Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What activities burn the most calories?

2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Lifting. I love it, and I burn a ton of calories.

Other than that - climbing the stairs burns a lot of calories.
    Not really. Anaerobic exercise burns about half the calories that an aerobic exercise does for the same intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Lifting burns more over time. Cardio burns more while you're doing cardio.
    EPOC is HIGHLY exaggerated. This is a myth that's been pushed around for decades. Search Azdak's thread on this.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Human bodies burn calories during the day and night with or without exercising as long as we're alive. That's called a passive calorie burning.The weight lifting uses all your muscles and it increases your passive calorie burning rate. Which means your body is burning more fat after you're done working out. So I would say, weight lifting is crucial to burning calories.
  • ninerbuff
    Because it's relative to someone's fitness level, just about any aerobic exercise done to threshold will burn a lot of calories for that person. Fitter people will burn more because of speed and endurance over someone else doing the same workout who isn't fit.
    The key here is doing exercises that you can do. Swimming laps at a good speed burns a lot of calories, but if you can't swim, it's useless.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    CX skate has to be the king of the hill when it comes to calorie burning. You are engaging your core with a good double pole technique and all of your legs with the skate. If you look at some of the athletes with the highest VO2 maxes in the world a number of them are CX skiers. I can send my heart rate through the roof with very little effort.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Swimming is a fantastic calorie burn for me.

Realistically though. The best exercises are the ones you enjoy and will stick to. It's all fine and dandy to say running, swimming, hiit etc is best but if you hate it (like I hate running), you just won't do it over the long term.
  • Laff923
    Laff923 Posts: 1 Member
    Find yourself a boxing gym. Best hour of my week. Burn a ton of calories and release stress through punching stuff (or people, if that's your thing).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Nordic skiing.
    CX skate has to be the king of the hill when it comes to calorie burning. You are engaging your core with a good double pole technique and all of your legs with the skate. If you look at some of the athletes with the highest VO2 maxes in the world a number of them are CX skiers. I can send my heart rate through the roof with very little effort.

I do classic, and it's a great day when I can keep up with the slowest skate skiers. I'm going to have to give it a try some time.
  • GrahamUK72
    GrahamUK72 Posts: 255 Member
    Laff923 wrote: »
    Find yourself a boxing gym. Best hour of my week. Burn a ton of calories and release stress through punching stuff (or people, if that's your thing).

So true

Never appreciated just how exhausting boxing is