February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 So glad you can start running a bit. That's great news!

@MNLittleFinn Glad you finally got to see people on your run. That's one of the reasons I like my long run spot...Depending on which way you go, there are lots of other runners and cyclists to watch. I even saw a guy riding a unicycle once!! Lol! There are paths with much less people too. I usually do a little of both. :smile:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Feb MTD (goal = 70)
    02/01/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    02/02/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 5.7
    02/03/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 8.3
    02/04/17 :::: 6.8 :::: 15.1
    02/05/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 19.1
    02/06/17 :::: 3.7 :::: 22.8
    02/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 22.8
    02/08/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 26.1
    02/09/17 :::: 2.6 :::: 28.7
    02/10/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 31.8
    02/11/17 :::: 7.6 :::: 39.4

Long run this morning was cold, but not as brutally cold as it has been. Big crowd showed up today and the park was full of runners. Looking back, this was actually my longest distance run since I ran my HM back in October. I was disappointed I didn't quite get to 8 miles even (we run by time, not miles), but not enough to go back out there once I had stopped.

I'm feeling some major winter fatigue. I was doing pretty well with it by getting out and enjoying snowshoeing and some XC skiing, but now I'm over it. Let's bring on spring. I'm headed to Scottsdale AZ in a little over 2 weeks for a conference and that is starting to sound really good. I can't wait to run there.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options

Wow! Just Wow!
    That is under a 5 min mile for the entire race...
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Feb 01     6.5T       6.5
    Feb 02     4.7T      11.2
    Feb 04     5.6       16.8
    Feb 05     6.5       23.3
    Feb 06     5.1       28.4
    Feb 09     5.6       34.0
    Feb 11     6.8T      40.8

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    7---2.45 mile walk
    10---same 2.45 mile walk
    11---3.79 walk

7.69/something

Maybe races
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half

I might make a plan to be able to make that half in April. I'm basically at square one. The half is 11 weeks away.

Anyone have any suggestions/feedback? I think its a stretch. But doable if I don't mind a ~2:40 finish.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    2/1 - cross-training - zumba
    2/2 - 7 mile general aerobic run
    2/3 - 6 mile general aerobic run
    2/4 - cross-training - zumba/weights
    2/5 - 9 mile long run
    2/6 - rest
    2/7 - 6 mile general aerobic run / cross-training - weights
    2/8 - cross-training - zumba+7 min elliptical
    2/9 - active rest - shoveling/walk
    2/10 - 7 mile LT tempo run on the dreadmill
    2/11 - 2.5 mile LT pace run to the gym / zumba / 3.5 mile general aerobic run home

Total: 41/116

So, I don't normally run on Saturdays, just zumba, but I was a day off because of the snow storm on Thurs. I didn't intend to have a 2nd day of LT tempo but I got out of the house a few minutes late and didn't want to be late for zumba, lol. I have a feeling that tomorrow's long run is going to feel tired and slow!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first 20 miler of the season. It was a bit of a struggle. I decided to listen to my body yesterday and took the day off from running. My hubby and I watched the movie "Captain Fantastic" (good flick) last night and I foam rolled and stretched through the whole thing. I was still worried about the leg this morning when we started off because it was already sore. At the start, I was pretty convinced that I would not make it through 20 miles. It started loosening up a bit in the middle of the run and I kept on going, but the last several miles were a bit rough.

I am still trying to figure out how to handle this thing. Obviously, it's not super serious situation because I was able to do the 20 mile run and still had negative splits (sped up a bit on the last 5 miles when I was solo, not intentionally, but because that was where it felt best to run). When I had the stress fracture in my foot, running was simply not possible, although I am trying not to compare the two. I am considering contacting a PT. For those of you that have, how do they actually determine what you have going on? I mean, if it's just based off of me saying it hurts, then well, what's the point?
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    7---2.45 mile walk
    might make a plan to be able to make that half in April. I'm basically at square one. The half is 11 weeks away.

Anyone have any suggestions/feedback? I think its a stretch. But doable if I don't mind a ~2:40 finish.

A ~2:40 (or more) finish is better than a DNS!

