200lbs when will the weightloss be noticeable?

Options
13»

Replies

• fitnesschickmfp
    fitnesschickmfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    *bump
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I hope this is taken in the intended spirit: just observation, and further, my personal observation; not everyone necessarily has had these experiences.

My husband and I each lost a LOT of weight this past year. I think 40% of his body weight, and a little more than 30% of mine so far?

My husband was getting tons of compliments almost from the very beginning. For me I swear it took like 40 lbs. for anyone to say a single word (BTW, I started out at 212 lbs., 5'1") and even then it was VERY occasional and really only very good friends. For my husband, people were literally gasping, like exaggerated gasping and yelling "I didn't even RECOGNIZE you!" if they hadn't seen him in a while...for me, crickets. I just felt like it had made no difference whatsoever that I even lost the weight.

Then recently my husband and I went to a school meeting. With my husband there (IOW, not just to me, singularly; not pointing me, specifically and alone, out...if that make sense) the teacher said for the first time implicating me, "I just can't get over how different you two look!" Meanwhile at the previous meeting, which I didn't attend; my husband said literally the entire table took more than 10 minutes of meeting time complimenting my husband on his weight loss and talking about it, asking for advice, the gasp-I-can't-believe it thing, the works...these were exactly the same people. But I can tell you this teacher and others on the team had seen me without my husband there (no dilution, LOL, no "you two" and more specific to just me?) at only a couple pounds heavier than I am now, so, for all intents and purposes, looking as I do now but had not said a thing to me. Not one freakin' thing...

And then after the meeting, first one teacher and then another hugged me good-bye (it was an exit meeting, our son is transitioning to the next school up) and WHISPERED to me that they were floored at how amazing I looked, and so on. Whispered.

I just feel like...I don't know. I think people are way more sensitive sometimes to saying stuff about weight to a woman...even if it's something good. I mean, obviously not all the time. But you'll notice even on here, there will be threads where people were insulted or took a weight loss comment in some really, really negative way. Did I look that horrible before...why is the person grilling me for info on my diet, it's my business...and so on. That sort of thing...

I think often, people are just afraid of saying weight-related stuff to women. I think they guess they'll get it wrong no matter what they say and I'll bet that much of the time, they're guessing correctly, LOL.

I mean by contrast my husband and his friends joke and call each other fatty and talk about one another's bellies and "what to do about it" and so on...I just can't imagine a friend saying those sorts of things to me. They'd find her a few weeks later in a bag while dredging the river, probably. :smiley:

And those are female friends. For males...well, again. Guys just can't win here. A man who compliments a woman's body does run a risk. He just does even if he's being 100% innocent about it.

What this long-winded ridiculously long message is saying, is...if you DON'T get compliments or comments after 10, 20 or even 50 lbs...DON'T be disheartened. We can't say when you'll hear them because you may not hear them from anyone but the closest of friends for a long, long, long time. But that doesn't mean they don't notice. I promise you that. Just keep on keepin' on and stick with your goals. :)

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    *bump

You've now bumped four threads on the same topic. Why?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Forget about other people and focus on your measurements, on you seeing the change.

I've lost over 40 since Jan and only immediate family has commented. It would be depressing if I need others to validate this effort.