How does a person workout if...

Options
They feel tired after 20 mins of playing just dance game?? Like I use to use it for my weightloss but I gained 40 lbs since then and I'm still obese..and before I stopped I lost 20 something lbs on it. It was fun to me... I really want to loose 1 pound a week but will 20 mins begoood or should I be working out more then that? Thinking of using treadmill. Cause I'm not sure how many mins i should be working out to loose weight.

Replies

• Awillz_Conqueror
    Awillz_Conqueror Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There are a few factors to consider. Do you sit most of the day? How intense will the 20 minutes be? How's your diet?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Hey, nothing wrong with fitting in 20 minutes of a dance game a day. It's a good thing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get much exercise in until I dieted down a bit. Nothing wring with that. You do what you can. Eventually you'll be able to do more as you get smaller and stronger.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,168 Member
    Options
    Twenty minutes is good! As you get more accustomed to the dancing again, you may feel like you want to do more. And as you lose weight, it may also be easier to do more, if you want to.

Like others have said, you don't necessarily have to exercise to lose weight, you just need to eat fewer calories than you burn in your daily life. But exercise can help with health and staying strong while losing weight, just as eating nutritiously can do also.

Personally, I find it important to do active things that I think are fun, and not to over-do them to the point that they aren't fun anymore. ;)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just do what you are able to do and do more every day.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    You do the 20 minutes and then work your way up to more.

It's how people increase strength. Push to your limit and the limit will get higher with repetition.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Do twenty minutes at an intensity that suits your ability. You'll start to develop more stamina and gradually be able to dance longer.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    20 minutes is a good start. Or 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening. Go for short walks and gradually build up the time. Any activity that you enjoy doing will help you get more fit. I read somewhere that studies show that 10 minutes of moderate intensity exercise done 3 or 4 times a day works as well as 30-40 minutes non-stop.
  • isabellapanzica9387
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. Though losing weight takes a long time and exercising will help you gain muscle and be more active.

When it comes to working out do what you think is more fun. Weight loss is a long journey and it can be hard at times. By haveing something fun like dancing is going to make that journey easier.

When it comes to the tred mill it is boring compared to dancing. Personally I love the elliptical since it I find it easier then the tred mill to keep at a more intence speed for longer periods of time. I recommend that you try out a few of the machines one day and see which one works best with you if you decide to switch to a machine from dancing.

I wish you the best of luck and happiness during your weight loss journey. :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I started off obese, and did the 30 day shred, it was 20 mins. But the longest 20 mins of my life. That's all I could do because the aches and pains I had were awful. God forbid if I had to start all over again I would have just walked
    The most important thing was me watching what I ate and logging as accurately as possible

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    They feel tired after 20 mins of playing just dance game?? Like I use to use it for my weightloss but I gained 40 lbs since then and I'm still obese..and before I stopped I lost 20 something lbs on it. It was fun to me... I really want to loose 1 pound a week but will 20 mins begoood or should I be working out more then that? Thinking of using treadmill. Cause I'm not sure how many mins i should be working out to loose weight.
    You're unconditioned. And like any athlete who hasn't played their sport in awhile, you'll suck at endurance and stamina. So you work up slowly to it. If you're consistent with effort and repetition, you'll get there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    do what you can. your stamina and ability will increase in time. When I first started working out, 10 minutes on the elliptical and i was DEAD.

2 years later (and after taking a 6 month total sabbatical due to life issues) .... an hour+ is easy.
  • LeeBGoode
    LeeBGoode Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some credit, 20 minutes is awesome! When I first started the most I could do was 10 minutes on my stationary bike. I added 5 minutes every week and now I can peddle for hours! Not that I do, that's boring :wink:

It doesn't matter so much where you start, just slowly add time and you will be surprised how quickly you adapt. Like others have pointed out, weight loss comes from a calorie deficit which can be achieved through exercise, reducing food intake, or a combination of the two.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hey! I do Just Dance too!!! It's so much fun!

20 minutes may be a perfect workout for you, and you should pat yourself on the back for doing it. When doing workouts the idea is to do an exercise for the right time, intensity, and interest for you... not comparing yourself to someone else. Or a past version of you.

If you want to do treadmill, do treadmill. If you don't want to do it, that's good too.

On MFP plan, exercise really does compliment the overall calorie reduction plan but technically you don't even have to do that...some people on this site can't exercise at all!
  • dizzysarah
    dizzysarah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    20 mins is Great
    You're burning calories.

Walk too, I've been doing my walking indoors to reach my 10000 steps. I posted about it the other day and was reccomded to try Leslie sansone videos on YouTube, well worth a go. :)
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    20 mins is better than nothing :) it's still working out! You WILL build up stamina, 20 mins one day...maybe 22 the next? Try in little increments! Or do 20 mins in the morning, 20 at night? OR just take breaks! Do 5 mins (maybe one CRAZY song, then sit down for one, up for the next, sit for one. There's no use you're hurting yourself (mentally or physically, same difference) trying to do to much because then you wont keep it up! GOOD LUCK!!!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Losing weight occurs from eating less calories than you burn.
    Just log everything you, drink, and the exercise you do.
    As long as you are at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Lose weight with a calorie deficit. Reduce the calories you consume.
    20 minutes of exercise is fine. As you lose weight and continue exercise you will be able to do more.