• Elise4270
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    7---2.45 mile walk
    might make a plan to be able to make that half in April. I'm basically at square one. The half is 11 weeks away.

A ~2:40 (or more) finish is better than a DNS!

Good point!
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Just finished my first 20 miler of the season. It was a bit of a struggle. I decided to listen to my body yesterday and took the day off from running. My hubby and I watched the movie "Captain Fantastic" (good flick) last night and I foam rolled and stretched through the whole thing. I was still worried about the leg this morning when we started off because it was already sore. At the start, I was pretty convinced that I would not make it through 20 miles. It started loosening up a bit in the middle of the run and I kept on going, but the last several miles were a bit rough.

I am still trying to figure out how to handle this thing. Obviously, it's not super serious situation because I was able to do the 20 mile run and still had negative splits (sped up a bit on the last 5 miles when I was solo, not intentionally, but because that was where it felt best to run). When I had the stress fracture in my foot, running was simply not possible, although I am trying not to compare the two. I am considering contacting a PT. For those of you that have, how do they actually determine what you have going on? I mean, if it's just based off of me saying it hurts, then well, what's the point?

In my experience, the PT finds things that I didn't know even hurt. They understand how each link of the chain works together, why it hurts and what is happening with it. I think pts are more valuable than my doc's.

So, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot and see what they can do for you.

How do they determine? Mostly feel around, Check tender points and range of motion, flexibility and strength too. When you do "A", it hurts and how it hurts can help them determine the cause. Good one can just touch an area and feel whats going on. I've had one or two that just didn't care if something hurt outside of what the doc sent me for. Good ones will address all of it. If they don't, might keep looking if you feel it also needs attention.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @elise4270 - it took me a while but I finally saw them! How adorable! RE: HM - even 2:40 is good. Yeah, it's slower but you've had a long recovery. On my HM last weekend there were people still walking in when I was driving away and they had to be >3 hours, but who cares!? They did it!
    @skippygirlsmom - so sorry on hip.
    @garygse - oh no! That’s awful!
    @Marissaxzxzxz - That’s scary! Glad you are okay.
    @katharmonic - wow! Beautiful snowy pictures!

This is the strangest week. I know 3 people in the same hospital. One is the wife of a good friend of mine (lung cancer - been in since Thursday). I know the husband much more than the wife - he's a cyclist and we ride every Sat/Sun together. The second is a very good friend, teacher at my school. She got a very strange infection in her throat and this will be her 3rd night in. They can't seem to get it under control. Then this morning, one of my neighbors, who is in my cycling group had a heart attack. He was warming up in the parking lot (which a lot of us do - no one is there because it's 7am) and we see a firetruck and ambulance pull into the parking lot - he was about 1/8 mile away from where we were standing and we realize it is someone from our group down. At first we thought he got hit by a car but then we see another cyclist doing compressions on him. Turns out that the guy doing compressions is a cardiac nurse. My neighbor just fell over and passed out and hit the side of his face really bad and was knocked out. If that nurse hadn't been there... who knows. He called 911 and did the compressions until the ambulance came. They airlifted him to the hospital where my other two friends are... and he is going to be sedated overnight and they will check his brain function then. But they think he will be okay because he was trying to wake up when they sedated him.
    Both my friend and neighbor are seemingly VERY healthy. She's a runner, the one who got me into running and planking and all kinds of healthy stuff. He cycles all the time - he's in the fastest group and rides probably 200+ miles a week.

So lots of prayers tonight at church from me and lots of being thankful for my health. You just never know.

2/1 - strength training
    2/2 - 4.30 miles
    2/3 - rest day(5)
    2/4 - cycling 34 miles
    2/5 - Daytona HM - 2:22.01
    2/6 - Strength training
    2/7 - 3.5 miles
    2/8 - Strength training + 3.1 miles with running group
    2/9 - rest day (6)
    2/10 - 4.1 miles
    2/11 - 44 miles biking

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@lporter229 I went to a dr 1st, and they referred me to PT. When I met the PT, she pressed and moved my leg to see what felt ok and what hurt. The hamstring is long and can hurt in different areas. Mine was on the right in the lower exterior portion behind my knee. She also video'd me running and determined that my glutes weren't engaging in my kick back. The week before I hurt myself, I was trying new things with my stride to get a bigger push off, and I must have used my hamstrings instead of my glutes.

