WTH is going on?

Options
124»

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If the OP is doing exercise every day, then that means that she may be not taking a day in between to rest for the body to repair itself. I understand exercise to be that exercise tears the muscles, and when you sleep the muscles repair itself with new muscles, and if you exercise every day without a break, your body cant do the repair and so that may be why you are messing up.. Someone here who is more knowledgeable may be able to enhance what I am saying, but maybe she is not taking the time to rest - thereby letting the body create new muscle that it needs to do?????? so by doing too much exercise without rest maybe she is screwing up that and why her body is not changing, she just needs more rest??????

This is a very valid point actually.

So many people think they have to train everyday and have no rest, but that can be a recipe for disaster for many people because as you rightly pointed out, the body has no spare days to do its repairing and have adequate recovery.

I also think a lot of people do not realize that having rest days IS part of their training.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    After how horrible you have been to others in the forums you have the audacity to come in here and ask for help?

That takes balls.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    BUT RUNNERS HAVE MUSCLES! - my friend has very huge thigh muscles. She had them before she started running. It's just her build. Running made her lose a lot of inches from everywhere including her thighs. And now that she's smaller, her thighs are more muscular then anything else. But they always were. I use to run and continued having stick legs. Also many runners do strength programs. And are not eating at a deficit. And have good genes, etc

BUT IM THE SAME WEIGHT - If you're not losing weight over a fair period of time then you're not on a calorie deficit. So if you're eating close to maintenance, then maybe you did gain muscle when your body had a surplus fuel to make it.

BUT IM LOSING INCHES - How many inches? I can gain and lose several in 1 day. We can change inches just by changing our hydration levels. If I exercise hard I can tack on a bunch of hydration inches to that area which falls off with then some if I'm on a deficit. If I stop working out so hard those short lived inches start disappearing. You say you exercise every day, that means you're not giving your body time to repair and re-hydrate, maybe that's why you haven't noticed it.

BUT YOU CANNOT GAIN MUSCLE ON A DEFICIT ASIDE FROM NEWBIE - So if you go from doing nothing to something then you are absolutely making your muscles stronger then what they were. That doesn't mean they're growing. Look at all the twigs at the gym trying to get big with great fail. And if it's cardio it tops out quite quickly. And that's coming from a hiker and a use to be cardio bunny. And if it's weights it can top out quickly too. That's coming from me doing Spartacus. I could only get up the weights to 20lbs because it was like cardio and I couldn't progress quick enough because my muscles would be tired. Unless you're doing things to progressively make yourself stronger like increasing the weights etc, you're going to see changes to a point and they're going to stop. That's if your weight isn't changing of course. If your weight is changing, you can see a huge drop in inches gone if you're getting stronger or weaker.

And that's my 2 cents.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    191473421627428288_b8i1XCl4_c.jpg

Yes Thank You.. MUSCLE is DENSER than FAT it Doesn't "weigh more".
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    After how horrible you have been to others in the forums you have the audacity to come in here and ask for help?

That takes balls.

Wha?.....subtext!
    and the plot thickens...
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna get into all the arguing about the other stuff.

HOWEVER, If you are 130 pounds, and YOU SAY people are commenting that you are starting to like stickly, and your TDEE sounds like you are probably in the "highly active" category from all that cardio all day, is sounds to me like 1400 is way too low for you. Bet if you upped your cals a bit you would get the whoosh you're looking for, and you'll be less likely to rebound your losses.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    EDIT: to delete meaningful response.

That takes balls.

I completely overlooked this point...which is very valid.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

That takes balls.

And people are actually trying to help. If that doesn't speak volumes about the kindness (or short memories) of the posters here, I don't know what does.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What people are failing to do is read your OP.

You are walking 11 hrs? Plus working out? Guess what - that is a low grade resistance exercise that will do the following :

Retain tissue - particularly leg muscle from extensive weight based distance training, but not significantly develop leg muscles.
    Increase glycogen stores - and water retention - even long term because you are training your body to retain glycogen to feed your walks.
    Increase low grade inflammation (maybe) from overtraining and insufficient rest.
    Osteoblastic activity (a very maybe maybe) bone molding from active walking can lead to a kilo change in an adult woman over a period of 18 months but requires going from sedentary to very active and likely not at your starting weight.

So yeah, if you went from not walking to lots of walking you did build some leg muscle but not significant amounts, long term glycogen storage (and water) are likeliest. As is water retention due to low grade inflammation (especially if chronic pain is involved.)
This discussion has been closed.