Options
2»

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    OK guys, I'm 62 and finally coming out of menopause--it lasted 8 yrs. When I was just starting I had the same problem. I was nervous, and snapping at everyone. I felt out of control of myself. I live in Italy and read an article one day about a doctor researching melatonin. He said it could really help with menopausal problems such as irritability. I was desperate and thought "What the hell, why not". I started taking 3g of melatonin 1/2 hour before going to bed. I was astounded at how well it worked. After I finished a bottle, I didn't buy another and I was right back to "mean". So, I've been taking it ever since, and I won't give it up.

Thank you. Awesome that it worked for you. I'm a little reluctant to take hormones though. Did you have any side effects? @snowflake954

Melatonin isn't a hormone--my gyn forbid hormones. Research it. People use it often to regularate their sleep cycles. That's what it's known for, but it does alot more. It's something we produce naturally until about 25 yrs, then start to slack off. For me it was a lifesaver.

Melatonin is a hormone made in the pineal gland in the brain.

Sorry--my bad. My gynecologist told me to take it (but I was already), since she personally knew the doctor doing the research. We discussed it at length. She takes it too. She refused to let me do hormone treatments (this in the day that they were all the rage in the States). A little while after, the research came out on them, and I was glad she had taken that stance. OP-check into it yourself.

I wish the article I have was in English. It was so interesting and came out about 10 yrs ago. Alot of women got their peiods back for a while after taking it. I just wanted to solve the "nervousness issue" and it worked--for me. The researchers name is Dr Pierpaoli, if I remember right. If you do decide to try, let me know how it goes--I'm just curious. I did tell some friends years back and they had good results too.
    I will, although i wish nervousness was my issue, well not really, of course. But I'm too impatient, irritable, not my normal calm, cool, laid back self
  • icemom011
    Options
    So should i talk to my wife that my mood swings and irritability are possibly hormonal and i have very little control over it right now and I'm not just mean and b**tchy because she did something wrong. It's causing problems already, and I'm seriously worried. Or i should wait and try to do hormone levels check to confirm first that it's actually my hormones that gone whacky? Opinions?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    So should i talk to my wife that my mood swings and irritability are possibly hormonal and i have very little control over it right now and I'm not just mean and b**tchy because she did something wrong. It's causing problems already, and I'm seriously worried. Or i should wait and try to do hormone levels check to confirm first that it's actually my hormones that gone whacky? Opinions? [/quote
    ]

Why not tell her how you're feeling ... reassure her it's not her (unless maybe it IS relationship strain).

Personally, I'd tell her the symptoms not wait for an answer why. Hormonal imbalance is just one cause of irritability.

Surely your wife cares how you are feeling not just about why.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It could be a few things in combination. My bet would be menopause - I'm already taking hormones for that, and I just turned 50 last year.

The other thing could be: I remember when I started seeing a therapist, he asked me if now that I was losing weight and dealing with the emotions, if things really aggravated me more so than ever before. YES!!! Things that never seemed to bother me enough to say anything were now big deals enough to almost be pet peeves. LOL. And apparently, the looks I would give were priceless. I was talking to a friend about someone who had been whining to me about something and said, "OMG - Boo-f&cking-hoo!!" And she busted a gut laughing. Apparently, I was in rare form that night.

I'd call the obgyn to see if your hormones should be checked.
  • icemom011
    Options
    quote="Psychgrrl;38716934"]Maybe get some coping skills in order, if you haven't already. When you get stressed/hormonal/hangry/pissed off you need a way to channel that energy.

I work with my students on this: walking, running, working out, listening to music, watching a favorite tv show/movie, gardening, reading, whatever. Find a positive way to redirect yourself. Or, at least, something that's less negative.

I would say, in spite of your hormones or whatever, you do have control over how you treat others. To tell your partner you can't help yourself is disrespectful to her and to you.

"Yoga, because punching people gets you arrested." [/quote]
    I agree, it sounds like I'm making an excuse for my not so appropriate behavior. That's not the goal though, i would love to get a handle on it. All those things you've mentioned, they helps. I ride bike, go for a long walk when I'm extremely frustrated, i garden, etc. But do you have any tips for getting it under control in a shorter time, all those activities are time consuming and there's not always a possibility of walking away from the situation or a person, plus, it might also seem disrespectful. I want to be able to get my emotions in check relatively quickly, make it less obvious, i guess, and have more appropriate reactions, @Psychgrrl
  • icemom011
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »
    It could be a few things in combination. My bet would be menopause - I'm already taking hormones for that, and I just turned 50 last year.

The other thing could be: I remember when I started seeing a therapist, he asked me if now that I was losing weight and dealing with the emotions, if things really aggravated me more so than ever before. YES!!! Things that never seemed to bother me enough to say anything were now big deals enough to almost be pet peeves. LOL. And apparently, the looks I would give were priceless. I was talking to a friend about someone who had been whining to me about something and said, "OMG - Boo-f&cking-hoo!!" And she busted a gut laughing. Apparently, I was in rare form that night.

