Cold weather shuts down my iphone

Options
I'm furious right now. I'm using my mapmyrun on my iPhone to track my running/walking. I ran up hills today...that was a first. I was doing more running than walking. 3/4 of a mile in my phone got too cold and shut down. I may or may not have broke down a little. I may or may not have just turned around and walked home at a leisurely pace. I may or may not have looked crazy as I was yelling a bunch of words that I can't repeat on this site.

All this to say, this can't happen again. I spent the walk home worried about keeping my phone warm bc I didn't know if the continued cold would damage it. I need a new solution for tracking my runs. Apparently, having that timer and calorie counter is important for me mentally.

What solutions do you have for the iPhone or what do you use to track?

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    What iphone do you have? They shouldn't shut down because they are cold, and they shouldn't be cold if you had been using it for 3/4 of a mile already, and were still using it. If you have the Iphone 6S then they have battery issues where they shut off on their own because the battery is defective, and really cold weather might play a part in that. But in general cold weather shouldn't shut off your phone.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    how cold? like minus 30?
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have had mine in my pocket @ air temperature -27 F with wind chill in the -60 F range. It has never quit on me.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My friend has the 6S and complains about the same thing when we go skiing. His has a battery recall - maybe yours does too.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Dead battery, or phone crashed?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I use a running watch (Garmin).
  • TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a 5S. The weather channel says 33 but feels like 21. I was running into the wind. I keep the phone in my jacket pocket but I pulled it out of my pocket to check the time. My husband has the same phone and his does the same thing. It happened to me once before when the temps were below 30. I'm up for a new phone, but if the 6S does the same thing I might need to get something like a fitbit. Do you need your phone turned on for those to work? I'm clueless as to how they work.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Per Apple's tech specs, the iPhone's environmental requirements call for temps to be above 32F for the phone to function properly. Try keeping it in an inside pocket (under layers, if possible) if you're going to be out in sub 32F weather.

If you've done a similar walk in the past, you can re-log that session today just so you have a ballpark idea of where you are with your daily calorie goal. Seems like a pretty small thing to get furious about...
  • jwebb949
    jwebb949 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Apple's recommended temperature range is 32F - 92F. (source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678)

Up here in Canada, I've had my phone shut down while driving in my car due to temperatures if I don't leave it in a pocket close to my body. Try running with your phone someplace closer to your body to give it more body heat.

I went for a run last weekend at -0.4F and my phone survived but probably only due to body heat.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    TMW2119 wrote: »
    I have a 5S. The weather channel says 33 but feels like 21. I was running into the wind. I keep the phone in my jacket pocket but I pulled it out of my pocket to check the time. My husband has the same phone and his does the same thing. It happened to me once before when the temps were below 30. I'm up for a new phone, but if the 6S does the same thing I might need to get something like a fitbit. Do you need your phone turned on for those to work? I'm clueless as to how they work.

Sounds like a weak battery to me. Cold can make batteries go dead faster, but generally if it has good life and wasn't mostly dead when you started it shouldn't be all that bad. Certainly not bad enough to shut it down half way through a run. I had a 5 that had terrible battery life, and the 5S's were no better. They worked great for the first few months then I started noticing having to charge them late in the day. Cold made it worse. You may want to consider upgrading when you get the chance, my 7 stays charged for more than a day, even on days I use it for working out for 1.5 hours in the mornings. I put it on the charger anyway at night but it usually has 20-30% left.

My wife only charges her 6S Plus about every 3 days, it has a massive battery. But too bulky for my tastes.
  • l_lake
    l_lake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    +1 for keeping your phone in an inside pocket. Mine consistently dies when I forget and put it in my jacket pocket. When I have it in a sweater pocket under my jacket, it works perfectly. Yay Canadian winters!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I use a running watch (Garmin).

Me too. I've used to down to -2 F night skiing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run with a Garmin Forerunner and I've run in temperatures close to -40C with no problems (and I've been using Garmins for the last 7 or 8 years)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm furious right now. I'm using my mapmyrun on my iPhone to track my running/walking. I ran up hills today...that was a first. I was doing more running than walking. 3/4 of a mile in my phone got too cold and shut down. I may or may not have broke down a little. I may or may not have just turned around and walked home at a leisurely pace. I may or may not have looked crazy as I was yelling a bunch of words that I can't repeat on this site.

All this to say, this can't happen again. I spent the walk home worried about keeping my phone warm bc I didn't know if the continued cold would damage it. I need a new solution for tracking my runs. Apparently, having that timer and calorie counter is important for me mentally.

Sounds like it was a handy excuse to stroll home...

Next time keep going anyway, get it done!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 235. I got it because it's far more reliable than a phone and I don't have to worry about the battery dying mid-run. They make models that range from $70 to over $700.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Sounds like it was a handy excuse to stroll home...

Next time keep going anyway, get it done!

But if it's not on Strava, it didn't happen!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 235. I got it because it's far more reliable than a phone and I don't have to worry about the battery dying mid-run. They make models that range from $70 to over $700.

I've got the 225, and I have found a couple of times that if my hands get too cold it loses my heart rate... I remember being at the back end of 10 miles and it had my HR at 77 :laugh:
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    21 degrees and near your body shouldn't shut a phone down. I've gone for runs in far colder weather with the phone in a SPIbelt outside my jacket and it's run fine. That sounds like a battery issue-I would definitely have an Apple Genius bar check the battery out for you.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with my iPhone 5s when it was about 18 months old, it would just turn itself off in temperatures around 3°C or lower, sooo frustrating . In the end I got a Samsung as the iPhone was due for upgrade.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me. I bought an arm strap to wear under my jacket so my phone can be against my skin and not freeze.