Chicken breast and sweet potato diet

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I just discovered how easy it is to bake chicken breast so I'm going to try eating 1 chicken breast and a 1/3 of sweet potato for breakfast and dinner (until I get bored of it) and for lunch just a healthy option since I'm not home during lunch hours.

Anyone ever done this and had success, along with exxersize?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you planning on eating per day?
  • mhlew
    Options
    2000 but will probably be less with this diet I'm thinking around 1600-1700
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I love chicken breast and I love sweet potatoes... but every day twice a day? That sounds horribly bland to me.

Maybe try and find some more easy alternatives to make that you can also batch cook and freeze so that you have them readily available.

Also, if your goal is to eat 2000 a day (I assume that's what you calculated you need to eat to lose weight), why oh why would you want to short change yourself and eat less?
  • mhlew
    Options
    Well I'm find with bland/same thing every day. I eventually will get bored but I think I can last longer than most.

I baked a bunch and just put ot in Tupperware and just cut off how much chicken I'm gonna eat.
  • LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Could you get the necessary nutrients from that diet long term?
  • mhlew
    Options
    Not sure just doing it now to get a boost. I don't see myself eating only chicken and sweet potatoes on 1/25/18
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    that sounds horrible.

why would you do that?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    I just discovered how easy it is to bake chicken breast so I'm going to try eating 1 chicken breast and a 1/3 of sweet potato for breakfast and dinner (until I get bored of it) and for lunch just a healthy option since I'm not home during lunch hours.
    Lots of things are just as easy to make.

What kind of success?

Not sure just doing it now to get a boost.
    What kind of boost are you looking for, and how will this diet give you that?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't be successful on a diet as restrictive as that because I'd get bored to tears and would probably quit after 48 hours. I need variety and balance in my diet. Why not at least switch it up in the morning with eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc etc etc? Or is the plan to cook two servings at night and have the leftover serving in the AM for breakfast (a chicken and sweet potato omelette, perhaps)?

PS - I really hope this turns into another Easy Mac thread. :#
    @CafeRacer808
    I saw that in the store for the first time the other day... never seen it before that. Did that thread get shut down or just die?
    i mean, my dogs eat sweet potato and chicken every day but .... theyre dogs.

@callsitlikeiseeit; How's it working for them, have they had success? That's pretty awesome they like sweet potatoes! :D

@mhlew
    OP do plan to mix the chicken up some? Here's a couple ideas what if you cut the chicken breast up into strips or nugget sized pieces and dip it in egg and then roll in Panko bread crumbs and bake it. Making chicken tenders or homemade nuggets are a fun change. It's always nice to have something different to do with chicken to switch it up.

That might keep you enjoying chicken for quite awhile. :smiley: Stir fry chicken with sweet potatoes and other veggies would be really simple and tasty & quick. If you ate the chicken and sweet potato (which are very nutritious BTW) and tossed it in a simple dark green salad and tossed in some goat cheese. That would give some great variety, be simple to do and get some healthy fats mixed in for the day. Oh, or avocado slices either in the salad or along side the chicken and sweet potatoes.

You're doing this because it's an easy meal to fix? How about chicken thighs so you get a bit of fat in your diet along with the sweet potatoes?

Just tossing out ideas, I know you didn't ask me for any but sharing some anyway. :laugh:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    If you are eating chicken and sweet potato twice a day as PART of your intake - ie you eat plenty of other things too and you are eating to your correct calorie level - then, fine.

You may get bored with it and cut back/ swap to something else - you may not.

As I've mentioned on here before, almost every working day my breakfast is 3 weetbix. Has been for years. I'm not bored with it yet - but if I want a change, I will change

So will you I guess. And anyone else who enjoys repetitive meals, whatever item they happen to be.

Nothing wrong with blandness or repitition if you like it - as long as you are balancing the repeated food with other foods in your total diet and as long as you eat to correct calorie level and as long as you are aware that it is fine to swap to something else if/when you want to.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be successful on a diet as restrictive as that because I'd get bored to tears and would probably quit after 48 hours. I need variety and balance in my diet. Why not at least switch it up in the morning with eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc etc etc? Or is the plan to cook two servings at night and have the leftover serving in the AM for breakfast (a chicken and sweet potato omelette, perhaps)?

@CafeRacer808
    I saw that in the store for the first time the other day... never seen it before that. Did that thread get shut down or just die?

Did not get shut down, is still open
    But I think winding down - only so much one can say on the topic
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Why not rotate some different meals to prevent boredom? So mince beef, steak, pork loin, turkey, ham with a carb source...rice, potato, sweet potato, oats?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

@callsitlikeiseeit; How's it working for them, have they had success? That's pretty awesome they like sweet potatoes! :D

they loooooooooooooooove baked sweet potato LOLOL

theyve had success as far as good skin and coats go. but theyre all kinda pudgy. except the puppy. but give her time LOLOLOLOL
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

they loooooooooooooooove baked sweet potato LOLOL

theyve had success as far as good skin and coats go. but theyre all kinda pudgy. except the puppy. but give her time LOLOLOLOL

:laugh:
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

@CafeRacer808

Did not get shut down, is still open
    But I think winding down - only so much one can say on the topic

:laugh: very true!