8 Weeks

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't really understand the mentality of "gotta lose X pounds before a vacation that i plan to gain some or all of it back on"... Its like running into a wall and then still trying to run without changing directions.. completely pointless.

I've done this...but for competition. Lost 8lbs overnight and gained it back in 2 hours. I can't imagine losing actually fat and doing it though. I'd be sad.

lol okay but.. why lose weight to go to a vacation and leave fatter then when you arrived, it just doesnt make any sense, is no one going to see you leaving? are they only going to let you into the resort if you're skinnier? i just dont really get it. I can understand putting on a couple pounds, no ones going to notice that.. but 20 pounds can actually be noticable on certain people.. so to show up 20 pounds lighter and have the mentality of eating to a point that youre going to gain half or most of it back.. just go and come back and then lose weight at a healthy rate if all you plan to do there while 20 pounds lighter is eat yourself fat again.

lol. I dunno. #gainz
  • ktrulez
    ktrulez Posts: 267 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    ktrulez wrote: »
    If you gonna crash diet at least give Mr. McDonald's forums a looksee.

@bbell1985 lol, definitely not a crash diet, eating cleaner and adding cardio to my workouts is the only thing different.

blah blah blah

Didn't know you were quoting a song from Ke$ha. Great song!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If you gonna crash diet at least give Mr. McDonald's forums a looksee.

@bbell1985 lol, definitely not a crash diet, eating cleaner and adding cardio to my workouts is the only thing different.

blah blah blah
    I intend on staying under my caloric goal of 2000 a day ....

:lol::lol:

2000 calories a day is hardly a crash diet.

I only wish I could lose weight eating that much every day!!

lol I just saw someone saying he was crash dieting. I am not reading carefully because I'm grumpy on this deficit.

I am...so grumpy.

Yeah, I hear you ... I'll be heading back into grumpy territory after the long weekend this weekend. Down to about 1300 cal/day.

• ktrulez
    Options
    I don't really understand the mentality of "gotta lose X pounds before a vacation that i plan to gain some or all of it back on"... Its like running into a wall and then still trying to run without changing directions.. completely pointless.

I've done this...but for competition. Lost 8lbs overnight and gained it back in 2 hours. I can't imagine losing actually fat and doing it though. I'd be sad.

lol okay but.. why lose weight to go to a vacation and leave fatter then when you arrived, it just doesnt make any sense, is no one going to see you leaving? are they only going to let you into the resort if you're skinnier? i just dont really get it. I can understand putting on a couple pounds, no ones going to notice that.. but 20 pounds can actually be noticable on certain people.. so to show up 20 pounds lighter and have the mentality of eating to a point that youre going to gain half or most of it back.. just go and come back and then lose weight at a healthy rate if all you plan to do there while 20 pounds lighter is eat yourself fat again.

@Look_Its_Kriss I have been on this journey since last year, I just want to lose a few more pounds quicker to look good for the trip (who doesn't?) and who doesn't gain weight at an all inclusive? Where did I say that I am going to eat it all back, I am just being real that I am going to gain some some of it back during the vacation.
  • ktrulez
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Thoughts: Was hoping more like 3-4, but steady wins the race. 53 days to go :smile:

You have some ludicrously unrealistic and unhealthy expectations there...

@misskarne I would think the first week specifically I would lose the most hence why I made that comment, factoring in water weight.
  • Machka9
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Thoughts: Was hoping more like 3-4, but steady wins the race. 53 days to go :smile:

You have some ludicrously unrealistic and unhealthy expectations there...

@misskarne I would think the first week specifically I would lose the most hence why I made that comment, factoring in water weight.

You're too light to experience that. People who don't have much to lose don't usually go through that.

• ktrulez
    Options
    @sybillabryson lol, I will definitely going to a lot of it back during my vacation. Hopefully it won't set me back too much and will look to stay active while travelling. Will return back to the grind when I come back, will update this thread during my 8 week journey and will provide a new plan of attack when I return :smile:

you said it right there.

@Look_Its_Kriss Yup, when I say a lot, I honestly will not know how much I will gain. Resort won't have wifi so will not be keep track of my log. A lot to me may vary from person to person. Being realistic I could gain 5-7 pounds which is a lot because that is 25%+ of my 8 week goal.

On the side note, to the MFP community that has experience to my question. Eating will not be the reason why I will be over my daily caloric goal, it is the alcoholic beverages. I heard that generally with trips/vacations, you will return to your norm weight in 1-1.5 weeks, any truth to this? How soon have you recovered or regained to your weight prior to vacation?
  • Machka9
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I call what you're doing "maintenance".

