Fast or slow in making life changes?

Options
Do you feel like you do better at adopting a healthy lifestyle when you
(A) Make a lot of changes at once (daily workouts, strict food weighing/counting calories, etc)
or
(B) Make a few small changes that snowball (just worry about logging food for a few weeks, then start slowly cutting back on calories, then start getting more precise on weighing food, etc. or start with 1000 more steps a day, then add one day a week at the gym, then build up)?

I feel like A gets you more results faster and might be the best way for a lot of people to respond when they've finally hit the point where they decide to make a change....but it could lead to burn out. Method B avoids burnout, but you run this risk of giving up because you don't see the results of small changes until you've done them for a lot longer).

Replies

• fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For me it was B. That being said, ultimately I knew I had to renegotiate everything.

Intake was at the top of the list. Logging here allowed me to get a fairly quick handle on that element.

Then I began to work on moving more. One thing led to another and it worked.

I still consider myself a "work-in-progress" though. Always reassessing things and making changes. Never static.

Looking back, for me, doing ALL at once, I would have failed.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    slowly worked much better for me
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald recommends B. He's seen too many women flame out with A.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLcjhm4-CSg&index=7&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I personally made a goal to lose 1/2 a week for a year. I succeeded (and have gone over a little since the 1 year mark). I don't believe that the all or nothing or fast results is always the best way. I know I can eat at or around my 1400 calorie plan while working out 3-4 times per week for 30-40 minutes a session and be happy and at goal weight. Good luck
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    B.

I enjoy participating in athletic events (even though I'm not fast), so I thought I'd start working out again. Then I recognized that I'd perform better if I ate to fuel my training. Heck, if I'm watching what and when I eat, I might as well watch how much I eat too. Hey, I'm losing weight, which is making me faster! I should keep going! :)
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Option A failed for me over and over. When I finally gave Option B a chance it worked. I've made a lot of changes over the past year, but not all at the same time. I started with counting my calories in, once I had that under control started working on incorporating more exercise. Once I'd been eating well and exercising regularly for about 6 months, I worked on quitting smoking. Now I've been eating well, exercising regularly, and not smoking for months. If I'd tried to do those all at once I would have failed at all 3.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    B works better for me, but I'm a major planner, so if I hit that ready to change everything stage I put together a multi-part year long plan to get me where I'm going using method B, and therefore I can see how all the small things fit in. Maybe a compromise? ;-)
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    (A) Make a lot of changes at once (daily workouts, strict food weighing/counting calories, etc)
    or
    (B) Make a few small changes that snowball (just worry about logging food for a few weeks, then start slowly cutting back on calories, then start getting more precise on weighing food, etc. or start with 1000 more steps a day, then add one day a week at the gym, then build up)?

I feel like A gets you more results faster and might be the best way for a lot of people to respond when they've finally hit the point where they decide to make a change....but it could lead to burn out. Method B avoids burnout, but you run this risk of giving up because you don't see the results of small changes until you've done them for a lot longer).

For me - The A method of a complete overhaul@approach/discipline to this lifestyle commitment was the other reason I'd agreed to doing this from the very beginning@time sensitivity. Unfortunately, inasmuch as method B's progressive development is seemingly more ideal - the drag would've been incredibly discouraging and frustrating - I'd quit.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Only quick changes I made were...

1. Reduce Calories
    2. Log
    3. Walk 15 min 3 x week

Everything thing else falls under B for me.

Slowly learned how to moderate foods, which foods are worth the calories and which ones are worth eating occasionally. I started weighing some foods after 6 months. I hired an online trainer to help with a strength program. I played with my macros for increased satiaty.

Actually I'm still making small changes and I'm sure I will continue to do so.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    or

For me - The A method of a complete overhaul@approach/discipline to this lifestyle commitment was the other reason I'd agreed to doing this from the very beginning@time sensitivity. Unfortunately, inasmuch as method B's progressive development is seemingly more ideal - the drag would've been incredibly discouraging and frustrating - I'd quit.

Small changes don't mean there aren't big results though. Just hitting calorie deficit targets is going to result in big changes...my weight pretty much just fell off doing nothing else but hitting my calorie targets. Nutrition was something I had to learn...I didn't want to just do the latest restriction diet in Men's Health or whatever...I wanted to learn how to eat a properly nutritious and balanced diet. Taking my time with nutrition and overhauling my diet slowly was not an impediment to me losing weight in the least...I lost weight on average at the rate I had stated as my goal.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    or

Small changes don't mean there aren't big results though. Just hitting calorie deficit targets is going to result in big changes...my weight pretty much just fell off doing nothing else but hitting my calorie targets. Nutrition was something I had to learn...I didn't want to just do the latest restriction diet in Men's Health or whatever...I wanted to learn how to eat a properly nutritious and balanced diet. Taking my time with nutrition and overhauling my diet slowly was not an impediment to me losing weight in the least...I lost weight on average at the rate I had stated as my goal.

I wholeheartedly agree. The OP will see that either works depending on a multitude of reasons/personalities.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    or

Ditto for me@A. I am results oriented person. I needed to see big changes or I would've quit. I did not burn out. To me for those who burn out, they have the privilege to opt out.
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    I recommend option C: Do what you can do, and when you can do more, do more. Every little bit helps.

Option C became a necessity post injury during my recovery phase.

Option B was the appropriate approach for me to take after I had reached a comfortable weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    or

Personally, I've been slender and active almost my entire life ... and I've been logging my exercise every day since April 29, 1990.

Occasionally, my activity level has dropped for one reason or another (but I've never stopped logging) + I've stopped paying attention to what I eat ... and I gain a bit of weight.

When I decide it is time to get back on track again, my first move is usually to increase the amount of exercise I'm doing for a few weeks ... and then to start logging meticulously.

Increasing the amount of exercise I'm doing is an enjoyable way to get started, and sometime it is enough for me to lose those few lbs. If, however, I've got a bit more to lose, then I'll log for a month or so.

This most recent time, I decided to do something wild and crazy and log for 16 weeks, then take a break from the logging for a month, and log again for another 16 weeks to bring myself right down into the lower half of my normal BMI range. :)

• mactaffy428
    mactaffy428 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm an "A" for this, but I think it has to do with your own personality type. When I decide I'm in, heck, I'm in all the way. No crashes so far. I haven't done anything unsustainable (no craziness) but I jumped in with counting calories, exercising pretty much 7 days a week (unless sick, of course), and better nutrition (but, yes, still have the ability to eat some chocolate ice cream). But this is really personal; how do you typically handle other things? That will help you decide how to start things.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    okay.. I'll be sexist. From all the reading on here.... Men kill it by going balls to the wall. They go all in and do it by the book and get it done fast. It really makes me sick. haha.

Women? We snowball way better to goal.