Not sure if it helps, but that was my experience.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @ddmom0811 @HonuNui The time doesn't really concern me, it's the stress of training. Coming off the injured list to HM in 11 weeks is potentially just dumb. I could just plan on a fall half. But a slow half may not be stupid.

Just wondering what anyone else thought. Off 7 months now with no cardiovascular training.

Doc appointment the 24th. I will take into I account how he feels about it.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

2/1/17 - 6 miles

2/3/17 - 12 miles
    2/4/17 - 7 miles
    2/5/17 - 7 miles

2/7/17 - 7.5 miles
    2/8/17 - 6 miles

2/10/17 - 12 miles
    2/11/17 - 4.5 miles

I meant to do 6 miles, but I don't seem to have it in me, today. I'll still be on track for this challenge, I think - perhaps tomorrow I'll feel like doing extra.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    2/1 6.3r 4.4w
    2/2 5.2r 5.3w
    2/3 0.0r 7.25w
    2/4 7.0r 0.5w
    2/5 4.2r 0.0w
    2/6 5.1r 4.6w
    2/7 5.05r 4.4w
    2/8 10.0r 0.5w
    2/9 0.0r 7.3w
    2/10 5.2r 6.1w
    2/11 7.5r 0.5w
    Total so far = 55.55r + 40.85w = 96.4 miles

Today's run started out rather annoyingly. I was about 2 miles in and running along one of the busier roads when someone yelled out of a car window at me. He sounded to be about 12 or 13, and the things he said I cannot repeat here without a lot of *kitten*. I just hope whoever was driving gave him what for. :smile:

After getting over that (I had to stop for a minute to regain my cool), I continued on, and later on in the run I came up behind another runner who had to have been the strangest person I have ever seen running. He was shirtless (in February, in Chicago), very, very hairy, and running barefoot in the street. His shoes were tucked into the waist of his little running shorts (yes, all he was wearing was shorts... in February). I followed behind him for quite a ways and was thoroughly amused by the sight. He was also grunting a lot. To each their own, right?

I came in at 7.5 miles in my mom's neighborhood. I keep having to come up with new ways to increase the distance around her house. This time I took an extra couple blocks around the library and went down about three extra blocks on the main drag before turning. Pretty soon I'll be out in the next town over... LOL.

I wish I'd have gotten a picture of this shirtless guy, but I didn't want to be THAT person. You have to just believe me when I say that it was a very amusing sight on a February weekend.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Addendum: My car is once again in the shop. Took it in last week Sunday when the check engine light came on while driving, and also the car felt like it was downshifting. They kept the car for three days, I had to get a rental, and they couldn't find the problem. They wound up just cleaning out the fuel system and hoping that fixed the problem. Well, it didn't. I was driving again last night and the same thing happened, the car felt like it downshifted for like 30 seconds and the check engine light came back on. Sooo... this time I took it to my parents' mechanic. He won't be able to get to it until Monday, but luckily this place has loaner cars, so for the weekend I am driving a Honda Odyssey minivan. LOL! This thing is huge compared to what I drive.

So, weekend #2 of car trouble. At the very least, it's been interesting having different cars to drive in the meantime.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - That runner -- what?! That is crazy! And hilarious!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    2/1 - cross-training - zumba
    2/2 - 7 mile general aerobic run
    2/3 - 6 mile general aerobic run
    2/4 - cross-training - zumba/weights
    2/5 - 9 mile long run
    2/6 - rest
    2/7 - 6 mile general aerobic run / cross-training - weights
    2/8 - cross-training - zumba+7 min elliptical
    2/9 - active rest - shoveling/walk
    2/10 - 7 mile LT tempo run (20 min @ tempo) on the dreadmill

Total: 35/116

Question for you guys. When doing a tempo run is there any benefit or advantage to putting the tempo portion towards the beginning, middle, or end of the run? For example, tonight's run called for 7 miles, with 20 min at lactate threshold pace. I ran for 40 minutes, then did the 20 min at tempo, and was left with 1 mile (another 10 min), so I obviously placed the tempo portion more towards the end. Is that good? Bad? Doesn't matter in the slightest? Thanks!

