Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ktrulez wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    @sybillabryson lol, I will definitely going to a lot of it back during my vacation. Hopefully it won't set me back too much and will look to stay active while travelling. Will return back to the grind when I come back, will update this thread during my 8 week journey and will provide a new plan of attack when I return :smile:

What is the purpose of losing muscle mass along with fat prior to a vacation and then gaining it back during your vacation?

I don't get it, I really don't.

Why not just set some reasonable weight loss goals and then eat at maintenance during your vacation?

@SLLRunner My intention is not to lose muscle mass, far from that. Hence I have a custom macro plan and hitting the weights during my workout as well. I just said I think with this 8 week challenge, losing some muscle would be inevitable.

Why are you trying to lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks? You know you will lose muscle mass and gain the weight back.
  • ktrulez
    ktrulez Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    15 lbs in 8 weeks is OK ... but it does take some effort. I speak from experience. :)

I lost 15 kg in 16 weeks ... and have kept it off for nearly 2 years now.

I just focused on calories, and didn't worry about my macros.

I entered my information, chose sedentary as my activity level, and chose to lose 0.5 kg/week. Then I upped the calories MFP gave me by 50 calories because I didn't want to go quite as low as they suggested. And I ate about half my exercise calories back.

I also stuck to it every single day without fail.

@Machka9 That is awesome, great work, even better that you have kept it off for 2 years!

• ktrulez
    Options
    @sybillabryson lol, I will definitely going to a lot of it back during my vacation. Hopefully it won't set me back too much and will look to stay active while travelling. Will return back to the grind when I come back, will update this thread during my 8 week journey and will provide a new plan of attack when I return :smile:

What is the purpose of losing muscle mass along with fat prior to a vacation and then gaining it back during your vacation?

I don't get it, I really don't.

Why not just set some reasonable weight loss goals and then eat at maintenance during your vacation?

@SLLRunner My intention is not to lose muscle mass, far from that. Hence I have a custom macro plan and hitting the weights during my workout as well. I just said I think with this 8 week challenge, losing some muscle would be inevitable.

Why are you trying to lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks? You know you will lose muscle mass and gain the weight back.

@SLLRunner Want to ultimately lose more than 20 pounds but that is more of a longer term goal. I am far from what from what a normal weight, but what is normal anyways?

8 weeks will allow me to have a better body for my vacation, losing fat and dropping my body fat percentage is what I am after. The challenge is just to help speed that process up and be a consistent food logger, as I am in the gym 5x a week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in 8 weeks is OK ... but it does take some effort. I speak from experience. :)

I entered my information, chose sedentary as my activity level, and chose to lose 0.5 kg/week. Then I upped the calories MFP gave me by 50 calories because I didn't want to go quite as low as they suggested. And I ate about half my exercise calories back.

@Machka9 That is awesome, great work, even better that you have kept it off for 2 years!

Thanks!

Now it probably helps that I've been slender and active most of my life (my weight gain was just a recent anomaly), so my diet adjustment more or less involved returning to my normal way of eating. And for me, I had to lose the weight relatively fast (about 2 lbs/week) in order to keep my motivation up ... if I lose weight really slowly, I just lose interest and start thinking "why bother".

So I may be coming at this from a different perspective.

I would suggest that you don't aim to lose more than 2 lbs/week and I'd also suggest that you make sure you've got a reasonable variety of foods. I also take vitamin and mineral supplements (a multivitamin) just in case my intake is a little low. In addition, I did quite a bit of exercise and as I said, ate about half those calories back.

MFP gave me 1200 cal, I manually upped it to 1250 cal, and then I did anywhere from 300 cal to 1000+ cal of exercise a day (the higher numbers were on weekends) so I was eating 1500+ cal/day. On at least one weekend day I exercise enough for pizza, or fish and chips, or a Zambrero's burrito, or others of my favourite foods. That helps me a lot because I don't feel deprived.

And my Dr has done blood tests at various points along the way ... before, and several times during. Before, there were all kinds of warning signs. Nothing really bad, but heading that way. About 8 weeks in, I was already showing marked improvements, and I passed my most recent blood tests with flying colours. :)
  • ktrulez
    Options

Thanks!