Yes, that's exactly it, helps to know that I'm not going crazy and others go through similar experience and deal with same feelings. And although I'm really opposed to taking hormones, maybe it's something that could be helpful in getting this under control. Thank you. Do you have any side effects from hormones , @cebreisch ?
  • cebreisch
    Options
    cebreisch wrote: »

Yes, that's exactly it, helps to know that I'm not going crazy and others go through similar experience and deal with same feelings. And although I'm really opposed to taking hormones, maybe it's something that could be helpful in getting this under control. Thank you. Do you have any side effects from hormones , @cebreisch ?

There can be side effects depending on what you take. Some estrogens have been linked to cancer when taken orally. It's important to find a doctor who prescribes bio identical hormones. Some can be in the form of a cream or patch or taken vaginally to reduce any cancer risk.
  • cebreisch
    Options
    I haven't noticed any negative side effects but it did take some time to get the dosage straightened out.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Thank you very much!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    So should i talk to my wife that my mood swings and irritability are possibly hormonal and i have very little control over it right now and I'm not just mean and b**tchy because she did something wrong. It's causing problems already, and I'm seriously worried. Or i should wait and try to do hormone levels check to confirm first that it's actually my hormones that gone whacky? Opinions?

I would definitely talk to her about it. Not making excuses for your behavior if you are treating her badly or saying it is ok to snap her, but just explaining what you think is going on and that you are having a hard time dealing with it. I don't know how old she is, but there is a good chance she will have similar issues herself some day. I would think as a woman she could be more empathetic than a man.
  • icemom011
    Options
    @snowflake954 , i did try melatonin, and use it occasionally, it helps with falling asleep earlier. Thank you for your suggestion!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and still have regular periods, so I'm not sure where I stand with menopause. Also have lost 70# and have been a huge *kitten* while doing so. Sleep helps. Walking helps. Eating high nutrition food helps. But if I get really hungry, hide the guns.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I swear by St Johns Wort, Also B Complex and maybe some ginseng. It keeps my husband alive lol
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This chart was shared on a perimenopause thread I follow. I think it pretty much says it all!

hylm4clpzfhn.gif

You might be interested in the thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482404/is-it-over-yet-the-perimenopause-thread/p1

Edited: sorry- the link didn't work & can't find the original. It was a chart showing hormone levels before, during, & after menopause. The before was completely consistent & regular, after was flat-lined, but peri-menopause looks like a toddler just scribbled all over a paper!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How many calories per day do you eat?
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You are looking at a bunch of things. Perimenopause can definitely disrupt your sleep. If you aren't getting enough to start with that's another issue. Please start getting more sleep. I am personally a lot like a cranky two year old at bedtime. I have chores that aren't done sometimes, I have one more chapter to read or one more episode to watch. I have started going to bed and trying for 7-8 hours sleep a night a few weeks ago and it has made a tremendous difference in my attitude. Make this the first thing you try. It's free and you don't need medication. Good luck. having a negative attitude is very isolating. Even the people who love you don't want to be around you.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    If you don't have abuse issues or Rx conflicts with alcohol, maybe have a small glass of very hoppy, low alcohol content beer with your dinner. Beer is relaxing to drink and some studies suggest the phytoestrogens (though very low) in the hops can effect hormone levels in humans. And if it doesn't work for you, you can simply stop having it instead of having to ween off like estrogen pills.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    I swear by St Johns Wort, Also B Complex and maybe some ginseng. It keeps my husband alive lol

I would keep that in mind,thank you.
    try2again wrote: »
    This chart was shared on a perimenopause thread I follow. I think it pretty much says it all!

hylm4clpzfhn.gif

You might be interested in the thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482404/is-it-over-yet-the-perimenopause-thread/p1

Edited: sorry- the link didn't work & can't find the original. It was a chart showing hormone levels before, during, & after menopause. The before was completely consistent & regular, after was flat-lined, but peri-menopause looks like a toddler just scribbled all over a paper!

Yes, something definitely is happening in this department, my periods just suddenly stopped in February, then had a random one in June, then nothing again. Had hormones checked, dr. said all looks ok, but still no periods? I don't take any meds for it, melatonin and caffeine free tea is what i do to help me fall asleep, and it's a work in progress. I've made some improvements, so i sleep 7 1/2 hours most nights, yeah! Also want to try gmo-free organic soy milk, isn't there some estrogen that can possibly help?
  • icemom011
    Options
    If you don't have abuse issues or Rx conflicts with alcohol, maybe have a small glass of very hoppy, low alcohol content beer with your dinner. Beer is relaxing to drink and some studies suggest the phytoestrogens (though very low) in the hops can effect hormone levels in humans. And if it doesn't work for you, you can simply stop having it instead of having to ween off like estrogen pills.
    I'm not much of a drinker, on a rare occasion, but i do make kombucha, that i drink daily, and i guess because i don't drink much, i get very light buzz out of it, so there's that.
    I started this thread back in January, so there are some positive changes for me, I'm happy to report that . Not all is great, of course, but definitely improvements.
    I appreciate all the support and advice, it also helps to know that I'm not the only one dealing with this, so thanks to all of you who responded without blaming it on "being a woman", although there might be a sliver of truth to that ;)