Dehydration

Options
Im so sick with the flu. I cant keep anything down. If it doesn't come up one end its coming out the other. This has been two days and i got what i beleive to be a Dehydration headache.. anyone have any tips to try remedy this which doesnt include pounding back tons of water?

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    You need electrolytes. So, Gatorade (diluted if it makes it easier to keep it down), Nuun tablets, chicken broth, etc.

I've been dealing with a lingering stomach flu for over a week, so I know what you're going through. Hope you feel better soon!
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth wont work. Up all night puking it up. Same with gatorade
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    get some blackcurant dehydration tablets and put them in water, hopefully there will recharge your electroyltes in your body.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    This is the one time when I say heck to my low sodium diet and drink sports drinks. Even if it doesn't stay down, at least some minerals should help. If it really feels like you are in danger go to the ER for IV fluids.

BTW- the flu is a sinus illness. You probably have a stomach bug like Norovirus. It's going around the US right now, yesterday at least three kids threw up between two of my schools, and I rarely know when kids are sick because I teach music, so there were probably many more.
  • CafeRacer808
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sorry, should have mentioned that you should be taking small sips, not drinking or pounding back fluids. It helps. Sucking on ice cubes or popsicles is another thing to try. If you can't keep anything down and you're severely dehydrated, call your doctor. They may decide to put you on an IV.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I never guzzle liquids when I've got a stomach bug. I find ginger ale helps. So things like ginger tea or similar might help. I usually do a nibble of a cracker and a small sip of tea and let that sit in my tummy for a minimum of 15 minutes to see if it'll stay.

I lived off oyster crackers and ginger ale for a few days a year or so ago when I was getting over the stomach flu. If you still can't keep things down, though, call your doctor and see what they have to say - 3 days with little fluid staying down could be a problem.

~Lyssa
  • frawley23
    frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    2 days of not being able to keep down fluids is pretty serious. If you can get someone to get you some rehydration tablets/icy poles (popsicles?) and take them really slowly it'd help. If you can't keep even small amounts of that down you probably need to call a doctor.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    GROSSNESS WARNING LOL

Wesnesday i had bad diarrhea like all day every like half hour.. kept me up even that night i couldnt sleep stomach was awful. Yesterday morning woke up puking didnt eat or drink anything instead took a nap. Woke up feeling a lil better ate some chicken soup and saltine crackers and juice. Woke up last night 11:30 and had a hard time sleeping all night cuz it kept coming up. Minimal drinking.. and today i ate some crackers trying to sip on water but i just can't. I read frozen fruit is good too. But what worrys me is my headache i KNOW im dehydrated but at what point do you go in? Im trying to drink but i have zero desire and i know for a fact im not keeping up to what i lost eveb when i sip. I hardly ever get sick this is like first flu in prob 5 years lol... how do you know when you need extra help?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Google "dehydration when to go to emerg".

I just had the stomach flu/norovirus myself. I drank chicken broth with a pack of instant chicken noodle soup added. I was able to keep rice down too (Google BRAT). Later I had Gatorade.

A friend recently had food poisoning and didn't think about to replenishing her fluids and ended up passing out a couple times, and hitting her head, once badly enough that she needed stitches.

So keep trying!
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Google "dehydration when to go to emerg".

I just had the stomach flu/norovirus myself. I drank chicken broth with a pack of instant chicken noodle soup added. I was able to keep rice down too (Google BRAT). Later I had Gatorade.

A friend recently had food poisoning and didn't think about to replenishing her fluids and ended up passing out a couple times, and hitting her head, once badly enough that she needed stitches.

So keep trying!

Curious to know how long your stomach flu/norovirus lasted. I came down with it two weeks ago. The first 4-5 days were pretty bad. It's calmed down quite a bit, but my stomach's still not 100% normal.

OP, it does sound like you're pretty severely dehydrated. I would call your doctor today and see what they suggest.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    I cant do chicken soup. Chicken soup kept me up all night last night and even the thought of trying again disgusts me lol.. maybe ill get my husband to get me some gatorade on his way home.. the thought of eating just isnt there either.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Try sucking on a hard candy, a ginger one if you have it, or a lollipop. Gets the saliva flowing and a wee bit of cals into your system.
  • heylance
    heylance Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    pedialyte is great for when you are dehydrated/sick too
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Im in canada aswell so going in isnt a huge deal or expense its sitting and waiting hours that isnt fun lol
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Powerade zero works well for me and it doesn't have any calories or sugar so it's not ruining your diet at all.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Lol im not concerned about my diet at this point. I cant eat let alone enough to go over:p i wish!
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    After barely eating for 3 days now im sure i could easily eat an entire pizza and still be in my calories for the week lol
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lol look bright side. You got a temporary fast out of the deal, now you're ahead of the game.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Ginger ale or 7-up is my goto. NO ICE! Your likely to lose any fluids that have water in them.

I had Salmonella once and after 48 hours in the bathroom with a bucket I finally went to the ER. They kept me for 3 days, IV fluids and nothing to eat. When I got a little better they allowed Jello, chicken broth, icemilk, ginger ale, that was about it until I could hold some of the list down.
  • CafeRacer808
    Options
    Ginger ale or 7-up is my goto. NO ICE! Your likely to lose any fluids that have water in them.

I had Salmonella once and after 48 hours in the bathroom with a bucket I finally went to the ER. They kept me for 3 days, IV fluids and nothing to eat. When I got a little better they allowed Jello, chicken broth, icemilk, ginger ale, that was about it until I could hold some of the list down.

Why no ice? Ice is routinely recommended by doctors and nurses to people who are having trouble keeping fluids down...