What? What
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    loko417 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Tomorrow starts week 4 of my pescatarian life. Does anyone have tips to make this a more permanent lifestyle change for me?

Ps. Don't get me wrong, I love steak and bacon - I just don't love that agriculture is a huge contributor to global warming and the lack of freshwater world wide. Plus, I'm an animal lover.

Hey fish are animals too!

Not only that, the majority of the fish we eat comes from fish farming--look that up, and then maybe you'll go vegan!

I eat a lot of fish...none of it is farmed...all wild caught.

Well then, either you fish yourself, live in an area that has fishermen and access to fresh fish,or pay alot. If you live in a big city (as does alot of the world's population) your choices are--farmed fish, frozen fish, or sea caught fish (which costs alot even though it tastes better). Since the oceans are being overfished, going pescatarian will be problamatic in the future.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Do some research on what large game is overpopulated in your area, and help out.

2 birds with one stone...eat your meat, and feel good about it.
  • loko417
    loko417 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, fish count as animals.
    No one can make your conviction any stronger. Internet strangers cannot really influence your lifestyle. Stick to your resolve.

Fully aware that internet strangers can't impact my lifestyle choices. I am really just looking for some advice from fit friends that have been in my shoes - the best ways to stay strong and nutritionally fed while still maintaining a pescatarian diet.

Also, for all who think I'm misinformed - I'm clearly aware that fish are also animals. And that farm fish are equally subjected to cruel treatment AND that it also takes significant agricultural resources to feed farm raised fish. However, since this lifestyle is NEW to me, I figured I would taper off slowly. Jeez Louise!

Thanks everyone who has been helpful! I'm a noob on this quest.

• ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    People who argue that fish are animals are like the grammar frog tosspots. While technically correct, from a taxonomical standpoint, semantics and colloquial usage override the nomenclature restricted to Zoology.

Insects belong to kingdom animalia too. But noone sees a cockroach and thinks, "that animal..."

Fish diet is considered to be highly healthy and is known to aid in weight loss or good weight maintenance. My only beef with the OP is that fish are abused as much as cows. Monsanto and the like have corrupted every food source on earth. Even USDA organic is not really organic. I can understand eating fish for the health benefit reason. But a statement with regard to animal cruelty is not fully sound. Your shoes come from cows... goats... handbags...

It's funny that you say that but there is research figuring out the cognitive abilities and intellect of animals specifically bees and they are shown to actual be cog igtive and creative animals. Culturally us humans think of furry animals as more intelligent and totally disregard other animals like insects. I forget where I saw the journal or the authors of it but it's very interesting not all insects ofcourse it hard to say whether not a cockroach is using its intelligence when running from the lights on or from just instinctive measures. I'm not defending fish but I am defending them bees
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm sure in countries where they eat canines don't say they are eating pets. It's all relative
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Do some research on what large game is overpopulated in your area, and help out.

People. We don't really have a lot of water buffalo or anything within city limits.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

People. We don't really have a lot of water buffalo or anything within city limits.

Your lucky, we don't have any water buffalo at all in the countryside..... :smiley:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Tomorrow starts week 4 of my pescatarian life. Does anyone have tips to make this a more permanent lifestyle change for me?

Ps. Don't get me wrong, I love steak and bacon - I just don't love that agriculture is a huge contributor to global warming and the lack of freshwater world wide. Plus, I'm an animal lover.

Eat food you like.
    Make a list of all the meatless meals you already enjoy.
    Find new ways to prepare foods so you don't get bored.
    Don't restrict other foods severely. Like don't try to eat ultra low carb and vegetarian.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, fish count as animals.
    No one can make your conviction any stronger. Internet strangers cannot really influence your lifestyle. Stick to your resolve.

Fully aware that internet strangers can't impact my lifestyle choices. I am really just looking for some advice from fit friends that have been in my shoes - the best ways to stay strong and nutritionally fed while still maintaining a pescatarian diet.

Also, for all who think I'm misinformed - I'm clearly aware that fish are also animals. And that farm fish are equally subjected to cruel treatment AND that it also takes significant agricultural resources to feed farm raised fish. However, since this lifestyle is NEW to me, I figured I would taper off slowly. Jeez Louise!

Thanks everyone who has been helpful! I'm a noob on this quest.

OP--I answered about fish farming. My husband has been pescatarian since he was a child. I cook alot of fish, and we live in a big city. My husband's health is excellent--blood pressure and collesterol the envy of the entire family. So, I have no problem with your choice. However I agree with Cutawaycollar on why you're doing this. Fish are treated badly too. Also that you are struggling with this choice. My husband never had this problem.
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Some animals wouldn't survive if we can't breed them for some benefits
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    People who argue that fish are animals are like the grammar frog tosspots. While technically correct, from a taxonomical standpoint, semantics and colloquial usage override the nomenclature restricted to Zoology.

Insects belong to kingdom animalia too. But noone sees a cockroach and thinks, "that animal..."

Fish diet is considered to be highly healthy and is known to aid in weight loss or good weight maintenance. My only beef with the OP is that fish are abused as much as cows. Monsanto and the like have corrupted every food source on earth. Even USDA organic is not really organic. I can understand eating fish for the health benefit reason. But a statement with regard to animal cruelty is not fully sound. Your shoes come from cows... goats... handbags...

What is a Grammar Frog Tosspot. Are you just making up words now?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    e2357a74ca41971732c61cbe70d5bea7.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hey fish are animals too!

Not only that, the majority of the fish we eat comes from fish farming--look that up, and then maybe you'll go vegan!

I eat a lot of fish...none of it is farmed...all wild caught.

Well then, either you fish yourself, live in an area that has fishermen and access to fresh fish,or pay alot. If you live in a big city (as does alot of the world's population) your choices are--farmed fish, frozen fish, or sea caught fish (which costs alot even though it tastes better). Since the oceans are being overfished, going pescatarian will be problamatic in the future.

I live in the desert...I buy my fish flash frozen from Costco...it isn't particularly expensive and it's wild caught. I get a bag of cod for $12.99 and my Sockeye is $28.99 for a bag...usually a bag of each lasts my wife and I about two weeks.

In the summer I camp and fish a lot...nothing like a fresh trout.