February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 thanks! I may not be near any grandiose national parks or anything, but I think the lower Hudson Valley and Palisades have a beauty all their own! My grandma is adorable and always calls the Hudson the Beautiful Majestic Hudson (which my dad shortened to the BMH - he's the king of acronyms :D )
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    01/02 3.06 miles
    08/02 3.16 miles
    09/02 3.51 miles
    10/02 3.14 miles - I had an espresso just before I went running and it sent heart rate away crazy, NEVER AGAIN. I had to keep stopping and thought I was going to faint or be sick! Lesson learned!! :D

exercise.png

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Planned Races
    2/11 - Red Flannel Run 5 Mile
    4/8 - Beer and Bagel "Off Road"
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay
    6/3 - Dam to Dam HM
    10/15 - IMT Des Moines HM

@karllundy - your post reminds me that I might *think* about doing the Dam to Dam HM. I could combine that with my summer Iowa family visit. Is it a good race? I'm thinking there would be some pretty good hills in that area. It's a little early for when I was planning to start HM training though so not sure it's the best plan, but maybe...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 thanks! I may not be near any grandiose national parks or anything, but I think the lower Hudson Valley and Palisades have a beauty all their own! My grandma is adorable and always calls the Hudson the Beautiful Majestic Hudson (which my dad shortened to the BMH - he's the king of acronyms :D )

Me neither - more than 500 miles from a national park, but there are a few decent state and city parks within 150 mile radius.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Had a couple of days off (life) whilst working myself up to throwing myself properly into my maratahon training plan. In reality I will start on Monday (as have my daughter this weekend) but had opportunity to get out for a run at lunch time today before picking her up.

I was slightly worried setting out as haven't been feeling great last couple of days (more mental than physical) and was going to be a cold and windy one. Anyway, I gritted my teeth and headed out, and was so glad I did. Today was another point-to-point run (~11k) with a time limit, and literally for the first time since before Christmas I felt better as the run went on and could have gone on longer today if I had needed to, so that's a good sign.

Also, the wind turned out to be a cross-tail wind for most of the run so didn't feel too cold, despite the occasional snow flurries reminding me it was! All in all feel a lot better/more confident going into proper training next week.

exercise.png
    01-Feb: 1.7km treadmill intervals [TM]
    02-Feb: 3.4k treadmill [TM]
    05-Feb: 6.6k + 5.5k easy
    06-Feb: 7.5k tempo
    07-Feb: 4.1k easy
    10-Feb: 11.5k MP

2017 Confirmed Races:
    19-Mar: Richmond Half Marathon
    14-May: Bexhill Starfish Marathon
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My calves are STILL sore ftom Wednesday. I'm planning to run tonight regardless, but I may have to keep it short. Just weird. Last time I ran 10 I didn't have this much soreness.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 I grew up doing ballet and ice skating so I've always loved dancing. I used to do Zumba quite a bit, but as I started doing long runs on Saturdays, Zumba fell by the wayside. I'm now doing my long runs on Sundays so it wouldn't be as difficult to get back to Zumba on Saturday mornings. It's so much fun and we have a great instructor at the gym. It feels like I'm at a night club, but sober, dancing at 8:30 am with people young and old. Lol!

@lporter229 Yeah, I can't run there at night either, unless it's a social run. It's great during the day on weekends. I still always bring my pepper spray with me there. Some parts have lots of people, but there are parts of the trail where I'm all by myself that aren't in the best areas of town.

@katharmonic Such pretty snow pictures!! Highs in the 70s by me. Lol!

@garygse So sorry about the damage!! Sounds like a nightmare something that would happen in a Chevy Chase National Lampoons movie. Hope you get it fixed soon!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello. Work and being mom have been killing me this week. I don't think I've been home before 8 once this week. Got up to run this morning and heard the weather say "25 and cloudy early and 62 and sunny this afternoon" well 62 and sunny won, so I'm leaving work at 3:00 today come hell or high water and hitting the greenway on the way home.

Skip is working at 5K in the morning, if it's not yucky out I might do a last minute registration and run it.

Everyone is doing great. I'm loving all the pictures of areas you run and the snow.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

@karllundy - your post reminds me that I might *think* about doing the Dam to Dam HM. I could combine that with my summer Iowa family visit. Is it a good race? I'm thinking there would be some pretty good hills in that area. It's a little early for when I was planning to start HM training though so not sure it's the best plan, but maybe...

I like it. There is one big hill about 6 miles in, otherwise it is slightly downhill most of the way. Last year, the sun was really hot, so in the last mile people were really suffering. I've only run it twice. It is well organized and pretty large, so it's a lot of fun for atmosphere.

