have an idea of how much you need and portion sizes if you want, you can stop logging your food or just estimate it, or half track (weigh some stuff, not others etc).. then pay attention to your progress. I mean, unless your day to day diet changes very significantly, this should work.. ... is it the most optimal? Well.. that will be something you will have to discover for yourself. It may be a bit of trial and error.. and it could take a few weeks to get into deficit, but in the end it can be done.

I hope that made sense.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thank you I know it seems like I'm posting the same thing but I'm a very indecisive person and I'm a creature of habit so when I have to do something new it freaks me out and then I over analyze and then I spend like my day up sussing over it but what can I tell you I'm a woman lol
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Well a lot of them do!
  • Famof72015
    Options
    I'm not here to get into a dispute or have a discussion about anything else other than food.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't really understand the question OP... so let me ask a couple of follow up questions.

1. What is your overall weight related goal - to lose, maintain, or gain?
    2. What is your fitness/body composition goal?
    3. Are you planning to continue counting calories and just want to give up counting macros? But you are concerned that is counterintuitive to your goals outlined in questions 1 & 2 above?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    I'm not here to get into a dispute or have a discussion about anything else other than food.

This is confusing, given that this conversation started when you made a completely non-food statement judging half the people on Earth.

But if you're deciding that you don't want to continue to discuss your thoughts on women, I understand. Good luck meeting your weight loss goals.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Just answering the question at the end of the OP, counting macros is a primary function of mfp for me. I'm within a couple of pounds of my goal, given fluctuations, and want to maintain and strengthen muscle as much as possible. I personally like knowing I'm hitting my protein and fat goals. Carbs are easy to hit, but I have, in the past, missed the other two fairly frequently.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    Yes I had no clue before about fat protein or carbs until I started with my online coach and started my lifting program I was still losing weight but definitely not hitting those other three goals probably not even close to it I guess the hard part for me is hitting the macros but still staying below my calorie deficit and coming up with meals that's probably the hardest thing and not eating the same thing every day
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    Yes I had no clue before about fat protein or carbs until I started with my online coach and started my lifting program I was still losing weight but definitely not hitting those other three goals probably not even close to it I guess the hard part for me is hitting the macros but still staying below my calorie deficit and coming up with meals that's probably the hardest thing and not eating the same thing every day
    Do a lot of research on the web. There are meal suggestions all over the place for weightlifters. You might also want to consider a protein supplement. They can be had pretty cheaply all over, and protein is what you want to make sure you hit your macros on.

I'm using Optimum Nutrition whey right now. Their double chocolate is awesome :)

edit: Here's the link to a bunch of useful threads. It's at the top of the food and nutrition forum.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300312/most-helpful-posts-food-and-nutrition-must-reads#latest