To me, maintenance is a process of deliberately losing a bit of weight in advance of going into situations where we know we'll likely gain weight. Planning ahead. It's also going on the diet and off the diet as we deem necessary to adjust our weight for various reasons. Minor adjustments.

You may have had a better reaction if you had posted this in the Maintenance forum. :)

To summarise the details:

You're already reasonably light.
    But your goal is to lose a bit of weight in advance of an all-inclusive holiday.
    You've been working out for a year already, so working out isn't a new thing for you.
    You're eating about 2000 calories per day.

Is that correct?

Personally, I'm about to use a similar technique for several weeks in order to get my weight down a touch in preparation a) for a holiday and b) to make cycling up mountains a bit easier.

Cycled up a mountain this past weekend and figured I either needed a lower gear or to drop a few lbs. :) Dropping a few lbs is easier and cheaper. :grin:
  • Machka9
    Options
    @sybillabryson lol, I will definitely going to a lot of it back during my vacation. Hopefully it won't set me back too much and will look to stay active while travelling. Will return back to the grind when I come back, will update this thread during my 8 week journey and will provide a new plan of attack when I return :smile:

you said it right there.

@Look_Its_Kriss Yup, when I say a lot, I honestly will not know how much I will gain. Resort won't have wifi so will not be keep track of my log. A lot to me may vary from person to person. Being realistic I could gain 5-7 pounds which is a lot because that is 25%+ of my 8 week goal.

On the side note, to the MFP community that has experience to my question. Eating will not be the reason why I will be over my daily caloric goal, it is the alcoholic beverages. I heard that generally with trips/vacations, you will return to your norm weight in 1-1.5 weeks, any truth to this? How soon have you recovered or regained to your weight prior to vacation?

When I started with MFP, my goal was to lose as much weight as I could in 16 weeks, prior to a 3-week holiday in Canada. I lost 15 kg in that time. (I've mentioned that part already. :) )

When I returned from my 3-week holiday in Canada, where I tried to eat as much as I could of all the things I can get in Canada but can't get here in Australia, I had gained ....... a whopping 2 kg.

That's all. :)

However ...

I was really active while I was in Canada ... cycling a 100 mile ride + doing an all-day hike to the top of a mountain + cycling and walking a bunch of a shorter distances. I was active every day but one.

And I discovered that my tastes had changed a bit. In the past I would have had no problem devouring a large bag of dill pickle potato chips ... on that trip, it took me several days to get through the bag, and I ended up throwing the last little bit out. Too salty. In the past I would have easily inhaled a half dozen donuts in a sitting ... on this trip 2 was my max. And I found myself ordering things like salad and steamed veggies with my meals!!

I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with my diet when I returned from the holiday, but I decided to and stuck with it for another 16 weeks during which time I lost those 2 kg and another 10 kg.

So if you don't go too crazy and if you're active, you shouldn't gain too much.

Also note that if there's a flight involved, you'll likely gain water weight. When I stepped on the scale the day after I returned to Australia, I was actually up about 4 kg, but within about 2 days, I had dropped 2 kg of water weight, so my real gain was only 2 kg.
  • Machka9
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lol... yeah sorry... my "care-about-this" meter is on empty, i find the whole endeavor pointless as i said..
    Losing weight so strangers can be impressed or whatever the goal is, is not something i would bother with if i was going on vacation but i guess some people do.. i find your methods though silly.
    but carry on, you're clearly going to.

I don't know about the OP, but for me, losing weight in advance is a mindful way to help keep my weight under control ... also to allow me to do the vacation activities I want to do more easily, like climbing mountains. :)

I don't do weight loss for other people.

• ktrulez
    Options
    I call what you're doing "maintenance".

To me, maintenance is a process of deliberately losing a bit of weight in advance of going into situations where we know we'll likely gain weight. Planning ahead. It's also going on the diet and off the diet as we deem necessary to adjust our weight for various reasons. Minor adjustments.

You may have had a better reaction if you had posted this in the Maintenance forum. :)

To summarise the details:

You're already reasonably light.
    But your goal is to lose a bit of weight in advance of an all-inclusive holiday.
    You've been working out for a year already, so working out isn't a new thing for you.
    You're eating about 2000 calories per day.

Is that correct?