Here's a link to the course.

http://www.damtodam.com/pdf/halfmarathoncourse.pdf
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic- So pretty. I'll bet Stella had a blast. Lucky dog!
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for February
    2/1 5 miles - 5
    2/2 10miles - 15
    2/3 5 miles - 20
    2/4 18 miles - 38
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 10 miles - 48
    2/7 10 miles - 58
    2/7 5 miles - 63 << Daily Double and leg workout in the gym
    2/8 5 miles - 68
    2/9 7.5 miles - 75.5
    2/10 REST DAY

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

I'm gonna rest up my tired muscles and get in a shorter long run tomorrow morning and then taper next week for my 1/2 next Saturday.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Wow!! I can't imagine running a 5K at that pace, much less maintaining it for 13.1 miles!

My husband descibes my HM finishes similar...like I'm falling apart. Except I'm going so much slower. Lol
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options

Wow!! I can't imagine running a 5K at that pace, much less maintaining it for 13.1 miles!

My husband descibes my HM finishes similar...like I'm falling apart. Except I'm going so much slower. Lol

@beeerrunner ha ha me too!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1/17 - 6 miles

2/3/17 - 12 miles
    2/4/17 - 7 miles
    2/5/17 - 7 miles

2/7/17 - 7.5 miles
    2/8/17 - 6 miles

2/10/17 - 12 miles

Nearly all of my miles are on the treadmill. Today's 12 were no exception. I've got the aerobics step wedged under the back end, and when you put the incline on "6" the belt is dead level. So I ran 1/4 mile at "6," 1/4 mile at "12," 1/4 mile at "6" again, and 1/4 mile at "0," which is downhill. Repeat 11 more times. I think it's funny that it works out for me to run hills on my long run day, but if I try it on a shorter run, I push too fast and can't finish at all.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Goal: 100k

2/2: 3.1k easy, incline
    2/4: 1.2k -abandoned
    2/7: 1.5k -run/walk adductor testing, pain slightly
    2/8: 2k -easy run, so easy a lvl 1 zombie could catch me. Adductor behaved better.
    2/9: 1.5k -warmup for strength training-improvement
    2/10: 6k -easy, testing adductor went good

Things are going better and better..

15.3/100k

Races:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Your link is blocked at my work. What was it????
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    zub5ihys8ih3.jpg

^ THAT looks like heaven!

No running for me yesterday (4th day in a row). I didn't have to work late, and I had the ok from my wife to go out, but I found myself just wiped out from getting 4 hours of sleep a night this week.

I'm just about to leave work 2 hours early so I can go home and run as much as possible before my son's soccer game. Hoping that means about 10 to 12 miles. It's an unseasonable 44°F right now! That probably means cold slushy mud on the trails so I may stick to pavement.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Paris is about 4 hours by train from where I live, 5-6 by car. So unfortunately not exactly around the corner, or I'd invite you for a coffee - or a run, or both :smile:
    It sounds great that you found a running group you can join after strength training. Hopefully next time there'll be more people at your pace.

@OSUbuckeye906 How did your doctor checkup go? Are you cleared for running again?

@autumnblade75 You forgot to try out your new running shoes? That's not normal! :grin: At least this way they stay "new shoes" a little longer ^^

@ritzvin That photo is fantastic, soo cool! B)

@HonuNui I can't help with identifying your weird non-octupus. But I always love your pictures of sea critters, whatever they might be.

@lporter229 Skipping the speedwork sounds like a wise choice. I hope a nice easy run loosens up the tight muscles.

@katharmonic Very pretty winter wonderland!

---

Yesterday was my speedwork day, with the goal of doing 5x800m intervals in 3:58-4:08min, with 400m recovery. The first four intervals were okay, in 3:58, 4:04, 4:02, 4:07 minutes. The last interval was a little messed up - just as I started, a car driver decided to drive out of the side street I was passing just in front of me and then all of a sudden stop, blocking the sidewalk. I wasn't so close that I was in danger of smashing into the car or anything, but it threw me off, and I had to slow down and get around him, so I aborted that interval and waited for the next 400m-lap-beep from my watch. Until then I had been running back and forth along the same street, because it's the flattest stretch of road near where I live, but the car encounter annoyed me enough that I decided to run the last 800m somewhere else. Which was stupid, because my chosen "somewhere else" included some zig-zagging and ~100m of unlit muddy path with slippery bridge. How I managed to end up with 4:18min despite that is a miracle...

One good thing: the toe that I stubbed on Monday is all but okay now - on Tuesday I had to abort my run after 3km because it hurt too much, Wednesday it started twinging after 4km (but not bad enough to stop), and now it doesn't hurt anymore, I just "notice" it a bit, if that makes any sense. Today is a rest day, tomorrow it should be fine completely.

o6sTp1.png