Butternut squash recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I use a recipe like this a lot, but with a generic spice mix instead of their Ras El Hanout, and a basic vegetable stock cube.

https://www.simplycook.com/recipes/iranian-stew
    Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Heat a large casserole dish or a deep roasting pan over medium heat on the hob. Put enough oil in the pan to cover the entire base. Once the oil is hot, fry the onion for 2 mins. Bring 500ml of water to the boil in a kettle.
    Add the potatoes and butternut squash to the onions and stir well. Add more oil if the vegetables start sticking to the pan. Then add the Ras el Hanout to the pan stirring so all vegetables are fully coated in the spices. Add a splash (50ml) of water and then let it cook on a low heat for 5 mins.
    Add the Tomato Paste and stir it in thoroughly. Add the Mushroom Stock and the 500ml of boiled water to the dish. Stir until mixed through.
    Add the tomatoes and dried cranberries to the dish (if using). Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 mins until the potatoes are semi-cooked. Stir through the spinach, then pop the dish in the oven uncovered for 15 mins until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are soft.
    Remove from the oven and serve with a dollop of yoghurt on the side and a squeeze of lemon (if using)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    I use a recipe like this a lot, but with a generic spice mix instead of their Ras El Hanout, and a basic vegetable stock cube.

Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Heat a large casserole dish or a deep roasting pan over medium heat on the hob. Put enough oil in the pan to cover the entire base. Once the oil is hot, fry the onion for 2 mins. Bring 500ml of water to the boil in a kettle.
    Add the potatoes and butternut squash to the onions and stir well. Add more oil if the vegetables start sticking to the pan. Then add the Ras el Hanout to the pan stirring so all vegetables are fully coated in the spices. Add a splash (50ml) of water and then let it cook on a low heat for 5 mins.
    Add the Tomato Paste and stir it in thoroughly. Add the Mushroom Stock and the 500ml of boiled water to the dish. Stir until mixed through.
    Add the tomatoes and dried cranberries to the dish (if using). Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 mins until the potatoes are semi-cooked. Stir through the spinach, then pop the dish in the oven uncovered for 15 mins until the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are soft.
    Remove from the oven and serve with a dollop of yoghurt on the side and a squeeze of lemon (if using)

That sounds really, really good. Gonna need to try that - thanks!
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    dexsmom38 wrote: »

I just printed this. Gotta try this next week! I think I'll just use 6 whole eggs and skip the whites. I hate wasting the yolks.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    deneenae wrote: »
    dexsmom38 wrote: »

I just printed this. Gotta try this next week! I think I'll just use 6 whole eggs and skip the whites. I hate wasting the yolks.

by a carton of egg whites - that is what I use
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I like my butternut squash cubed and roasted in the oven with just olive oil and herbs.

Sometimes my mom does a mash with just a little bit of butter and salt.

Squash is also a good add-in for soups and curries.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    This soup is freaking delicious: http://makingthymeforhealth.com/butternut-squash-sweet-potato-soup-vegan/
    Butternut-Squash-and-Sweet-Potato-Soup-vegan-1-250x250.jpg

I know it says vegan, but I top mine with crumbled bacon for extra deliciousness.
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I bake it WHOLE until the outside is dark. http://www.thekitchn.com/quick-tip-an-ea-159575

This is awesome!! What temperature do you bake it at?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

We made that for thanksgiving at the in-laws. Well received!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I am making twice baked butternut squash, with ricotta salata, parmesan, onions, and sage tonight. New recipe I found and tweeked. Excited!

@sarjenki could you please post the recipe? that sounds similar to what I had at a local restaurant.

I wish I could post an Awesome for the entire thread.
  • mlbish624
    mlbish624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a GREAT curried butternut squash soup recipe. I use this one to work from:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235295/curried-butternut-squash-soup/

I don't put in the cream--you don't need it. I have homemade chicken stock all the time in the freezer, so I use that, and honey is negotiable.

And OMG don't peel and cut up the squash. That's way too hard. Just hack it in half, scrape out the seeds, salt it, and cook it in the oven on a cookie sheet until it's soft, then scrape it into the soup. You will love this recipe, I promise.

• GreenEyedMonster6
    Options
    Here is my favorite recipe. The photo on the website doesn't do it justice. I use goat cheese instead of ricotta, and it is DELICIOUS
    https://food52.com/recipes/7374-caramelized-butternut-squash-wedges-with-a-sage-hazelnut-pesto
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That sounds really, really good. Gonna need to try that - thanks!

My daughter gave me a variety of spice blends for Christmas, including Raz El Hanout (they spelled it with "z" rather than "s" - dont know which version is preferred). I've used it for a baked chicken flavoring and a couscous dish, and have begun looking for additional uses. Since we all love butternut squash, this recipe looks like a winner to try. Thanks!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I am making twice baked butternut squash, with ricotta salata, parmesan, onions, and sage tonight. New recipe I found and tweeked. Excited!

@sarjenki could you please post the recipe? that sounds similar to what I had at a local restaurant.

I wish I could post an Awesome for the entire thread.

-2.5 pound butternut squash (ends trimmed, cut lengthwise and seeds scraped out)
    -1/2 c chopped red onion
    -2 oz ricotta salata grated (or u can use the stuff in the tubs)
    - 1/2 c grated Parmesan
    - 1-2 tsp sage
    - Salt and pepper to taste

- put squash flesh side down on a pan lined with parchment paper and bake until tender (takes 45 min to 1 hr)
    - When done let cool enough to work with squash the spoon out flesh leaving enough on sides for the squash to hold its shape
    - Mash all other ingredients in with the scooped out squash flesh and refill into the shells
    - Back in the oven until cheeses are melted
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    1 x butternut squash, quartered and roasted with fry lite and seasoning (salt, pepper and lots of smoked paprika)
    750 gms potatoes, chopped and baked with fry lite
    450 gms carrots, baked with fry lite, and some honey
    2 onion halves
    1 litre of oxo veg stock

Bake the veg on oven trays for 30 minutes. Blitz in blender with stock to taste.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mixed with Mac and cheese, with sage, salt, and pepper.