Replies

• emmacriswell
    Options
    1) Sign up for anouther race
    2) Set a new running goal
    3) Start running with a friend
    4) Try trail running
    5) Try a event race like a mud run or warrior dash

I have ran 5 marathons and 3 half marathons in the last 4 years and was getting tired of the long miles. Now I try to only run 20 miles a week, (down from 40 to 50) and when I run its mostly speed work. It has help me get faster and makes me not hate the amount of time I spend running. Plus it gives me time to get stronger so I can be a better runner.

What is your speed work like?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    As others have said, maybe sign up for another race...maybe something different like an obstacle course/mud run or something.

I'd also recommend having a "season" where you're really running and training hard and racing...maybe plan for 3-4 races or more if you're doing shorter distances, etc...then back off for the off-season and do something else to help maintain your aerobic base but also let your body recover and rest.

I'd also suggest that you also incorporate some resistance and weight training...it will help you run faster and further. I lift during my "season" as well as off-season, but it's a different kind of load and different routines...off-season is where I really work on building up my strength. It makes a huge difference in endurance performance.