If it's a simple tempo run, putting it somewhere in the middle so you have a warm up, the tempo run, and a cool down is good. If 1 mile is all you need for a cool down, you did fine. If 1 mile is all you need for a warmup, you would have been fine having the tempo portion 30 minutes earlier.

In more complex workouts there is sometimes a purpose to where the tempo run is located. The classic tough workout in my marathon training plan is 3 miles easy, 2 x (4 miles MP, 1 mile tempo), 2 miles easy. The point is that the second 4 miles at MP simulate tired legs late in a marathon without beating the body up as hard as running 20 miles would, while the second tempo interval simulates the push to finish a marathon strong after running several miles on tired legs. Then comes a cool down, because after all this is training and not a race.

But with the simple tempo workout you have today, there's no particular need to have the tempo portion early, late, or dead centered. Take is as a personal preference choice.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @ddmom0811 @HonuNui The time doesn't really concern me, it's the stress of training. Coming off the injured list to HM in 11 weeks is potentially just dumb. I could just plan on a fall half. But a slow half may not be stupid.

Just wondering what anyone else thought. Off 7 months now with no cardiovascular training.

Doc appointment the 24th. I will take into I account how he feels about it.

I don't remember whether this will be your first half marathon. If you've never run a half before, I'd say don't do it. Take more time, and wait until there is no doubt that your body is ready for the distance. Maybe don't even register for a half until you feel ready to run that far.

If you've run one or more half marathons already, the picture changes. You will have some idea of how it feels to run that far in a race environment, and can make a more rational decision as to whether 11 weeks is enough to get to where you need to be.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    February Running Totals (miles)
    2/1 – 7.00 easy
    2/2 – 2.63 easy shakedown run
    2/3 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/4 – 7.99 warm up on road + 8K cross country
    2/5 – travel day, didn't get a run in
    2/6 – travel day
    2/7 – 9.26 warm up, speed work, cool down
    2/8 – 7.02 group run
    2/9 – 12.03 MP intervals
    2/10 – rest day
    2/11 – 18.63 paced run + solo miles

February total to date – 64.56

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Survive travel to and from Bend. Train well toward Boston. Avoid injury.

Today's notes – An inch of snow over night, shoveled the driveway around 5 AM. It was nicely picturesque for the Freezeroo race that I'd already decided not to run today. Looked at the routes for the paced run, and saw a lot of distance along major road where we would need to run on the sidewalks. Roads were clear at my house, but you count on snow on the sidewalks. So I wore my trail shoes.

Yes, there was snow on the sidewalks. There was also snow cover on some of the residential streets where we could run in the streets. As is typical, I didn't take any pictures; but the other pace leader got a shot of us at the water stop (with sample GU products). So here are the 8:00 and 8:30 pace groups, because we held pace pretty well but Chris and Jeff ran around 8:15 and came in to the water stop before we left:

s6qyn8o0lrph.jpg

I didn't pause my watch at the water stop, and the split for mile 5 indicates we were probably stopped about 4 minutes. Other than that, I held us close enough to an 8 pace for 12 miles. (Paused at mile 7 to regroup and allow folks to use restroom and adjust equipment.) No one else needed more miles than assigned, so I set out to run ad hoc miles on my own. I found roads that were clear enough and runnable, until fairly late when I needed to add distance and ran part of the assigned route in reverse. About 16.5 miles in, I began to feel some intestinal distress, so I quit looking for ways to add a couple more miles and just took a pretty direct route back to base. Ended up with 18.63 miles. I had wanted 20, but given the amount of loose snow, packed snow, and slush I ran on I figure I worked as hard as I would have for a 20 mile run on good surfaces. And I feel a lot better having got a real long run in, rather than letting a race schedule give me a cut up mileage day with a race in the middle. That's probably just psychological, but there you have it.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY)
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Virginia Beach, VA)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)