Options
124»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    this may be more simple than you think, and I apologize if someone has already mentioned it...two thoughts, one you aren't eating enough and your body is hoarding every calorie it can, basically you have gone into starvation mode. Secondly, you may be dropping weight in terms of fat but adding muscle, so its a wash (this week). Try taking measurements so see if you are losing inches...

Starvation mode isn't real and she isn't adding muscle netting below 1200 calories...

also i would like to suggest, instead of trying to shut down everyones comment that you dont agree with, simply write your own answer and leave it at that.

What winogelato said is scientific truth, though, so I'm not certain what you're objecting to?

Meal timing *is* completely irrelevant to weight management, despite all of the diets, cleanses,
    shakes and potions you might have read about on the internet. Some people don't like to eat just before bedtime, because it makes them feel uncomfortable or gives them acid reflux if they lie down. Other people simply can't go to sleep unless they're full. It's simply a matter of personal preference.

But for weight management, the only thing that matters is the total calories you eat in a day - not when you eat them. :)

And starvation mode as you described it above, doesn't exist either, I'm afraid. It's a commonly believed myth that we see here often. If starvation mode existed, how could anyone become anorexic or even die from under-eating, when, in truth, this happens all the time.

And thirdly, building muscle while dropping fat is virtually impossible to do simultaneously. Because gaining muscle happens in a calorie surplus while losing fat happens while in a calorie deficit. :)
  • lost_work7
    lost_work7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've been logging for nearly 3 weeks now and I've only lost 1lb. I got a scale first week in and I have a personal trainer. It's frustrating, but I'm going to keep going until a month or so to see if I lose more. I've always had a hard time losing weight which is why I've given up so many times before. It's also discouraging when you're working out with friends and they're following the same plan and they've lost 10lbs in a month and I've only lost 2.

Just keep working at it and give it more time.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OP, do use a food scale to weigh the everything that isn't a liquid. Log bites and tastes. Log cooking oils, salad dressings fruit and vegetables. Weigh pre-packaged foods. Everything. I even weigh peanut butter, butter and mayo. Your body logs every food and drink that you consume, so you should as well.

Keep in mind that weight will fluctuate.

Stick to this for a month then reassess.

I like to "practice" eating at maintenance every now and then. Getting prepared.
    I use the elliptical for 30 mins a day and burn around 250-280cal for 30 minutes so I don't thi k you are burning 500cals for 45mins.

when is your last meal? if I were you I would stop eating after 7. If you already are, I'd eat smaller portions than you are more frequently throughout the day and try doing some sit ups and other strength workouts to tighten your stomach so it feels like your stomach is very tight vs being filled with food.

No to everything in the second paragraph. Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss, as is meal size. Both of those are a matter of personal preference and won't influence weight loss. And do sit ups so your stomach is tight and won't be filled with food? I don't even know what that means...

meal timing does influence weight loss (maybe not for you) but it definitely has helped in my own diet. Especially when eating at night, then going to sleep without being active, my stomach has a hard time digesting the food from lack of movement.

for me, eating smaller dishes frequently helps me maintain energy and helps with my digestions. unlike when I use to eat bigger portions and feel sluggish or having a food coma from feeling so full afterwards. so just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others :)

and to the ending comment, maybe I wasn't clear enough with my words or including the "verses" is what confused you. when i used to eat a big meal, my stomach would feel full and bloat, especially a night time. other days when I haven't eaten big meals or after I work out my stomach feels nice a tight. so what im saying is dont eat late meals, do some stomach exercises before you go to sleep so your stomach won't feel stuffed with food.

There is no scientific impact on weight loss related to meal timing. As I said in my comment, it is a matter of personal preference. If eating more often and ending your eating time earlier works well for you - that's great - but again, will have no direct impact on weight loss for OP.

I still don't understand how doing sit ups before bed would help your stomach not feel stuffed with food. This again sounds like something that you enjoy doing and gives you a good feeling - but from a scientific, weight loss, or fitness perspective - there is just no logic to support this.

Her original post is filled with misinformation presupposed from a number of weight loss myths - and posters throughout this thread, including you, are validating those myths.

*standing ovation*
    Agreed 100% with @WinoGelato and science.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,061 Member
    Options
    guessjr94 wrote: »
    Hi there.. I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm net 1200 and do three hour cardio sessions a week that I don't log or eat back and the scales (or my measurements) won't budge. I weigh everything, I easily drink over a gallon of water a day... it's pretty frustrating. If you find something that works, let me know!
    I'm putting mine down to the fact I haven't been able to poop properly for a couple weeks (despite eating 25g fibre on average per day) and that I skippped a period so maybe it's my hormones playing up.. who knows!! I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see

an obvious alternative occurs to me.......

You know, you can skip a period with birth control right? I skip mine every so often. That is what I took from her statement.

Of course.

I said an alternative occurred to me, not I had the definitive answer.

Anyway has OP opened her diary so posters can give specific constructive assistance?