• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Is stevia not a good sugar substitute? I drink that in my morning coffee:/
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I switched from regular coke to diet soda when I started my weight loss phase. I still drink several servings a day, a few years into maintenance now.

• phrancly
    phrancly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has chemicals that are unhealthy for you. That being said, I still will have one maybe once a week and a regular pop maybe once a month. I'd rather drink coffee or infused water or La Croix. There are also lots of articles about diet soda making people gain weight because artificial sweeteners make your body think sugar is on the way and messes with your insulin and metabolism.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Diet coke, but not every day, maybe 3 times per week. Sometimes it just hits the spot.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with stevia, sucralose, xylitol, or aspartame. All have been tested and are Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS)

http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/GRAS/
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    Is stevia not a good sugar substitute? I drink that in my morning coffee:/

I can't stand stevia especially in coffee. I also don't use very much sugar only like 1/2 tsp and only if I need it. depends on the beans I am grinding that day. Never been a fan of artificial 'sugars' of any variety really.

As for pop? I tend to stay away but will have a coke zero at the movies.
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pepsi max mostly but i don't drink it that often
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    phrancly wrote: »
    Diet soda has chemicals that are unhealthy for you. That being said, I still will have one maybe once a week and a regular pop maybe once a month. I'd rather drink coffee or infused water or La Croix. There are also lots of articles about diet soda making people gain weight because artificial sweeteners make your body think sugar is on the way and messes with your insulin and metabolism.

I lost 50lbs while drinking diet soda and in the process also normalized a high/pre-diabetic glucose number. Now I'm a few years into maintaining a bmi of around 21 and glucose numbers in the 80s and 90s, while still drinking diet soda every single day. Go figure :p
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I drink Pepsi Max most days, and sparkling water with some no-added-sugar squash in the evenings when I don't want the caffeine.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking pop last September. I'll have a diet one every so often, usually as mix, but am not real fond of the taste so I usually drink carbonated water (Sodastream).
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I still drink regular coke about once or twice a week. I used to drink 4 cans a day, but have cut WAY back. I tried doing coke zero, but it just wasn't the same since I don't really like artificial sweeteners too much.

I actually switched my coke habit to La Croix. I still get the "bubbles", but none of the extras. I still enjoy my regular coke though, just in moderation.
  • burnsdesi
    burnsdesi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I found it a lot easier to stick to a healthy diet if I eliminated super sweet stuff like sodas. After about a week, my body stopped craving it and I don't get that post-sugar-rush slump. Whatever floats your boat!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you like it and can make it fit, go for it. I can never justify that many calories for a drink so I cut it out.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'll have a regular soda when we go out to eat. I've never tried diet soda, probably never will.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I drink regular soda very occasionally...like I might have 3 or 4 in an entire year tops. I prefer craft sodas to the big commercial ones though.
  • agibbs1121
    agibbs1121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The BEST thing I have done on my weight loss / getting healthy journey was stopping soda AND replacing it with water. I loved Pepsi in a can and quit and then started again but only on fountain soda. But, there is nothing in soda (or diet soda) that is good for you PLUS I was drinking it in place of water & sometimes meals. I was having one medium soft drink a day and when I quit, I lost 10 lbs easy. I was addicted. Now I know that if I have ONE, I will be right back - just like I did before. I am SO glad I quit. I would encourage you to do the same. Again, there is NOTHING healthy in them. Quitting is not easy but you can do it!
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Well, if you look at the nutritional value of water, there's not much good in water either. Pretty much the same as diet pop.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I will have a regular coke every once in a while (usually if I am really stressed out at work or not feeling great). I don't have diet but just because I think it all tastes gross. I just make sure to work it into my calories for the day.