gym quandry, need help

Options
I'm in a quandary and I need help. I'm thinking about changing gyms, but I'm not sure and can't decide. I love the gym I'm at, made loads of friends and its been a regular part of my life for almost 2 years now.

however, because its circuit based classes it limits the times I can go and I'm also limits what I can do when I am there, but I love its motivational atmosphere and the partnered training means you turn up because you don't want to let someone else down, but this also means you often have to compromise on what workout you do, and I feel that I've started to stagnate fitness wise.

the gym I'm considering is an independent family gym, that I used to go to a few years ago. its a no frills place and half the price of where I currently go if I sign up for a year (hmmmm). it has an awful lot of new equipment compared to last time I was there, I know my way round a gym but I was like wtf is that several times while I was looking round yesterday, but it will allow me to go in anytime I wanted to and do what I want to, so will be able to follow a structured programme. I just don't know if I have the discipline to stick at it as I will have to really motivate myself, although I do currently train 4/5 times a week so I'm hoping I can at least drag myself there 4 times a week

I feel very loyal to my current gym, and would like to think that I will still pop in for the odd session a couple of times a month on a payg basis and swapping will mean I get my evenings back, but I just don't know, I'm not good with change but the idea won't leave my head.

Replies

• mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's an hard choice, no joke.
    Well, I'll tell you my idea. Your current gym is lovely, I understand the personal connection you have with the people but it is hindering your progress as you cannot go as much as you would like.
    And this to me is the deal breaker. Nothing in the world should get on your way, not a person, not a time table, not anything...and if they do...sorry, you've got to take the painful decision to go elsewhere.
    Your progress dear is the only thing that should matter to you, your only real obligation in the end of things is to yourself. You inhabit your body, you choose to make the difference for it, however uncomfortable it can be.

Don't underestimate the people you will find in the new gym, you'll get to know them. Keep a friendly attitude, people there are just in your same shoes, they'd love a new friend and it could be you!
    Your next workout partner could actually be already there and we don't know yet.

As an additional note, I'd like to make sure I talk both to your friends there and the gym management so they know your reasons. Just so they know you aren't moving because you hate them but because of practical reasons.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part with mir. If your goal is to keep improving and you can't do that at the current gym, you need to move on. However, if you think the added motivation of the people at the current gym will keep you going, that has to be considered.

A gym is no good if you don't go. You shouldn't have to "drag myself there 4 times a week" It shouldn't feel like you are dragging yourself there. If it is a chore, it is likely that you will eventually stop going.

And I agree that you should talk to the people at the other gym about why you are leaving. Who knows, they may have a big change in the works for the way things are run that are exactly what you are looking for. If nothing else, they need to know that they didn't chase you off. That type of feedback if very useful to a business.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I'm in a quandary and I need help. I'm thinking about changing gyms, but I'm not sure and can't decide. I love the gym I'm at, made loads of friends and its been a regular part of my life for almost 2 years now.

i've been with my trainer and his 'club' for a year and a half, and i know the feeling. recently my life's logistics changed dramatically, and i'm kind of coming to terms with the fact that i don't 'need' that space and those people anymore . . . i just 'want' them. i could move on to a different programme with a different group and it basically comes down to whether learning is more important to me than community.

i don't think i'm going to follow my own advice here :tongue: but with that said, i think a part of me knows that you can't hide from your own progress indefinitely.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    hello,
    thank you for taking the time to reply, sorry its taken so long to respond.

well i have decided to stick with the current gym for the time being, this was after a very honest and frank discussion with the owner. She has given me some advice and told me to be selfish when it comes to the sessions i attend and do the circuits i want to do and if that means i end up working solo then so be it. thankfully when i go to the gym i do work hard, with or without a partner.

thankfully new circuits start today so everything will be nice and fresh after a couple of weeks out injured.

time will tell if i've made the right decision