February 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Way to go on your new HM PR!!!

--

As others have mentioned, the temperature has been so freakin' warm; I went out for a quick 5-miler at 11pm and it was still in the upper 70s.

03 - 2.24 miles
    04 - 9.30
    06 - 11.67
    07 - 7.25
    08 - 12.43
    09 - 7.61
    10 - 16.13
    11 - 5.60

Total: 72.23 / 125
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Addendum: My car is once again in the shop. Took it in last week Sunday when the check engine light came on while driving, and also the car felt like it was downshifting. They kept the car for three days, I had to get a rental, and they couldn't find the problem. They wound up just cleaning out the fuel system and hoping that fixed the problem. Well, it didn't. I was driving again last night and the same thing happened, the car felt like it downshifted for like 30 seconds and the check engine light came back on. Sooo... this time I took it to my parents' mechanic. He won't be able to get to it until Monday, but luckily this place has loaner cars, so for the weekend I am driving a Honda Odyssey minivan. LOL! This thing is huge compared to what I drive.

So, weekend #2 of car trouble. At the very least, it's been interesting having different cars to drive in the meantime.

@RespectTheKitty My car has been doing something similar since December. If you take it to an Autozone with the check engine light on, they can hook it up to the machine and see what codes it's throwing. They'll do that for free, so it's totally worthwhile. In my case, the code comes back as a bad Transmission Speed Sensor. When the engine goes ker-chunk and the engine light comes on, it's falling out of overdrive. I've been turning off the overdrive, because it's the ker-chunk from the engine that really gets to me. The mechanic down the street from my house doesn't really do transmission work, but he'll replace the part if I bring it to him, with the caveat that it might not fix the problem. I've been procrastinating for no real reason - I know that doing nothing will definitely not fix the problem. Replacing the $30 part MAY fix it. Meanwhile, every few days, the check engine light clears itself, and I forget to drive with the overdrive off, and it goes ker-chunk again. Today might be the day to order the part!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I think you're the only person on here who can make me feel wimpy about staying indoors when it's -20F outside.....LOL.....but you're WAY farther north than I am.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Ughhhhh, I really really really need to get some trail shoes, or running yaktrax, or make screw shoes, or something! It's precipitating today, started out as sleet, and is now a sleety, wet snow, so it looks like I'm gonna be doing 9 miles on the dreadmill. Blahhhh. I'd have zero problems running in the precipitation, and it's certainly warm enough, around 29F, but I am just so paranoid about slipping and getting an injury.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    2/1- 8.1
    2/2- REST
    2/3- 4.23
    2/4- 14.11
    2/5- 3.16
    2/6- 6.16
    2/7- REST
    2/8- 8.09
    2/9- REST
    2/10- 4.04
    2.11- 14.01
    2/12- 3.04

Total: 64.93

Monthly goals:
    Mileage goal: 150
    Real Goal: Stay healthy enough to get into the swing of real marathon training.

Today's notes: Ugh. I never thought 3 miles could be so hard. 21mph head and/or cross winds for the whole run. Ran the first 2 with Mom, and then another mile on my own to complete the assignment for today. Legs still trashed from yesterday, and I have 3 more days of running coming up, as tomorrow starts my first string of 6 running day weeks.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Unless there is someone from Alaska in this group I think I win the Northern Exposure Award.

Nothing hurts this morning after yesterdays Fun, so I plan on getting out for a dash today - with no crash's - on a different route that some runners were on yesterday and they reported that it was good. +5C this morning. A mini-mid winter heat wave.

@BeeerRunner Just put some Black polish on your other toenails and then you can work on a Sandal Tan.
    @RespectTheKitty I hope your parents mechanic can fix the car issue. Nothing worse than an un-reliable vehicle.
    @Orphia HM around the lake sounds fantastic. I am guessing this was a personal run on an open road/trail.

Hoping to go to this Nova Scotia HM in June. Its on the opposite side of the country from me. I am in North Western Canada and this is on the Eastern Seaboard.
    Then there is this one also out East ( next year :| ) - which is a Cross the Border HM. Not sure if it will survive the new Trump policies. Not sure if I will survive the Temperature and Humidity.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Then there is this one also out East ( next year :| ) - which is a Cross the Border HM. Not sure if it will survive the new Trump policies. Not sure if I will survive the Temperature and Humidity.

I'm doing the Bay of Fundy HM this year! Already registered! My aunt and uncle actually live in the Whiting/Lubec area of Maine and own a couple small cottages that they rent, so I'm flying up there with my grandma and will stay in one of the little cottages. I'm really excited for this race, just seems like it has a really fun small-town, kooky vibe. Plus, it was pretty awesome signing up for a race where it needed my passport information! It's supposed to be a hilly course as well, so I need to make sure I do a lot of my training on hilly routes near me, lol. I'll let you know how it is!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Goal: 100k

2/2: 3.1k easy, incline
    2/4: 1.2k -abandoned
    2/7: 1.5k -run/walk adductor testing, pain slightly
    2/8: 2k -easy run, so easy a lvl 1 zombie could catch me. Adductor behaved better.
    2/9: 1.5k -warmup for strength training-improvement
    2/10: 6k -easy, testing adductor went good
    2/12: 6.5k -easy

21.8/100k

Stay free of injuries!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Just finished my first 20 miler of the season. It was a bit of a struggle. I decided to listen to my body yesterday and took the day off from running. My hubby and I watched the movie "Captain Fantastic" (good flick) last night and I foam rolled and stretched through the whole thing. I was still worried about the leg this morning when we started off because it was already sore. At the start, I was pretty convinced that I would not make it through 20 miles. It started loosening up a bit in the middle of the run and I kept on going, but the last several miles were a bit rough.

I am still trying to figure out how to handle this thing. Obviously, it's not super serious situation because I was able to do the 20 mile run and still had negative splits (sped up a bit on the last 5 miles when I was solo, not intentionally, but because that was where it felt best to run). When I had the stress fracture in my foot, running was simply not possible, although I am trying not to compare the two. I am considering contacting a PT. For those of you that have, how do they actually determine what you have going on? I mean, if it's just based off of me saying it hurts, then well, what's the point?

In my experience, the PT finds things that I didn't know even hurt. They understand how each link of the chain works together, why it hurts and what is happening with it. I think pts are more valuable than my doc's.

So, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot and see what they can do for you.

How do they determine? Mostly feel around, Check tender points and range of motion, flexibility and strength too. When you do "A", it hurts and how it hurts can help them determine the cause. Good one can just touch an area and feel whats going on. I've had one or two that just didn't care if something hurt outside of what the doc sent me for. Good ones will address all of it. If they don't, might keep looking if you feel it also needs attention.

@lporter229 I found exactly what @elise4270 says here. Moving, touching and talking to you. At good PT is like gold!

I was supposed to run a 5K yesterday that Skip was volunteering at, I went out at 5:30 to run up the street and the pain was so bad I couldn't. The pain feels like it's in the bone where my legs goes into my hip.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Bay of Fundy HM this year! Already registered! // I'm really excited for this race, just seems like it has a really fun small-town, kooky vibe. Plus, it was pretty awesome signing up for a race where it needed my passport information! It's supposed to be a hilly course as well, so I need to make sure I do a lot of my training on hilly routes near me, lol. I'll let you know how it is!

@KatieJane83 Looking forward to your report. Needing a passport to register is one of the things that makes it so unique.

As a Canadian we celebrate our 150th Birthday this year.
    If you are interested ( any MFP MRC Members) I just stumbled on this the Epic Canadian. 3 Days - 1-4 race events, up to 5 medals.
    @Orphia it looks like they are setting up a virtual race so you could do it with your local Australian Friends and collect some Canadian Bling. 2016 Epic Canadian HM Results from last year. I will be trying to get some of our local running clubs together online for a semi-organized event or a Northern Alberta Virtual Group.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Also, Jeff Galloway will be talking at the expo for the half marathon I was thinking about running in May (Buffalo Marathon).

Your pictures remind me of some of the areas I cycle.

I'm way too lazy to commit to getting up early enough to run the Buffalo marathon/half marathon (6:30 am start). I am eyeing the Niagara International though (starts in Buffalo, ~1 mile away from my place) if I get to the point where I think I can do a marathon.

