What is the best yogurt for a diet?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is higher in protein and lower in sugar. The bacteria strains are a little different.

https://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1550/the-truth-behind-the-greek-yogurt-craze/

There's also Kefir which is made from a variety of bacteria and yeast.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

Personally I switch brands and types based on what is on sale. I find the Kefir to be very good for my digestion.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I like the Fage 0 and 2% depending. My Whole Foods has some really great little glass jars of yoghurt, I forget the name, 90 and 100 cals as they are on the small side but really satisfying and tasty. I really don't enjoy the big brand diet yoghurts.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I eat a plain European-style nonfat yogurt made by Strauss, a dairy local to Northern California. It's pretty good, but then I have simple tastes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like the Fage 0 and 2% depending. My Whole Foods has some really great little glass jars of yoghurt, I forget the name, 90 and 100 cals as they are on the small side but really satisfying and tasty. I really don't enjoy the big brand diet yoghurts.

They are probably regional. Mine has something similar from Traderspoint, which is local here (they sell at my green market too). I'm sure it's different different places.

I consider Siggi and Fage "big brand" and like them too. Traderspoint and the other ones at my green market are delicious, but tend to be classic yogurt, not greek.

I need to get around to trying quark.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I vote Fage 0%. Obviously the answer is "any"...I guess. I do like the macro breakdown of this the best though.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    "Healthy" is kind of arbitrary here. The best choice will be what you like and what fits into your goals.
    I'm personally a fan of getting a container of Oikos plain Greek yogurt, putting about 100 grams of it into a container, and mixing fruit, vanilla, and honey into it. Tomorrow's mix, for instance, has clementines and agave nectar. May do frozen raspberries and dark chocolate next..yum!
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Greek 0%fat
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My vote goes to Dannon Oikos Triple Zero greek yogurt. It's a staple in my 'fridge and is an instant restock any time we run out of it.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I make my own Greek yogurt in my InstantPot (electric pressure cooker). I can use whatever milk I want but I prefer the yogurt made with whole milk so that's what I use. I usually add fruit, some nuts and honey to it; my current favorite it blueberries, almonds, cinnamon and honey to the plain yogurt. I just weigh it all out and then I log it so I have a lot of control over the calorie and sugar content I want to eat. I do all this just because I like how it tastes better than any store bought yogurt and I hate how sweet most of the fruit ones are. And I love how thick and creamy I can get it by straining it longer.

How do you log the homemade Greek yogurt?

OP, I agree with everyone else-what's healthiest for you depends on your goals. I like the taste of fage 2% best with frozen blueberries and a little honey. Or Strauss Greek yogurt is very tart and tastes great with something a little sweeter like honeynut Cheerios.
  • IonaEllen123
    IonaEllen123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Fage 0% Greek Yoghurt & add fruits or make an overnight oats :)
  • chrismellor01
    chrismellor01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lots of good points and discussion above...

This may be useful for folks to read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38800977

From todays BBC:)
  • Master_Butcher
    Master_Butcher Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt. No arguments. Low fat is cool for the low calorie count however it can begin to taste like glue if continuously eaten alone. Maybe you can hack it though. Whatever you do don't feel stuck to a certain variety you can have full fat or low fat interchangeably.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I have been eating yoplait yogurts but feel like they have too much sugar. Would dannon whole yogurt be okay? Or is 0% 2% greek yogurt the healthiest choice?

The best choice is real yogurt with the active bacteria still living so you are getting the benefits of them.

Your choice of fat, flavour and whatever fits your intake goals for the day IMO.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy the best that fits into your goals. I'm about to have a bowl of Fage 2% with berries and granola mixed in. Other days I have a cup of Oikos with my breakfast.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Whatever you personally enjoy and fits into your calories is the best, really.

I personally prefer plain yogurt, and my favorite is Fage 2%. Hands down. I can eat it straight or doctor it up.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oikos triple zero by dannon
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I love Skyr purely because I find it really filling due to the protein.

I also enjoy 0% Greek and use it in place of sour cream, cream, mayonnaise etc. It's also really good with some sweetener and cinnamon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    I eat this now as one of my desserts. https://www.elliquark.com/quark/

I'm so jealous you can get flavoured Quark. I can only get the regular old plain kind here, and it tastes terrible!

Elli's is disgusting to me! Flavored or not. Too watery... BLEH.

I really miss fromage blanc from France, to be honest. Here I just buy whatever's on sale, I really can't tell much difference between all the brands. I'll buy Skyr first if it's on sale, otherwise it's pretty much whatever Greek yogurt they have in flavors that I want.. typically Fage, Chobani, or Dannon Oikos. I only buy plain to mix with stuff occasionally (either to make a protein cheesecake or I mix it with mustard as a dip for fish, potato topping, or to add in coleslaw or something).

I don't buy regular yogurt anymore though (with the exception of Noosa caramel occasionally, and Oh My Yog, which I can't find anywhere anymore anyway) because it just doesn't have enough protein.
  • wyhone
    wyhone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    This isn't necessarily "the best," but I like it: Great Value Light Vanilla Greek Yogurt.

I haven't had it in a while, so I don't remember the values off the top of my head, but it's something like 120-130 Calories and 18-20 g protein.

I think that's Oiko's Zero. I eat it almost everyday and it's pretty tasty. Lots of good stuff but low in the not so good.