When did you start to see a change?

I am just curious as to others experiences with weight loss and when they started to physically see a change in their body.

I'm 4 weeks in and feel good, feel stronger and endurance is higher but with 7 lbs gone, clothes seem to fit the same and don't notice a change in the mirror (of course because I see myself every day lol)

Replies

• coboblack
    coboblack Posts: 64 Member
    Hey,

I would say that you are right on track. About a month in, you should feel different more than you look different. That said, you should trust the scale not your eyes when it comes to "seeing a difference". My daughter has grown a foot over the last year and I haven't noticed until she went to the doctor and got measured.

If you want to see a difference, take a before pic and then stop worrying about what you look like and just watch the scale and stay with your program. There will be differences in your appearance but In 6 months, it will be noticeable to you. Your friends you only see occasionally will probably be your biggest ego boost when they walk up and notice how much weight you have loss. =)
  • andrea4736
    andrea4736 Posts: 211 Member
    To me, it just happens out of nowhere. One day I look in the mirror and meh, same old me. Then the next I walk by and go whoa!!! I totally look smaller today! There is absolutely no rhyme or reason for it for me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    This is one of those areas where it will REALLY vary person to person.

I see progress on the scale almost immediately, once I've found some consistency with my diet.
    After that, I feel changes in how my pants fit with just a few lbs lost.
    I almost never see changes in the mirror (subjective) whether I'm at the high end of my range (180ishlbs) or the low (165ish). The mirror can kiss my *kitten*.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    I'm really proportional, so when I lost it all came off evenly. I never actually noticed it, even though I lost 120lb over a year and a half. I bought smaller clothes, found myself in a size 6 instead of a 20, but it was never like, "damn that's a different shape!"
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    I was about three weeks in when I said "I wonder if I lost weight or if I automatically clench my stomach muscles when near a window"
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Agreed that this is different for every person, especially with your goals, program and body shape. I take weekly pictures, measurements and weigh in. I see a change in my pictures sometimes only a week apart! Others I don't see anything, yet the scale goes down 2lbs.

My first set of pictures are the ones I look back to the most, it reminds me how much progress I have managed if I feel like I have stalled.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited February 2017
    I think that would depend on how much weight an individual has to lose.

ETA: You have made great progress. Just be patient. ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    For me it was probably 30 lbs, or ~10% of my weight. Now at 20% gone, it's really noticeable.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Thank you for all the responses!!
    I was an huge idiot and deleted my first photo I took when I started Soni have nothing to compare to!!
    I will take another picture Monday and will keep track now for sure!!

@tapwaters congratulations on losing over 120lbs!! that is amazing!!
  • birdtobe
    birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
    I'm at 22 lost and I am noticing a difference now, as are other people. At 7 lost, you are doing great! I'll bet you're going to see the difference very soon!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    took me well over 60 pounds. Then the change became insane i slimmed right up. Still wearing size large but its more medium large vs large large. Luckilyi havent lost my boobs or butt yet so maybe the slimming of my tummy and muffin top happened all at once while rest stayed thick and thats why i noticed
  • cchhiipp22
    cchhiipp22 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm a guy, so it'll probably go a little different for you than me, but after 4 weeks I'd lost about the same amount you had. One of my friends noticed and remarked that it looked like I'd lost some weight.

Now, 6 weeks since I started, I'm down 12 pounds. Yesterday I tried on some pants I hadn't worn in a while, and they were too big - wouldn't fit. Again, that might be different between men and women as far as where on the body the losses take place, but take it for what you will.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I've been logging again since January 2 and have lost 13 pounds. I can see and feel the difference in my stomach.
  • KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member
    I'm 4 weeks and 14 pounds in and nothing visible to me yet, I'm hoping 30 pounds in ill notice
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm a little over 5 months in around 47lbs lost. I still don't see change, though so many people keep telling me my face has changed and i have a chin and jaw again XD. I don't see it. But i do feel more...alive? Not sure how to word it but before i struggled getting up and walking small distances, I'd be tired as soon as i tried to work out. Now I get up, walk for 90mins and want to keep going, I want to run!!!! But my knees are in bad shape, so I try not to run too much. I definitely feel healthier in that sense =) Hopefully I'll also see a change soon.

Edit to add, If i look at pictures of me from before... I do see the change. I see it a lot o.o but I don't in the mirror =/ maybe it's psychological... Or I'm just nutts XD
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    When I had dropped 16lbs (without telling anyone I was losing weight) my mother came over for lunch and said "Wow, you've lost weight!". I've lost a few more pounds since then, and now I'm definitely noticing it especially around my face and my waist.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm down a little over 7 pounds in a month and some of my clothes are finally fitting a little better. This time I took before pictures and measured myself. I think all that will help me better determine progress. The mirror isn't giving me too much yet.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Take progress pictures. I found some pictures of me as a kid and was shocked man.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2017
    I've been at it for about the same amount of time and lost just under 6 pounds. While I'm not in a smaller size yet, my clothes are a bit loose and the biggest change is that my belly doesn't spill over the top. My body seems to lose weight around the hips and waist first. The loss of love handles was my first visible sign that the scale was moving down.

I also started a weight lifting and running program with my weight loss and I can tell that being more toned is making my pant legs fit better and lifted my booty a little. While the weight isn't that different, my body composition is changing while I lose, so as I lose body fat, a higher percentage of my leftover weight is muscle.

I also have to be understanding that even at my heaviest ever (205 lbs on 5'4" frame) after having my baby, I was still only a size 14. At my lowest weight, 125lbs, I was a size 4-6. I don't fluctuate as much as some people do, even with drastic loss or gain, so I can't expect one month to move the size that much.

Bodies are weird.

My suggestion is, for the first few months, start comparing face pictures. After four weeks, I am noticeably less bloated and my double chin has all but disappeared. Yeah, I'm in the same pants as last month, but my face is prettier! It helps keep me motivated until those pants start to fall off.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    I started at 170 and didn't notice any real change until I lost 20 lbs, which is when I needed to start buying new clothes. After that I started noticing changes at much smaller increments. I personally don't see a big difference in the mirror when I'm not wearing clothes - it's only when I'm dressed that I really notice how much weight I've lost. Probably a psychological thing.