I will not regain the weight that I lost, because...

Options
124»

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I will not regain the weight that I lost because I like finally being able to look at myself in the mirror.

I will not regain the weight that I lost because I like being able to touch my toes

I will not regain the weight that I lost because I finally learned how many calories it takes to make Mac and Cheese (my favorite food) tasty
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Keeping weight off is a challenge.

So, it's better to lose and maintain in a healthy, sustainable way. And to not fall back into old habits. And to build new habits.

Being unnecessarily pessimistic is not helpful to a lot of people, and could be part of the reason people gain the weight back.

No reason to take these responses as an attack on you. They are good news. And they include helpful info.

Thanks! You are right that being unnecessarily pessimistic is not helpful for many. In retrospective I should not have mentioned the percentages - I think being on this forum discussing your weight loss progress, experiences, etc may already be a big success factor. I do think that being unnecessarily optimistic is not helpful either - so, I think the best way to approach this is as a challenge, but one that you can handle if you put in the effort and find the right way!

Yeah, I don't think it is helpful to be unnecessarily pessimistic or overly optimistic. Realistic and balanced is good.
  • mskimee
    mskimee Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I will not regain the weight I lost because I don't want to be the girl who got married and let herself go! And because I don't want to run into someone I haven't seen for years and get *that* look when they recognise me. And because I don't want to get the weight related illnesses that have harmed so many of my family members.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read that 90% of the people who lost a significant amount of weight regain it all back in a few years, or gain even more. The reasons for this is basically that the body does not want you to lose weight - when you lose, your body will keep encouraging you to gain it back. Your appetite will be bigger and you'll burn less then other people of the same weight who've always been on that weight.

So, it's not easy, but apparently 10% did it. Now, since we all think that we are the exception (I do think so :P), complete this sentence for me:

"I will not regain the weight that I lost, like most people do, because..."

My answer: because I don't view weight loss as a temporary project, but as a lifelong thing. This means that I will keep educating myself about healthy living, monitoring my weigh/health regularly and I'm always prepared to take action to protect my health - I'll do this early.
    In practice this means that when I weight 80 kg, every month I'll check on my weight and during the following days I'll get it back to 80 if the difference is more than 3 kg. Sometimes this means that I have to gain weight, sometimes lose.
    Every year I'll get a full checkup on my health at the doctor I'll use what I learn from that to adjust my goals and activities.

I am curious what you have to say. Try to be honest and realistic. And I encourage everyone to judge the people who've answered before you: are they in the 90% or in the 10%? Do you think the method the person proposes is realistic? Effective? Sustainable? Does it take into account different scenarios? Of course only judge if you have constructive criticism. I trust that you can do this in a positive way - please just ignore those who don't.

Why do I ask you to judge each other? Not to start fights, but because it's really unhealthy to yoyo with your weight - so it's nice to get this on the table while you are losing weight and plan in advance how you'll deal with it. Discussion with constructive criticism can greatly improve your plan. Of course you're welcome to judge me.

I like this!.. and yes a lot of peeps gain it back... ive maintained (within 5lbs of the 41 I lost in 4mo) so far on mfp... I weigh myself EVERY Friday.. weather I want to or not.. weather I had a good week or 'bad' week of eating... so I can "catch" the wt gain vs going 3 mo or so w/out weighting and oh look im up 15#'s!!!!:noway: ... consitancy is Key... not deprivation... ive maintained now for a while.. but still have about 25#'s more to loose... my body feels good now and like its normal or at goal wt.. but really NO.. i Def need to loose more... I take it day by day and will achieve my goal.. not a race thats for sure... the slower you loose it the more likely you will keep it off too
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    I will not regain the weight I lost because I don't want to be the girl who got married and let herself go! And because I don't want to run into someone I haven't seen for years and get *that* look when they recognise me. And because I don't want to get the weight related illnesses that have harmed so many of my family members.

Good motivations there! Good luck in reaching your goals and staying there!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read that 90% of the people who lost a significant amount of weight regain it all back in a few years, or gain even more. The reasons for this is basically that the body does not want you to lose weight - when you lose, your body will keep encouraging you to gain it back. Your appetite will be bigger and you'll burn less then other people of the same weight who've always been on that weight.

So, it's not easy, but apparently 10% did it. Now, since we all think that we are the exception (I do think so :P), complete this sentence for me:

"I will not regain the weight that I lost, like most people do, because..."

My answer: because I don't view weight loss as a temporary project, but as a lifelong thing. This means that I will keep educating myself about healthy living, monitoring my weigh/health regularly and I'm always prepared to take action to protect my health - I'll do this early.
    In practice this means that when I weight 80 kg, every month I'll check on my weight and during the following days I'll get it back to 80 if the difference is more than 3 kg. Sometimes this means that I have to gain weight, sometimes lose.
    Every year I'll get a full checkup on my health at the doctor I'll use what I learn from that to adjust my goals and activities.

I am curious what you have to say. Try to be honest and realistic. And I encourage everyone to judge the people who've answered before you: are they in the 90% or in the 10%? Do you think the method the person proposes is realistic? Effective? Sustainable? Does it take into account different scenarios? Of course only judge if you have constructive criticism. I trust that you can do this in a positive way - please just ignore those who don't.

Why do I ask you to judge each other? Not to start fights, but because it's really unhealthy to yoyo with your weight - so it's nice to get this on the table while you are losing weight and plan in advance how you'll deal with it. Discussion with constructive criticism can greatly improve your plan. Of course you're welcome to judge me.

That's a load of crap. People gain it back because they "diet" (action verb) rather than taking a look at their "diet" (noun) and learning or re-learning how to eat and what to eat...what a portion of something looks like, etc. When people diet, they tend to deprive themselves of everything...so they never learn moderation...you should never completely eliminate anything when you're "dieting" unless you intend to never eat that particular thing ever again.

Also, when people stop their dieting they also tend to stop exercising...this is largely because people fail to set independent fitness goals for themselves...their exercise is completely focused on calories burned because that is their only obsession...they fail to see the bigger picture. They fail to see that proper diet and fitness have to be an integral part of their life FOREVER.

I will not gain weight back because I view my diet as a noun...I'm maintaining currently (and don't log) and I eat the same kinds of foods that I was eating at deficit...I just throw in an extra handful of nuts or whatever here and there to get my calories up to maintain. Also, I don't "workout"...I "train" and I'm addicted to fitness...I could give a rats *kitten* about "burn"...I just want to run further and faster...lift heavier...swim faster and harder...cycle hills better, etc. Someday I want to look back on my first sprint triathlon and say, "LOL"...I'm an Ironman"...I want to leave everyone in my wake to stare at my *kitten* in wonder.
    :heart: