Over 60 success stories please

manderson27
manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
A few years ago I joined MFP and lost over 30 pounds. I was really pleased and my body was changing getting stronger and leaner. Then health issues struck and I have put a lot of that weight back on. Now my issues are under control and I am starting again with my calorie control to lose weight and with the blessing of my physio I can now get back to lifting/excercise.

I would love to hear your over 60 sucess stories and, if you are happy to show and tell, see pictures of how your body changed. It would help me so much to see what it is possible to achieve at my age. Is it possible to reveal my old abs? I am sure they are under there somewhere.

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• manderson27
    @ scjl132 Thanks for your response. 82 pounds is very impressive you must be really proud of your progress. I think maybe lifting heavy would help you to pull in the saggy bits. My physio tells me to think of my muscles as spandex. The more you work them the tighter they pull you in.

Last time I lost the weight quite quickly from diet and my body shape changed from the lifting as well so I made really good progress and felt really strong This time I am struggling with it all a bit.

I think the idea is if you can strengthen the muscles around your knees, hips and core then it helps to keep the joints more stable and therefore you have less pain and inflamation.

Good luck to you, lets get those weights lifted.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    The leg execises have indeed helped my knee pain! Keep at it one day at a time.
  • manderson27
    Oh dear. Am I to assume from this that no one on here over 60 has had any success. :'(
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Well, so far there are 3 of us:)
  • lavender51
    lavender51 Posts: 41 Member
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

Just read this. It's a great thread all about older women being successful :)

I found it very inspiring!
  • DeweyAndreas
    DeweyAndreas Posts: 6 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Does "thereabouts" count?

I started losing weight in April 2015 at age 59, and joined MFP that July, turning 60 that November. I hit goal in January/February 2016.

At 5'5", SW 183, CW in the 120s - exactly where depends on the day. ;) I'm now just starting into my second year of weight maintenance, at age 61. More details (background, health improvements, etc.) on my profile page.

This is probably the best before and after:
    uvemd8ghbdi3.jpg

• DeweyAndreas
    DeweyAndreas Posts: 6 Member

I started losing weight in April 2015 at age 59, and joined MFP that July, turning 60 that November. I hit goal in January/February 2016.

At 5'5", SW 183, CW in the 120s - exactly where depends on the day. ;) I'm now just starting into my second year of weight maintenance, at age 61. More details (background, health improvements, etc.) on my profile page.

uvemd8ghbdi3.jpg

Great job! At 64 I hope to achieve similar results. The before and after is really motivating!
  • manderson27
    lavender51 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm on the way to 60 :)

At 57 I lost four stone and felt fantastic. Mainly achieved through logging all my food intake on MFP and walking.

I'm 58 now and just getting back into weight loss and fitness, determined to get the rest of my weight off and get physically fit.

I've been reading about the benefits of lifting and have decided to have a go.

I've also read articles about a female runner in her 80s and a yoga teacher in her 80s.

Good luck and hope you get some over 60s people sharing their successes. I'm sure there will be lots of them :)
    lavender51 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm on the way to 60 :)

At 57 I lost four stone and felt fantastic. Mainly achieved through logging all my food intake on MFP and walking.

I'm 58 now and just getting back into weight loss and fitness, determined to get the rest of my weight off and get physically fit.

I've been reading about the benefits of lifting and have decided to have a go.

I've also read articles about a female runner in her 80s and a yoga teacher in her 80s.

Good luck and hope you get some over 60s people sharing their successes. I'm sure there will be lots of them :)

Thanks for responding. That is fantastic. I used to lift until I had my health issues hoping to get back to it as it is awesome. You should certainly give it a go.
  • manderson27
    Axeident wrote: »
    I'm 64 & had pretty much thrown in the towel. About 5 yrs ago had bad bout of health (chemo etc.) & got in a funk after that, not exactly depressed but just a "what the heck does it matter" attitude about my eating & appearance.

For some reason, I snapped out of it last fall & got enrolled in a nutrition class at our local university hospital. I had wondered for some time if, at my age, I could really make the progress that I wanted - what with a slower metabolism & various other obstacles (bad knee, that sort of thing.)

I enjoyed the class -- the info & support. Even though I mostly knew the material presented, it was good to get a refresher & to have the structure to apply it.

I signed up for a second session -- and have lost about 25 pounds since last September. I plan to lose 15 more & I feel as if I can do it. My food plan is not restrictive & I certainly do not feel as if I'm on a "diet." Just mindful eating & healthy choices.

Another plus is my knee is lots better with that weight reduction & my overall energy & mental state is much improved - so I hope that keeps me on the path!

What were your keys to success the last time you lost 30 & what is your plan now? Will the same methods work or will you explore other approaches?
    I hope this thread takes off, too -- it would be helpful. : )

Thanks for your response. You are right about getting a refresher being very useful, we all need to get back to basics sometimes.

Last time I lost the weight I logged religiously and was exercising 3 times a week. Mostly lifting heavy with some cardio and aqua aerobics. I felt amazing then I got joint issues from arthritis and it floored me for a while. Like you said I just thought what's the point.

I am trying now to get back that feeling of "I can do this" You have helped a lot thank you.
  • manderson27

uvemd8ghbdi3.jpg

You look fabulous thank you so much for posting your pics. Really helped me to see the possibilities. I don't want to be dragging this weight around any more.
  • manderson27
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

Thanks for finding this for me Laceybirds didn't find this when I searched. Needed wider parameters I guess. Very inspiring.
  • manderson27
    Just wanted to share this link with all my over 60 year old friends and anyone else who is worried they can't get fit in middle age. This lady is amazing and started at the age of 57 !!!!

http://ernestineshepherd.net/?page_id=2
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm 58
    Battled with my weight ALL My life. Been as heavy as 18 stone and never been much less than 12. But I am muscular!

Never quite nailed maintenance- that is the main thing I want to do different this time. I had advanced bowel cancer 10 years ago. That led to 5/6 years of many different treatments but I tried to use it as a springboard for greater health and researched about anti-cancer lifestyles. I pretty much manage that and have recently been given the all clear by my oncologist. Yay.

However, even "healthy" eating needs calorie control! I had crept back up to nearly 15 stone this January :s

Currently looking like this. fb5lysrcg0hp.jpg

I am a gym bunny and cycle a lot.
    Those women in their 80s with great arms are really inspiring me.

We can do this. It's not rocket science and there are lots of health benefits to good nutrition.

Height 5ft 7
    SW 14st 11lbs
    CW. 13st 3lb (22lb off in 12 weeks)
    GW. 11st something.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Yes, totally possible! Here's my story and since I posted this I've added a 3x/week strength training program (should have done it all along!) and am seeing results. As far as the old abs...they are there, but the loose skin keeps them somewhat hidden. I do have ribs, collar, hip and cheek bones I'd forgotten existed.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10497297/one-year-50-pounds-gone#latest
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!