Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Double Quarter Pounders with cheese.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This is a very personal question - as in each person is unique to how certain foods MAY effect them. I would suggestion limiting foods that you have a hard time eating in moderation. Binge foods.

Generally, these tend to be the highly processed foods, which really shouldn't be part of a healthy diet anyway. But only you can answer that question for yourself.

Long term weight loss take dedication to changing your current eating habits.
  • anthony_8
    anthony_8 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Starch and sugar should be the first two to go
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    The only foods I've cut out are the foods that I recognize I can't resist. And even then 'cut out' means 'will not have in my house' but I reserve the right to have a single serving as a treat if I'm out. For example, I know that I cannot be trusted alone with a lemon meringue pie. I will not stop at one slice. Ditto for movie theater chocolate and M&M packages. (I still might buy M&Ms, measure out a smaller serving into a Ziploc and smuggle it into the theater. But there is no way that I will be able to buy a bag at the concession stand, open it, stop at 20 or 25 pieces and save the rest for later.)

Otherwise, I factor treats and indulgences into my calories.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Don't cut anything out. Cut back to stay within your daily calorie allowance. You may need to not eat something every day, but allow yourself to eat. However, if there are foods (especially junk foods) you just can't stop eating, perhaps it would be wise to cut them out.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've just heard stuff like bread is a good food to cut out to lose weight and things like that, just want to see what's myth and what works

No. You don't have to cut out any foods that you like-that's just going to lead to frustration and long term adherence failure. Instead focus on learning how to do this whole thing in a realistic and sustainable way, and learn how to incorporate all the foods you enjoy into your woe. Think big picture-how do you want to eat for the next 20, 30, 40+ years?
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I want to cut some foods out of my diet, does anyone know some of the best foods to cut out of your diet and the worst foods to cut out of your diet? Thanks

Depends on what you are defining as 'food'? The things with fewer ingredients and less processed the better as the calories from these types of foods will produce 'better' calories or fuel for your body than say calories from a poptart. Yes you could eat nothing but poptarts and stay under your calorie goal and still lose weight BUT, you wouldn't be able to sustain that type of eating long term.

• crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I want to cut some foods out of my diet, does anyone know some of the best foods to cut out of your diet and the worst foods to cut out of your diet? Thanks

Depends on what you are defining as 'food'? The things with fewer ingredients and less processed the better as the calories from these types of foods will produce 'better' calories or fuel for your body than say calories from a poptart. Yes you could eat nothing but poptarts and stay under your calorie goal and still lose weight BUT, you wouldn't be able to sustain that type of eating long term.

Who on earth is advocating a diet of only poptarts?

But, in terms of weight loss it doesn't matter what foods you eat-as long as you're in the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals you'll lose weight, regardless of what you're eating. And there are no good/bad 'calories' since calorie is a unit of energy :p
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Cut out carbs, sugar, bread.

Drink green tea and detox.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Kale. Cut out kale.
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

But, in terms of weight loss it doesn't matter what foods you eat-as long as you're in the correct calorie deficit for your weight goals you'll lose weight, regardless of what you're eating. And there are no good/bad 'calories' since calorie is a unit of energy :p

Then you missed my point. There are good an bad. If you were to eat nothing but poptarts (just a hypothetical scenario) you would lose weight IF you ate your calorie goal. You would not be able to sustain this 'diet' without crashing and ultimately you would relapse and gain it all back.

For long term success it DOES matter what foods (fuel) you put in your body. Yes a calorie is just a unit to measure energy. So based on that eat crappy food with the same calories count for a week and see how you actually feel then eat the same amount of calories from good foods for a week and see how you feel.

If you want to not look at it like good and bad calories then look at it from the standpoint of 'where the calories come from'. This is 100% important for long term success.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Then you missed my point. There are good an bad. If you were to eat nothing but poptarts (just a hypothetical scenario) you would lose weight IF you ate your calorie goal. You would not be able to sustain this 'diet' without crashing and ultimately you would relapse and gain it all back.