Now it probably helps that I've been slender and active most of my life (my weight gain was just a recent anomaly), so my diet adjustment more or less involved returning to my normal way of eating. And for me, I had to lose the weight relatively fast (about 2 lbs/week) in order to keep my motivation up ... if I lose weight really slowly, I just lose interest and start thinking "why bother".

So I may be coming at this from a different perspective.

I would suggest that you don't aim to lose more than 2 lbs/week and I'd also suggest that you make sure you've got a reasonable variety of foods. I also take vitamin and mineral supplements (a multivitamin) just in case my intake is a little low. In addition, I did quite a bit of exercise and as I said, ate about half those calories back.

MFP gave me 1200 cal, I manually upped it to 1250 cal, and then I did anywhere from 300 cal to 1000+ cal of exercise a day (the higher numbers were on weekends) so I was eating 1500+ cal/day. On at least one weekend day I exercise enough for pizza, or fish and chips, or a Zambrero's burrito, or others of my favourite foods. That helps me a lot because I don't feel deprived.

And my Dr has done blood tests at various points along the way ... before, and several times during. Before, there were all kinds of warning signs. Nothing really bad, but heading that way. About 8 weeks in, I was already showing marked improvements, and I passed my most recent blood tests with flying colours. :)

@Machka9 Thank you sharing your weight loss journey. I came up with a custom caloric goal based on my BMR/TDEE. I have started meal prepping and will continue to do so for the next 8 weeks. I am sure I will have a cheat meal here and there but really want to be consistent with staying in daily deficit.

Keep up the great work!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    @elphie754 Disagree; started this journey last year (Jan) at 208. Today I weigh 193, will look to get into the 17X by the end of the 8 weeks.

Personally at your weight I think you will look horrible losing it that fast. But your mind is made up.. Good luck.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    @elphie754 Disagree; started this journey last year (Jan) at 208. Today I weigh 193, will look to get into the 17X by the end of the 8 weeks.

Personally at your weight I think you will look horrible losing it that fast.

Why would you say that?

• ktrulez
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Personally at your weight I think you will look horrible losing it that fast. But your mind is made up.. Good luck.

@Wetcoaster :worried: hopefully that won't be the case...
  • ktrulez
    Options
    Update of my first weigh in yesterday.

Week 1: 191 down 2 pounds.

Thoughts: Was hoping more like 3-4, but steady wins the race. 53 days to go :smile:

Will be back to update my week 2 weight; weigh ins on Mondays.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you gonna crash diet at least give Mr. McDonald's forums a looksee.
  • Machka9
    Options
    2 lbs is good.

With what you're doing, 3-4 isn't too likely.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I don't really understand the mentality of "gotta lose X pounds before a vacation that i plan to gain some or all of it back on"... Its like running into a wall and then still trying to run without changing directions.. completely pointless.

I've done this...but for competition. Lost 8lbs overnight and gained it back in 2 hours. I can't imagine losing actually fat and doing it though. I'd be sad.
  • ktrulez
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

@bbell1985 lol, definitely not a crash diet, eating cleaner and adding cardio to my workouts is the only thing different.
  • ktrulez
    Options
    2 lbs is good.

With what you're doing, 3-4 isn't too likely.

@Machka9 thanks, at the end of the day its all a number. Will be happy with X amount weight loss during the 8 weeks.
  • bbell1985
    Options

@bbell1985 lol, definitely not a crash diet, eating cleaner and adding cardio to my workouts is the only thing different.

blah blah blah
  • Machka9
    Options

blah blah blah
    I intend on staying under my caloric goal of 2000 a day ....

:lol::lol:

2000 calories a day is hardly a crash diet.

I only wish I could lose weight eating that much every day!!

• bbell1985
    Options

blah blah blah
    I intend on staying under my caloric goal of 2000 a day ....

:lol::lol:

2000 calories a day is hardly a crash diet.

I only wish I could lose weight eating that much every day!!

lol I just saw someone saying he was crash dieting. I am not reading carefully because I'm grumpy on this deficit.

I am...so grumpy.