I think Buffalo started at 7 when I ran it in 2015. It's a good course for a first marathon in that there are no major hills; but I didn't know the area, so it was mentally hard from about 21 miles one when it constantly looked like I should be turning that last corner to go down the hill Any Time Now. Of course, that corner doesn't happen till mile 25!

Niagara Falls International is on my wish list, if I manage to survive my next marathon without injury and want to keep running marathons. Right now, I've run races in 5 states; Niagara Falls would add a Canadian province to the list and let me call myself an international marathon runner.

@ritzvin @MobyCarp The race does start at 6:30am this year but to me there's not too much of a difference between 6:30 or 7am. If I'm going to have to be up early for a race anyway, I'd rather it be earlier than later...especially when it's the time of year where it's starting to get hot out. I also love it when I'm done and it's only 8 or 9am. I also ran the marathon in 2015 and I can't remember the start time but I do remember it was a really nice day. And, yes, I do remember thinking the same thing about the end! I also would like to run the Niagara International Marathon sometime, but it won't be this year because it's the same day as the Columbus Marathon.

@katharmonic Very pretty snow trail pictures!

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for asking! Just some light jogging for now, but it's a start!

@ddmom0811 Wow, so sorry to hear about your cyclist friend as well as the other people you know in the hospital! Hope they all recover well!

2/1: 2.2 miles walk, 6.3 miles bike
    2/2: Rest/PT
    2/3: 45 mins elliptical
    2/4: 10 miles bike
    2/5: 67 mins elliptical
    2/6: 9 miles bike
    2/7: 40 mins elliptical
    2/8: Rest
    2/9: 1.4 miles walk, 30 mins elliptical
    2/10: PT, 9.8 miles bike
    2/11: 1.9 miles walk/jog
    2/12: Rest

TOTAL: 9/22 workout days

I got my first jogging interval session in and it felt great! It was an unseasonably warm (50F) and sunny day here in central Ohio so my plan was to drive to my gym, get my jog/walk in on the paved path that starts/ends behind the school next door, and then finish up with an elliptical session. The jog/walk felt great and I didn't experience any pain, though I realized when I was looking back at my jogging splits that I was going faster than I probably should have been. My PT didn't mention anything about pace but did specify "jog" not "run", so I was aiming go about 11-12 min/mile but all of my intervals were under 11 min/mile. At the end, I got in just under 2 miles (1.94 miles) in 26 minutes. I'm going to have to play around with the display on my watch too as I only had my new watch for about a week before I had to stop running, so I've only actually used it on a handful of runs. This was the first time I used the interval setting.

The only negative thing that came out of my jog/walk yesterday was that at the very end I fell and twisted my ankle. I was walking at the end of my cool down and I was so focused on stopping my watch right at 26 minutes that I stepped on the edge of the asphalt where it meets the grass and fell. The asphalt was a little higher than the grass and I rolled my ankle on my way down. I was not happy with myself, not to mention that I fell in front of a parking lot full of people. Needless to say, I didn't get in the elliptical session. Luckily, my ankle didn't really swell up too much and it initially hurt a lot to walk on it but it's feeling much better now. I had to work a few hours last night, which I was nervous about because I had to be on my feet and I didn't think that was the best thing to heal my ankle. My ankle actually felt better throughout the night, though that could have been the tylenol helping too. It's feeling better today, but today will be a rest day other than some light PT exercises that don't require extra stress on that ankle. If it continues to feel better, I may try some light cardio tomorrow but I'll play things by ear and take extra time off if needed.
  • KatieJane83
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I'm doing the Bay of Fundy HM this year! Already registered! // I'm really excited for this race, just seems like it has a really fun small-town, kooky vibe. Plus, it was pretty awesome signing up for a race where it needed my passport information! It's supposed to be a hilly course as well, so I need to make sure I do a lot of my training on hilly routes near me, lol. I'll let you know how it is!

@KatieJane83 Looking forward to your report. Needing a passport to register is one of the things that makes it so unique.

