Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    You had nothing factually related to THIS GMO discussion
    You are wrong again. I posted the following link in previous post:
    http://nas-sites.org/ge-crops/

posted a bunch of unrelated charts to try to make me think I should not hold my opinion.
    Let's review:

You made the following baseless assertion, which, by the way, you haven't provided any evidence for.
    My opinion is that it can't be coincidental that food allergies have risen sharply since the introduction of GMO products, the same for mental illness,and gastrointestinal problems

Then @dnarules replied with this:
    It absolutely can be coincidental. There are a number of thing that have changed over this time period.

To which you replied:
    Not bloody likely

Then I posted graphs that showed you that you were wrong.

The point being that just because 2 things are coorelated doesn't mean that one causes the other. Obviously you missed the point.
    The fact is there is NO solid proof on GMO products either way.
    Yes there is, the link I posted above says they are safe. But you would have to be willing to read it.

Here's 1700 studies showing they are safe:
    http://genera.biofortified.org/viewall.php

Follow the money. Who paid who for a "safe" conclusion in a "study". You don't have to allow other people's opinions or choices keep you up at night. Though I have not paid anyone to do a study on that I'm sure it won't actually hurt you to live and let live. Call me crazy.

I also wonder who has this kind if time? I mean for all these in depth quotes, re-quotes, pie charts, graphs, essays, and extensive blah. blah, blah. I read nothing more than the last line if what you laid out up there. I am not interested in a back and forth with you. So don't expect anything further from me. Arguing with random internet strangers just isn't something I choose to waste my energy on. If you are looking to convince someone you have the wrong gal. I'm not budging until I see real proof from a reputable source who stands to gain nothing from a study and who wasn't paid by someone in the GMO market to produce a study with favorable results.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

posted a bunch of unrelated charts to try to make me think I should not hold my opinion.
    Let's review:

You made the following baseless assertion, which, by the way, you haven't provided any evidence for.
    My opinion is that it can't be coincidental that food allergies have risen sharply since the introduction of GMO products, the same for mental illness,and gastrointestinal problems

It absolutely can be coincidental. There are a number of thing that have changed over this time period.

To which you replied:
    Not bloody likely

The point being that just because 2 things are coorelated doesn't mean that one causes the other. Obviously you missed the point.
    Yes there is, the link I posted above says they are safe. But you would have to be willing to read it.

Follow the money. Who paid who for a "safe" conclusion in a "study". You don't have to allow other people's opinions or choices keep you up at night. Though I have not paid anyone to do a study on that I'm sure it won't actually hurt you to live and let live. Call me crazy.

I also wonder who has this kind if time? I mean for all these in depth quotes, re-quotes, pie charts, graphs, essays, and extensive blah. blah, blah. I read nothing more than the last line if what you laid out up there. I am not interested in a back and forth with you. So don't expect anything further from me. Arguing with random internet strangers just isn't something I choose to waste my energy on. If you are looking to convince someone you have the wrong gal. I'm not budging until I see real proof from a reputable source who stands to gain nothing from a study and who wasn't paid by someone in the GMO market to produce a study with favorable results.

You're in the debate forum. This is how debates operate.

I am not obligated to debate with anyone other than the OP. Anyone who thinks I have to justify my opinion because they don't like the way I arrive at that opinion is mistaken. I suppose how the forum works is determined by each person who comments. I don't give a rip about what others think or what they eat.

I will add, this showed up on MY page in the little box in the top right as to what topics are current in the forums, it does not tell what part of the forum it is in and I am sure I am not the only one who has ever commented in a forum they did specifically realize. That aside, I stand by my original comment. No credible proof has been brought out and it won't be because it does not exist.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    I heard farmers say animals would not eat the GMO feed .
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    finny11122 wrote: »

I find this very hard to believe considering that much of the corn going into animal feed is GMO I believe. Also, I saw a video where a science teacher put out GMO and non-GMO corn, and the squirrels ate both equally. I've seen these statements made before, but have not seen anything to back them up. I would be interested if anyone has a study showing this.

It came straight from the horses mouth
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Let's review:

To which you replied:
    Not bloody likely

You're in the debate forum. This is how debates operate.
    No credible proof has been brought out and it won't be because it does not exist.

This can go both ways though. What credible proof exists that non GMO food is 100% safe to eat?

Nothing that is 100% safe, there will always be some variable that screws it up. This is true whether it's naturally derived or done in a lab.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am not interested in a back and forth with you. So don't expect anything further from me. Arguing with random internet strangers just isn't something I choose to waste my energy on.

. . . this is the debate section. If you aren't interested in a back and forth with someone who holds a different opinion, what are you looking for?

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

If a farmer told you to jump off a bridge, would you? And subsequently, did you verify with the farmer that the animals had no other subsequent ailments at the time their feed was changed to rule out variables for not eating the feed?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If a farmer told you to jump off a bridge, would you? And subsequently, did you verify with the farmer that the animals had no other subsequent ailments at the time their feed was changed to rule out variables for not eating the feed?

Also did they not eat it at all or did they eat it and the farmer just felt like they ate less.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    In reality we can't know if they are safe.You're dealing with genes. It can take decades before any sideffects are shown.Even if the gene you're introducing is safe, you don't know how it will affect all other genes in the area.Don't forget, scientists keep linking genes effects all the time.Genes that for example, you wouldn't have thought played a part in obesity, now we know that they react with others and they do play a part.
    In Europe, we are resisting GMO's and they are going through extreme safety controls.The supermarkets as far as i know don't sell food with GMO's and if they were, it should be very visibly shown on the label.
    It's a big risk introducing them to the environment. There are way too many risks in my opinion.

On the other hand, i can see how it could help people in poor countries deal with malnutrition problems.It could help with deforestation and available land, as you can get bigger yields per square/meter.
    Only time will tell if they're trully safe.
  • fitforeternity493
    fitforeternity493 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    GMO's are absolutely dangerous. There have been several scientific studies on animals that indicate health risks associated with GMO's such as infertility, accelerated aging, immune problems and the list goes on and on. That and the fact that there are over 125 toxic chemicals in the majority of foods we eat. Eat organic and cut out the processed food is my advice to anyone.