Personally, I'm about to use a similar technique for several weeks in order to get my weight down a touch in preparation a) for a holiday and b) to make cycling up mountains a bit easier.

Cycled up a mountain this past weekend and figured I either needed a lower gear or to drop a few lbs. :) Dropping a few lbs is easier and cheaper. :grin:

@Machka9 the details of your summary is mostly accurate. however i don't believe i am light by any means. The photo of me in my dp is was when I was in the low 180s little to no weights just cardio.

I decided to not watch my diet as I was at the gym 4-5x a week, 1.5 hours, would come out soaked. I've gained unnecessary fat and muscle mass. Fast forward to 2017, starting out the new year/challenge I was hovering around the low 190s and decided that I will dedicate the next 5-6 months to focus on cutting fat and lean down to 12-15% BF.

I figured that because I am going on a trip, I will use that as an added motivation to start a challenge and drop as much weight/fat not only for the challenge but my overall goals.

As I mentioned in my posts, I welcome the opinions of all, negative , neutral, and positive :smile:
  • ktrulez
    Options

you said it right there.

When I started with MFP, my goal was to lose as much weight as I could in 16 weeks, prior to a 3-week holiday in Canada. I lost 15 kg in that time. (I've mentioned that part already. :) )

When I returned from my 3-week holiday in Canada, where I tried to eat as much as I could of all the things I can get in Canada but can't get here in Australia, I had gained ....... a whopping 2 kg.

That's all. :)

However ...

I was really active while I was in Canada ... cycling a 100 mile ride + doing an all-day hike to the top of a mountain + cycling and walking a bunch of a shorter distances. I was active every day but one.

And I discovered that my tastes had changed a bit. In the past I would have had no problem devouring a large bag of dill pickle potato chips ... on that trip, it took me several days to get through the bag, and I ended up throwing the last little bit out. Too salty. In the past I would have easily inhaled a half dozen donuts in a sitting ... on this trip 2 was my max. And I found myself ordering things like salad and steamed veggies with my meals!!

I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with my diet when I returned from the holiday, but I decided to and stuck with it for another 16 weeks during which time I lost those 2 kg and another 10 kg.

So if you don't go too crazy and if you're active, you shouldn't gain too much.

Also note that if there's a flight involved, you'll likely gain water weight. When I stepped on the scale the day after I returned to Australia, I was actually up about 4 kg, but within about 2 days, I had dropped 2 kg of water weight, so my real gain was only 2 kg.

Thanks for sharing, always insightful!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

you said it right there.

You do know that for you to gain 5-7 pounds you will need to consume 17,500 to 24,500 over your total daily energy expenditure on a consistent basis-right? So, divide that by how many days you are on vacation to get a daily average of how much you would end up eating/drinking over. That's being realistic.

You said you believe your extra calories are going to be consumed in alcohol, so will you really be consuming that many calories over your TDEE in booze?
  • ktrulez
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

you said it right there.

You do know that for you to gain 5-7 pounds you will need to consume 17,500 to 24,500 over your total daily energy expenditure on a consistent basis-right? So, divide that by how many days you are on vacation to get a daily average of how much you would end up eating/drinking over. That's being realistic.

You said you believe your extra calories are going to be consumed in alcohol, so will you really be consuming that many calories over your TDEE in booze?

@SLLRunner Now that you put it in numbers, I don't see myself hitting an excess of 24.5K but 15K may be plausible. Tracking calories is still relatively new to me and I appreciate you breaking it down that.
  • Giuliaborg
    Giuliaborg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello ktrulez!
    You discussion inspired me and I opened a similar one... but shorted. It's called 4 weeks because I don't feel strong enough for 8 weeks at the moment :-)
    I'll visit you here to see how it goes then. I also have have short holiday after the 4 weeks, but it's gonna be a skiing holiday so no bikini required! ;-)
  • ktrulez
    Options
    Giuliaborg wrote: »
    Hello ktrulez!
    You discussion inspired me and I opened a similar one... but shorted. It's called 4 weeks because I don't feel strong enough for 8 weeks at the moment :-)
    I'll visit you here to see how it goes then. I also have have short holiday after the 4 weeks, but it's gonna be a skiing holiday so no bikini required! ;-)

@Giuliaborg appreciate you dropping and glad to see you were inspired. i will keep an eye out for your progress too!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Giuliaborg wrote: »
    Hello ktrulez!

Are you kidding? You ignored every single kitten post in here that points out how unhealthy the OP's method is?