As a Canadian we celebrate our 150th Birthday this year.
    If you are interested ( any MFP MRC Members) I just stumbled on this the Epic Canadian. 3 Days - 1-4 race events, up to 5 medals.
    @Orphia it looks like they are setting up a virtual race so you could do it with your local Australian Friends and collect some Canadian Bling. 2016 Epic Canadian HM Results from last year. I will be trying to get some of our local running clubs together online for a semi-organized event or a Northern Alberta Virtual Group.

Oh that looks awesome! Would make a great destination running trip! Although boy do plane tickets look pricey from NYC to YHZ. But I'd like to be an honorary 'epic Canadian', lol. And it would be fun to go for a Mini Moose or Bull Moose!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Feb 01     6.5T       6.5
    Feb 02     4.7T      11.2
    Feb 04     5.6       16.8
    Feb 05     6.5       23.3
    Feb 06     5.1       28.4
    Feb 09     5.6       34.0
    Feb 11     6.8T      40.8
    Feb 12     6.8T      47.6

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 Actually, my sister and me might visit Canada this year because of the 150th birthday! We wanted to go for a while, bit it's quite a long flight. And we won't be able to see a fraction of the country - Canada is really big :wink: Nothing is decided yet (we both have to check if we can get a vacation at the same time), but we might go to Newfoundland and/or Labrador in June. Unfortunately a little too early for the Epic Canada event.

@MobyCarp Thanks for your answer on the interval paces! It's really interesting that your feelings agree on the second with the Jack Daniels calculator. And your remark von road times vs track times cheered me up. I usually manage to hit my goal time for the intervals, but one the last one or two it's often a struggle. Maybe I should look for a track and see if it would be a little easier. :smile:
    The photo from your club run looks like you have a really fun group!

@ddmom0811 That's so scary about all the people you know that had to go to hospital. I hope they all recover well!

@RespectTheKitty Uh, car trouble sucks. I don't know what's worse - if they can't find the problem, or if they find a problem and it would cost more than the car is worth to fix it... I hope the other mechanic can fix it!

@Elise4270 I love the photo with the deer!
    About the HM: A 10k in 11 weeks might be "wiser", but if you want to have a more challenging goal to train for, why not go for it! Do they have a cutoff time? If not, you can always walk as much as necessary, if you aren't obsessing about breaking your last PR. Or you could try a Galloway run-walk method, that might be less stressful for your body as a comeback. In any case, I'm pretty sure you earn a medal and cake for a 2:40 finish too :smiley:

--

I ordered a new pair of shoes and got them yesterday. I didn't really *need* new shoes, but I got a really great deal on a pair of Newton Gravity V. Or maybe not such a good deal after all - since these are without a doubt the most uncomfortable running shoes I've ever worn!!

Maybe I should have researched the shoes more before buying - I only checked that they are light, neutral and low-drop. I didn't realise they have "platform lugs". Probably because I never even considered that someone might put a row of 4-5mm high lugs in a line across the ball of the foot when the rest of the sole is perfectly flat. It's apparently supposed to guide you to a more natural running form, but it just drove me insane. I usually have a midfoot strike, and I happened to land on the back edge of that stupid platform with each step, which felt just like stepping on a rock every time I put my foot down. The only ways to avoid that where either landing on my heel so that I could "roll" forward over that platform, or run on the tips of my toes and make sure the platform never touched the ground. Neither of which I'm accustomed to, and soon everything in my legs and feet was protesting.
    I cut my run much shorter than I liked (~5km instead of 11km), and it still took me a good deal of streching afterwards until I got the tension out of the muscles. I thought about going for another run in better shoes, but in the end I just hopped on the bike instead. I've bought probably 10 pair of shoes over the internet in the past few years, and these are the first that didn't work out at all. I guess it had to happen sooner or later...

4df697cc6tg8.jpg
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 2 more weeks until the marathon, then I'm getting a much needed pedicure. I kind of want to see how bad my toenails get. Lol! I can only imagine the look of horror when the lucky person who will give me that pedi sees my feet! Ha ha!!

My brother is Canadian and a runner. I'm hoping we can do a race sometime together one day. The one by Niagara Falls sounds pretty cool.