For long term success it DOES matter what foods (fuel) you put in your body. Yes a calorie is just a unit to measure energy. So based on that eat crappy food with the same calories count for a week and see how you actually feel then eat the same amount of calories from good foods for a week and see how you feel.

If you want to not look at it like good and bad calories then look at it from the standpoint of 'where the calories come from'. This is 100% important for long term success.

A diet of 100% pop tarts would not be healthy, you are correct. But neither would a diet of 100% chicken breast. You are missing context and dosage. Many people are able to fit in a wide variety of foods in their diet, including pop tarts, and still hit their macro and micro goals.
  • jmyers103114
    jmyers103114 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I never could be successful when it came to cutting things completely out because I would always fail and go back to eating those things and would binge. I found that once I started MFP and trying to stay within my calorie limit but still feel full every day, I started looking at everything as is this worth a lot of calories and not being able to eat much the rest of the day? Most time the food I struggle with the most are not worth those calories and I have cut down on them but I also allow myself a cheat day where if I go over my calorie limit a little it's not a failure.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    honestly, eat whatever you love but watch your macros. You could basically live off junk food but still have relatively skinny body. That however, doesn't equate to health. If you are really in to healthy life style, and can remove these, I would go with
    • high level of sugar (def good idea limit)
    • bad fats (pretty common knowledge ones)
    • soda drinks (useless stuff. simply stick to good old water, and some nice herbal teas)
    • high sodium content food.
    • processed food. usually they have a shelf life of months, or last forever in the fridge. Yup, thats processed.

Now, you could have amazing genes, and get a good blood panel with the above. Good for you. For me, I rather not take the risk.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Again-who's advocating eating a diet consisting of 'crappy' food? I'm definitely focused on the long term, (I'm several years into maintenance at this point). I focus on what I can do long term and cutting out foods that I like would just lead to frustration and failure. But, that doesn't mean that I'm eating only pop tarts or crappy food (whatever that even means). If you look at those who are nailing their weight, health and fitness goals most of them eat a balanced diet full of all sorts of foods-from veggies and fruit, to ice cream and the occasional beer :) The OP doesn't have to arbitrarily cut out foods like bread (her example), if she enjoys eating it. She just needs to learn how to fit it into her goals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Best: Those that you don't think are worth the calories.
    Worst: Those that you love most and will struggle to cut.

Personally, I find it best to cut back on certain foods to varying degrees based on nutritional value, it caloric value, my love of the taste. Using this criteria, a few foods have been cut entirely so far. Maybe someday I'll decide they are worth it and eat them again, maybe not.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Strawman argument is strawman.

No one is advocating a diet of nothing but "crappy" foods. It is entirely possible though to eat a nutrient balanced diet that includes things like Poptarts. Personally I would feel like crap eating nothing but chicken and broccoli for a week either - fortunately I know that very few people are actually recommending that (although I think they do exist) - so I don't even consider it.

Also, you seem to be making the common mistake of conflating "calories" with "foods" or "nutrition". All calories are equal from an energy balance/weight loss perspective. That doesn't mean that all foods are equal in nutritional value.

Telling someone they don't have to cut out foods they love is not the same as telling them to eat nothing but poptarts. Why do people continually misinterpret this recommendation?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Cut out everything but poptarts? ;-)

No, I didn't see that either!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

OP asked what she should cut out for weight loss.

Lots of people said it depends on her, but there are no foods that need to be cut out for weight loss.

What does this have to do with "eating only poptarts" (which no one would do -- where do people even come up with these ideas?). One can (and should) eat a primarily nutrient-dense diet -- for health, not necessarily for weight loss -- and yet not cut anything out.

I really don't understand how your post fits in with the thread at all.

Personally, I didn't "cut out" poptarts since I don't think I've had one since I was 10, and I didn't like it then. So it would be a foolish thing to cut out. If you tend to find them a trigger food, cut them out, but that's personal. There's no general weight loss or nutritional reason to decide that people should have to exclude poptarts from their diet in order to eat a good overall diet, and certainly not to lose weight.

I always wonder if the people who fear that others might think it's a good idea to eat all junk food used to do that themselves and, if not, why they think others would.