Cauliflower Crust

Options
Emily_AK87
Emily_AK87 Posts: 64 Member
Soooooo.... With the super bowl coming up I'm wanting to give myself some options but stay on track. Pizza is going to be overflowing from the kitchen, and I've seen this cauliflower pizza crust as an alternative. Has anyone tried it? Most of the stuff I've read say it turns out crumbly or juicy if not drained enough.
What recipes have you had the best luck with?
Also... What are you planning healthy-food-wise for the Super Bowl? I'm literally borderline ready to say screw it and eat the pizza and dips. Haha!

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I've never tried making cauliflower crust, but I've heard the same things about it that you have. I think that's why I've never tried making it. Lol

With regard to my plan, I view Super Bowl Sunday as a national holiday and like all national holidays, I plan to eat at maintenance if not slightly over. :#
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    I've never tried making cauliflower crust, but I've heard the same things about it that you have. I think that's why I've never tried making it. Lol

With regard to my plan, I view Super Bowl Sunday as a national holiday and like all national holidays, I plan to eat at maintenance if not slightly over. :#

I plan on giving it a go this weekend just to see how it turns out!

And yes, I plan to indulge in brewskies, so was hoping to curb calories in food. Haha
  • thunderthighsandlightning
    Options
    Have you thought about BBQ cauliflower wings? I've heard they're a good alternative to like boneless wings and stuff, might make a good Superbowl snack!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Emily_AK87 wrote: »

And yes, I plan to indulge in brewskies, so was hoping to curb calories in food. Haha

Let us know how it turns out!
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    Have you thought about BBQ cauliflower wings? I've heard they're a good alternative to like boneless wings and stuff, might make a good Superbowl snack!

Oooooh...!! I'll have to Pinterest that! I think I remember seeing something like that.
  • Emily_AK87
    Options

Let us know how it turns out!

Will do!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you aren't averse to making a crust from flour you might try Jenny Jones' idea for crust made in a bowl and the pizza cooked in a cast iron skillet. I tried it last week and it was phenomenal. You only touch it once when stretching it out in the skillet. It takes about 5 hours total but the actual time involved is just minutes. I used a combination of spelt and whole wheat pastry flour but next time I'm going to sub in some pea protein powder as well. Around 1300 calories in total and it was more than enough for an meal for one person and I'm a big eater. 6 big, heavy pieces. Next time I'd use a smaller skillet to get it down to around 900 calories which is a perfect dinner size for me. I used real mozz, turkey sausage, smoked salmon, onions, mushrooms, sauce. Best pizza I've ever ate, certainly the best home made I've ever had.
  • Klkbankert
    Klkbankert Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe on Monday. Found it on Pinterest. It was amaaaaazing! You do have to drain the cauliflower, but even my husband agreed that it was really good and this recipe is a keeper.

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html?crlt.pid=camp.YkM97SRTNzGY&m=1
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    If you aren't averse to making a crust from flour you might try Jenny Jones' idea for crust made in a bowl and the pizza cooked in a cast iron skillet. I tried it last week and it was phenomenal. You only touch it once when stretching it out in the skillet. It takes about 5 hours total but the actual time involved is just minutes. I used a combination of spelt and whole wheat pastry flour but next time I'm going to sub in some pea protein powder as well. Around 1300 calories in total and it was more than enough for an meal for one person and I'm a big eater. 6 big, heavy pieces. Next time I'd use a smaller skillet to get it down to around 900 calories which is a perfect dinner size for me. I used real mozz, turkey sausage, smoked salmon, onions, mushrooms, sauce. Best pizza I've ever ate, certainly the best home made I've ever had.

That's sounds amazing!!! But I am trying to avoid glutens. Not going vegan, because I love my meat proteins and eggs, but close.. Very clean eating. But I will have to look into that as an alternative for a friend of mine!
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    I just made this recipe on Monday. Found it on Pinterest. It was amaaaaazing! You do have to drain the cauliflower, but even my husband agreed that it was really good and this recipe is a keeper.

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html?crlt.pid=camp.YkM97SRTNzGY&m=1

Oh, thank you!! I have read this one on Pinterest and was leaning towards it to try first. Thanks for confirming that
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's sounds amazing!!! But I am trying to avoid glutens. Not going vegan, because I love my meat proteins and eggs, but close.. Very clean eating. But I will have to look into that as an alternative for a friend of mine!
    I've never used them myself, but I know you can get gluten free flours for baking. I think they are made from beans, tapioca etc. Worth a shot if you love pizza B)

• Emily_AK87
    Options
    I've never used them myself, but I know you can get gluten free flours for baking. I think they are made from beans, tapioca etc. Worth a shot if you love pizza

Good Idea!

• Emily_AK87
    Options
    Not sure how to post a photo, if you can, on here. But it turned out OK. Definitely don't go into it thinking it's going to taste like pizza. But it's actually pretty easy.
  • imlindaheart
    imlindaheart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I made this cauliflower pizza a few weeks back, if you drain caulflower after cooking, it will be solid. Even without draining it works fine if you let it cool off bit.

lsp4msigd2og.jpg
  • imlindaheart
    imlindaheart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I guess you can't really see the crust... but it's there :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Flat Out pizza crust is 120 calories for the whole piece. It's super thin but I like it crispy and add Bolthouse classic ranch for dipping. Depending on what you put on top I can have a rather large piece of pizza for 350 calories.

OR

Go for regular pizza but make a big side of salad or steam veggies or side of raw veggies and fill up on them before your slice or two of regular pizza.

I haven't decided which I'm doing yet but either one works great for me.

Steelers fan here so I'm still hurt with the Pats loss so GO Falcons! :)
  • Emily_AK87
    Options
    Flat Out pizza crust is 120 calories for the whole piece. It's super thin but I like it crispy and add Bolthouse classic ranch for dipping. Depending on what you put on top I can have a rather large piece of pizza for 350 calories.

OR

Go for regular pizza but make a big side of salad or steam veggies or side of raw veggies and fill up on them before your slice or two of regular pizza.

I haven't decided which I'm doing yet but either one works great for me.

Steelers fan here so I'm still hurt with the Pats loss so GO Falcons! :)

Haha! Yes! Definitely go Falcons! I'm gluten intolerant, so I'm looking for a crust alternative without spending a small fortune on gluten free flour.
  • Emily_AK87
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't know if it was the egg, but it was way too spongy for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Any cauliflower substitute I've ever tried just tasted like cauliflower...I don't mind cauliflower, but when I want, say, potatoes, mashed up cauliflower isn't going to cut it.

Personally, I'd just do something else...like wings or ribs and forgo the substitutes.
  • Wiccanandi
    Wiccanandi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i have made this a few times and it's been really soggy no matter how long i cook it, how thin i make it etc. another easier option is to make an omelette and use it as a base instead, not tried it myself yet though so not sure if it's any good