@skippygirlsmom Sorry to hear about your hip. Hope you figure out what's going on.

@Elise4270 Unless there's a big reason to do the HM, such as you're already registered or going with a friend or something, I'd skip it and maybe do something shorter to work your way back up. I know when I race, I wanna go all out as fast as I can. There have been times where I already registered for a race and knew I might have to reduce the intensity. I think you'll enjoy your 1st HM post injury more if you have the time to properly train.

You know yourself and your situation best so if you're ok with not getting a PR and maybe doing a run walk combo, I'm sure you can do that. However, you also don't want to re injure yourself by pushing your body too hard and too fast to get ready.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Just finished my first 20 miler of the season. It was a bit of a struggle. I decided to listen to my body yesterday and took the day off from running. My hubby and I watched the movie "Captain Fantastic" (good flick) last night and I foam rolled and stretched through the whole thing. I was still worried about the leg this morning when we started off because it was already sore. At the start, I was pretty convinced that I would not make it through 20 miles. It started loosening up a bit in the middle of the run and I kept on going, but the last several miles were a bit rough.

I am still trying to figure out how to handle this thing. Obviously, it's not super serious situation because I was able to do the 20 mile run and still had negative splits (sped up a bit on the last 5 miles when I was solo, not intentionally, but because that was where it felt best to run). When I had the stress fracture in my foot, running was simply not possible, although I am trying not to compare the two. I am considering contacting a PT. For those of you that have, how do they actually determine what you have going on? I mean, if it's just based off of me saying it hurts, then well, what's the point?

In my experience, the PT finds things that I didn't know even hurt. They understand how each link of the chain works together, why it hurts and what is happening with it. I think pts are more valuable than my doc's.

So, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot and see what they can do for you.

How do they determine? Mostly feel around, Check tender points and range of motion, flexibility and strength too. When you do "A", it hurts and how it hurts can help them determine the cause. Good one can just touch an area and feel whats going on. I've had one or two that just didn't care if something hurt outside of what the doc sent me for. Good ones will address all of it. If they don't, might keep looking if you feel it also needs attention.

I was supposed to run a 5K yesterday that Skip was volunteering at, I went out at 5:30 to run up the street and the pain was so bad I couldn't. The pain feels like it's in the bone where my legs goes into my hip.

You have an appointment with a hip specialist? You have a PT visit lined up, right? I'd be concerned with a labrum tear. Or high hamstring tendonosis maybe. Oh or trochanter bursitis! Ouch! I've got that, but I think it was removed.

Best of luck to you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
  • Elise4270
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @BEERRUNNER @_nikkiwolf_ Ya I think I'll chalk 2017 up to rebuilding and see how 2018 feels for hm training.

The hip is grumpy still. I should name it..... Hmmm...

Butt-trice? Hipp-annie? Trocha-garete?

Alex had a stuffed animal that was some kinda bUg. He called it bug-a-reia. Sounded too much like margarita and diarrhea for my liking. But creative from a little guy. (I'm "working" today, so I get a pass on being stupid).

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @orphia - wow a PR when you were alone!? That's amazing to me!
    @elise4270 - yikes you are sounding like a doctor with all those words. I don't know most of those words! Except hamstring, lol.

@skippygirlsmom - hope you get good news. :disappointed:

@_nikkiwolf_ sorry about the shoes not working out. Love their color!

Did a 53 mile very hilly bike ride today. It was very difficult.
    One friend out of hospital - other two remain.

2/1 - strength training
    2/2 - 4.30 miles
    2/3 - rest day(5)
    2/4 - cycling 34 miles
    2/5 - Daytona HM - 2:22.01
    2/6 - Strength training
    2/7 - 3.5 miles
    2/8 - Strength training + 3.1 miles with running group
    2/9 - rest day (6)
    2/10 - 4.1 miles
    2/11 - 44 miles biking
    2/12 - 53 miles biking

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • Elise4270
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

@elise4270 - yikes you are sounding like a doctor with all those words. I don't know most of those words! Except hamstring, lol.

*Sigh* yes I wish I didn't know those words. :s