What is the best yogurt for a diet?

Options
I have been eating yoplait yogurts but feel like they have too much sugar. Would dannon whole yogurt be okay? Or is 0% 2% greek yogurt the healthiest choice?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The higher the protein the better. Try to use plain and add in fruit and sweeteners on your own.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your diet goals.

Here's an interesting site that weighs the pros and cons of various food products on a variety of factors. Plug in your favorite brands, and see if it helps you make a choice!

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=search&term=dannon+2%+yogurt
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=search&term=greek+0%+yogurt
  • emeraldbullsnake
    emeraldbullsnake Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like Fage plain yougurt i get both 0% and 2%
  • corgidogchu
    corgidogchu Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like Fage plain yougurt i get both 0% and 2%

Do you add any toppings? Or eat it plain?
  • corgidogchu
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    The higher the protein the better. Try to use plain and add in fruit and sweeteners on your own.

Yes, thanks I want to try this!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. I personally prefer no added sugar (it all has lactose), and to add my own flavor by eating it with berries or other fruit, but there's no reason why pre-flavored yogurt is bad.

I think Fage 0% is tasty and has good macros, but occasionally eat 2% if I want more fat. For my taste the no/low fat tastes as good or better, so I see no reason to get extra calories from full fat (which has the same amount of sugar, not that lactose is bad for you if you aren't lactose intolerant, of course), but some find it tastier or more filling, so for them the extra calories might be worth it.

I normally choose greek because of the extra protein, and because I like it, but occasionally I get regular yogurt from my green market (usually goat's, because I am weird and really like it), and that fits fine into my goals some days and is tasty enough to fit in. For me yogurt tends to be something I eat with breakfast for the extra protein, though, so the low/no fat greek fits in best.
  • corgidogchu
    Options
    it really depends on your diet goals.

Here's an interesting site that weighs the pros and cons of various food products on a variety of factors. Plug in your favorite brands, and see if it helps you make a choice!

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=search&term=dannon+2%+yogurt
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=search&term=greek+0%+yogurt

Cool website, I will check all my food there now! But do you know how the rating is created? By people voting?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I like Greek yogurt for the protien. But I eat sugary yogurts all the time. All that really matters is that you reach your calorie goal. Unless you have a medical reason to limit sugars.

This^

Greek will give you more protein. Greek yogurt is strained making it less sour (I think). Flavored Greek yogurts often use less sugar so you get more calorie bang for your buck.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    honestly, as long as you are in a calorie deficit and don't have any medical issues that would require you avoid sugar, you can eat any of them that allow you to hit your goals for the day.
  • MNFitnessGal
    MNFitnessGal Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt! I do the Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt strawberry. Mmmm. It has some fat, which is good fat, has good amt of protein, and tastes good. I can't stomach regular plain yogurt taste. Under 100 calories. I lost 15 lbs and ate it as a snack when I needed a little something.
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I personally love the chobani Greek yogurt fruit on the bottom
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I compare the labels and get the one with less sugar and I like the taste. Right now I like Chobani for flavors and Tillamook for plain.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Any yogurt would be fine as long as it fit into your calorie goals for the day. Eating a sugary yogurt is compatible with weight loss, eating a whole milk yogurt is compatible with weight loss, eating fatfree yogurt is compatible with weight loss.

Whether it is the healthiest would really depend on what you're eating the rest of the day. Foods exist in the whole context of your diet.

This.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I like Fage 0%, and also discovered that costco brand 0% is very good too, and cheaper, which is a plus. I eat them plain most of the time, but sometimes add preserves to make a desert out of it. I love the taste of Greek yogurt, but in the past wouldn't have chosen that and opted for a more sugary one. Also, i can't seem to stomach full fat version( Cabot brand), it's way too rich for me and i feel i can spend my calories someplace else.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's really just a matter of what you like and what helps you meet your goals. I prefer Greek yogurt myself, as it tastes good and has more protein than regular yogurt.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Another Fage 0% fan here. If i want it sweet, I mix in Sweet Drops or stir in Quest protein powder. Or fruit. If I'm craving peanut butter stir in PB2, or chocolate, some Hershey's syrup. Crunchy, add some Kashi. Use instead of sour cream on potatoes and instead of mayo in egg salad.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was a die hard Greek yogurt fan till I tried Siggi's Icelandic yogurt. It's low sugar, it's high protein like Greek yogurt, but to me it's much creamier and less tart tasting than Greek.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make my own Greek yogurt in my InstantPot (electric pressure cooker). I can use whatever milk I want but I prefer the yogurt made with whole milk so that's what I use. I usually add fruit, some nuts and honey to it; my current favorite it blueberries, almonds, cinnamon and honey to the plain yogurt. I just weigh it all out and then I log it so I have a lot of control over the calorie and sugar content I want to eat. I do all this just because I like how it tastes better than any store bought yogurt and I hate how sweet most of the fruit ones are. And I love how thick and creamy I can get it by straining it longer.