planet fitness or golds gym

Options
124»

Replies

• kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I belonged to PF for a few years and hated it. It was cheap, but they didn't offer ANYTHING like classes, or special workouts or anything.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    for the $2o.oo rate you get to bring a friend for free. I use them. they are open mon tue wed thur 24 hr. fri sat sun I believe 7 to 7. I love them but I might switch because they don't have classes and I work late on weekends. I can only afford the low rate but am checking into other options. I have lost weight with them and everyone is nice. just want more options.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree. I' ve never eaten that there. but if I was hungry I would. I have diabetes so I have to eat because not eating is worse for me. I occasionally eat pizza. I see the tootsie rolls and I always say yum but walk past them. if i'm going to eat something it has to be great. I only have so many calories and I choose what I want. other gyms sell protein supplements etc. people should stop whining.
  • Naturalhiker
    Options
    Our golds gym just became Fitness Connection which is like a golds gym for the PF price :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Geesh!!! WTF with people having a problem with pizza, bagels and Tootsie Rolls at PF. Are they shoving that stuff down your throat??? Damn, just walk past it. If you can't, then it's your fault for eating it. And seriously, one slice isn't going to kill you. It reminds me of people blaming McDonald's for getting them fat. haha!!!

Dude. It's weird.
    It's almost like they want people to stay fat so they never leave. Or that they think their clientele is so low on the health totem pole that that's what they go for. I don't know, but I'm kind of insulted and I don't even go there.
    My gym would NEVER have the ovaries to have a pizza night.

I'm learning so much about Planet Fitness from this thread! I never knew it was so scandelous

Pizza and bagels don't make you fat. If my gym had pizza night I hit them up for a whole pie every time and I'd still make weight
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty happy with Planet Fitness, I'm a black card member, mainly because I travel with my job and it allows me to have access to a gym if the hotel workout room isn't enough. However, I'm not a workout at the gym only kinda person, esp come summer as I like to be outside to run/walk/hike, biking, rollerblading, swimming. In the winter it does the job and I can get in and out and rarely ever have to wait for equipment. As for classes, I do like a few fun ones from time to time, however I look for Groupons at private studios and actually prefer the more intimate setting than Gold's Gym (I was a former member) Every location I'm sure is different, but at the Gold's Gym I went to, many people there were sizing you up, not smiling or friendly (not that we really go there to socialize) and I always dreaded gym workout days that I got to the point I was wasting money and signing up for more private studio classes. So for me the small cost at Planet Fitness just to have access to some weights and cardio machines on rainy or winter days, and even with taking different classes at various studios is still cheaper, the folks there are friendly, both workers and those working out, never had an issue with cleanliness, flexible hours and I'm happier. Currently, I'm working on a home gym and have a barbell, plates, dumbells (changeable and standard), plyo boxes, stepper and tons of DVD's, with a standard bench. I think once I upgrade on my bench and get my chin up bar, I will probably give up all gym memberships and sign up from time to time for studio classes. It is money to start a home gym, however when I look at how much I'll be saving and have access to a gym anytime, it's an alternative to consider. Currently saving up for a Cybex Arc machine, and I'll be set for the winter/rainy days :)
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Geesh!!! WTF with people having a problem with pizza, bagels and Tootsie Rolls at PF. Are they shoving that stuff down your throat??? Damn, just walk past it. If you can't, then it's your fault for eating it. And seriously, one slice isn't going to kill you. It reminds me of people blaming McDonald's for getting them fat. haha!!!

Dude. It's weird.
    It's almost like they want people to stay fat so they never leave. Or that they think their clientele is so low on the health totem pole that that's what they go for. I don't know, but I'm kind of insulted and I don't even go there.

I'm learning so much about Planet Fitness from this thread! I never knew it was so scandelous

Pizza and bagels don't make you fat. If my gym had pizza night I hit them up for a whole pie every time and I'd still make weight

I cannot express to you how little interest I have in having the "what makes you fat" discussion. Below zero. Like, -100. If you can't get the gist of my point, well then...oh well.
  • DavPul
    Options
    I most certainly don't get it. What is the gist of your point. Don't keep it a secret
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I most certainly don't get it. What is the gist of your point. Don't keep it a secret
    Smelling the pizza while you work out spikes your insulin
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I have thought about going to golds gym a lot lately, mostly because they have a pool where i live but the price and lunks scare me...I am getting bored with the same machines at PF but is Golds really worth the extra money and possible judgement?

the "lunks" and "judgement" are what planet fitness want you to think are "dangers" of going to other gyms. It's a marketing ploy. The reality is that the vast majority of fit, strong, experienced gym goers are not judging you, or wanting to intimidate you, or doing things like dropping weights to scare you.... those things are insecurities that people new to gyms tend to have, but instead of giving you the message "don't be afraid of those things, the "lunks" are a lot more friendly that they look and won't judge you, they might even help you" - planet fitness marketing plays on those fears and makes them seem real, so you go to them and are afraid to go to other gyms. Seriously, I'd probably get thrown out of planet fitness for dropping weights on the floor occasionally, but I don't do that to show off or intimidate anyone (well, I work out alone at home so how could I be?) It's just that I lift really heavy and sometimes when doing squats you can get stuck under the bar (i.e. you can't manage to complete the last rep of a set, i.e. stand up again to put the bar back on the rack), I don't have a power cage (yet) I just have a barbell with rubber weights that can take it if I have to drop it on the floor if I get stuck. I can see why stuff like that can seem intimidating.... but really it's not intended to be. And people who are serious about fitness are usually welcoming to beginners, not judgemental. So please don't be afraid to go to a different gym, there are no "lunks" (and people who are just rude, unpleasant and unfriendly can be found anywhere, even in planet fitness) and the majority of people aren't going to judge you.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Smelling the pizza while you work out spikes your insulin

That's GOT to be it!
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Dude. It's weird.

I cannot express to you how little interest I have in having the "what makes you fat" discussion. Below zero. Like, -100. If you can't get the gist of my point, well then...oh well.

excuse you?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Dude. It's weird.

You pretty much initiated it.

But seriously, pizza. I wants it.
  • nashjr13
    nashjr13 Posts: 1
    Options
    GOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSS
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I would ask around too as those might not be your only two options for gyms. While the options may not be as big as PF or Gold's they may very well be viable options. I currently go to The Rush. They have everything I would ever need (except basketball, some have basketball indoors, mine has a rock wall and stairs). While it's the biggest gym around, there are plenty of other smaller gyms as well. I used to belong to the Body Shop. It was a nice gym with 24 hour access. It was never so crowded that I couldn't get on the equipment either. However the options just weren't as great as these big gyms. You really need to shop around and do the trial periods. Find one that works for you. Just like PF would never in a million years work for me.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

I said it. I think it's weird for a gym to provide pizza, and I'm suspicious of their motives. Nothing especially scandalous, deep, or worth writing home about. If you think they're on the up and up, more power to you.

Everything gets turned into some tedious argument about what is "healthy," what is "clean," what is "fattening." Which is fine if you enjoy it. I don't. But enjoy your pizza.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Dude. It's weird.

Yummm Pizza! I think I can flex a whole pie after a nice heavy lifting session for sure!!:bigsmile: