Best foods to speed up metabolism?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Green tea. It has zero calories, which is less than a coffee with milk. Increases your energy without making you jittery and there is research to prove it does increase metabolism a little bit.
    Some scholarly articles for ya'll.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/6/1040.long/-

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/138/9/1677.short

Love me some green tea!

You have to drink an unholy amount of green tea to have any affect on metabolism...

I drink about ten cups a day, each cup made with double tea bags. Super strong. It is an unholy amount, I know. I even drink the caffeine free stuff and pass it off as flavored water for hydration. Basically except for one cup of coffee in the morning, I drink green tea all day. I hate the taste of water, but tea is the bomb for me. I think it burns maybe fifty calories a day extra, maybe one hundred at the level I drink it at. Still, it does burn calories because there is a slight raise in your metabolic rate. Also helps you with blood sugar (read the above studies) which will help you with losing weight.

BTW, I have been drinking this amount of green tea since I developed some insulin resistance due to PCOS and didn't like the side effects of the metformin.

I prefer it to metformin, and I don't need to take the metformin if I drink it. So there is that.

There is no miracle cure. But some things will raise your metabolism, just a little bit, in my case the amount I drink it is between 1-3%. Not alot, but something.

So, while there is nothing that will burn your calories by just eating it, there are studies that prove green tea will raise your metabolism.

Please read the studies before arguing further. And I also drink caffeine free, because caffeine free tea is just fancy water. Especially since I live in Canada....brrr!

Contrary to what you may think, a lot of people have been here for awhile...we've been there and done that and have the t-shirt...we've been through the woo ourselves and ultimately most of us have done quite a bit of research on a variety of things like this. Green tea does not appreciably speed up metabolism...it just doesn't. Green tea does have some solid nutritional value, but when you get beyond that aspect of things, it's just a bunch of woo.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It's not the caffeine only. There are polyphenols and Epigallocatechin gallate which cause the metabolic rise. It's also chock full of antioxidants. If you are an excessive tea drinker you can burn an extra 50-100 calories a day. It's not a lot but it's something. And he asked what to consume that would burn calories...

Please read the actual articles which are studies with proper citation before you argue with me...please. :smile:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/11/10/432727282/will-drinking-green-tea-boost-your-metabolism-no-so-fast

I don't think anyone is saying that there are not benefits to drinking green tea, but I really don't believe it's correct to say that it truly boosts metabolism. That simply has not been proven, at least not yet.