Options
2»

Replies

• TMW2119
    TMW2119 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I think your phone is defective.

I used to live in Edmonton where during the winter the temperature would range between 0 and -40 and my phone never quit on me. Are you under any kind of warranty?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm up for an upgrade so it may be time to change phones if this isn't something that happens to everyone.
  • TMW2119
    Options
    TMW2119 wrote: »
    I have a 5S. The weather channel says 33 but feels like 21. I was running into the wind. I keep the phone in my jacket pocket but I pulled it out of my pocket to check the time. My husband has the same phone and his does the same thing. It happened to me once before when the temps were below 30. I'm up for a new phone, but if the 6S does the same thing I might need to get something like a fitbit. Do you need your phone turned on for those to work? I'm clueless as to how they work.

Sounds like a weak battery to me. Cold can make batteries go dead faster, but generally if it has good life and wasn't mostly dead when you started it shouldn't be all that bad. Certainly not bad enough to shut it down half way through a run. I had a 5 that had terrible battery life, and the 5S's were no better. They worked great for the first few months then I started noticing having to charge them late in the day. Cold made it worse. You may want to consider upgrading when you get the chance, my 7 stays charged for more than a day, even on days I use it for working out for 1.5 hours in the mornings. I put it on the charger anyway at night but it usually has 20-30% left.

My wife only charges her 6S Plus about every 3 days, it has a massive battery. But too bulky for my tastes.

The phone has been with me for a while. It was charged above 80 percent when I left and still above 80 when it turned back on. Thanks for the tip on the 7!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a grocery freezer department for about 4 1/2 years. The cold can make your battery drain a lot faster. I used to kill my phone in a couple hours on the days I would have to reorganize the walk-in freezer.
  • TMW2119
    Options
    I'm furious right now. I'm using my mapmyrun on my iPhone to track my running/walking. I ran up hills today...that was a first. I was doing more running than walking. 3/4 of a mile in my phone got too cold and shut down. I may or may not have broke down a little. I may or may not have just turned around and walked home at a leisurely pace. I may or may not have looked crazy as I was yelling a bunch of words that I can't repeat on this site.

All this to say, this can't happen again. I spent the walk home worried about keeping my phone warm bc I didn't know if the continued cold would damage it. I need a new solution for tracking my runs. Apparently, having that timer and calorie counter is important for me mentally.

What solutions do you have for the iPhone or what do you use to track?

Sounds like it was a handy excuse to stroll home...

Next time keep going anyway, get it done!

Ouch! Well, that is one way of looking at it. I went from having my best run yet to trying to shove a cold phone down my leggings and shirt in a high traffic area. My priority changed to making sure I didn't do damage to my phone and lose numbers, pictures, etc. I could have tried to run home through my tears, cussing, and frustration. Maybe next time I will. Instead, I let the phone warm back up and just got back from finishing two miles using @Jules_farmgirl 's tip of putting it in a strap under my jacket. Just to be safe, I put it under my jacket and shirt. It didn't shut off. Thanks for the temporary solution @Jules_farmgirl! I'm going to look into some of the watches others suggested.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it was a handy excuse to stroll home...

Next time keep going anyway, get it done!

Ouch! Well, that is one way of looking at it. I went from having my best run yet to trying to shove a cold phone down my leggings and shirt in a high traffic area. My priority changed to making sure I didn't do damage to my phone and lose numbers, pictures, etc. I could have tried to run home through my tears, cussing, and frustration. Maybe next time I will. Instead, I let the phone warm back up and just got back from finishing two miles using @Jules_farmgirl 's tip of putting it in a strap under my jacket. Just to be safe, I put it under my jacket and shirt. It didn't shut off. Thanks for the temporary solution @Jules_farmgirl! I'm going to look into some of the watches others suggested.[/quote]

No problem! I just got a fitbit blaze at Christmas that I use now, but I actually still use the same trick with my phone because my Blaze doesn't have a GPS...and I like my music in my ears :)

Unfortunately so many phones can be "lemons" or their battery no longer strong enough to deal with cold weather (I live in Saskatchewan Canada...). I have learned to adapt based on my budget and needs!!!

Enjoy watch shopping!!!
  • TMW2119
    Options
    This has happened to me. I bought an arm strap to wear under my jacket so my phone can be against my skin and not freeze.

I saw this suggestion on another site and tried it before I read your post. It worked great! Thanks for sharing your tip
  • acarpenter
    acarpenter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Put a hand warmer packet in your pocket with your phone. I had to do that when we went snow skiing.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem one cold run with my 5s too when I got it out to take a photo mid-run. My battery isn't great anyway but that was really annoying as I wanted to capture the pretty sights to log against my run.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Mine's done that before (my old Samsung)- shrug it's not going to kill it- it's just cold and shut off. Just put it in an inner pocket and you'll be fine.

I certainly wouldn't change what I was doing with my workout.
  • TMW2119
    Options
    acarpenter wrote: »
    Put a hand warmer packet in your pocket with your phone. I had to do that when we went snow skiing.

I have some of those. Great idea! Thanks!

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yup. My iPhone 5 would die when I had it in my jacket pocket or arm band and it was below 25f or so. I had to keep it next to my skin on cold runs until I got a FlipBelt. I haven't had that problem with my 7, but I always have it in my FlipBelt. That keeps it close enough to keep it warm even on single digit runs.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    FYI, it's not that cold weather zaps the power out of batteries, it's more like it prevents it from getting out. Still have all their charge in there and once they warm back up a little, they work fine.

Photographers in really cold weather bring spare camera batteries and carry them in pockets inside their coats to keep them warm - for this reason.

As a photographer who's shot in cold weather, I concur.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Why were you running in -50 degrees celcius?
  • islal
    islal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's common for phones to drain the battery really fast in cold weather. I made a cosy out of the top of a worn out wool sock. If it's really cold I put a hand warmer next to my phone.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that have said this is normal, the cold just does that to lithium batteries, it doesn't drain, it simply cannot function at that temperature. It's not a problem if my phone is next to my skin so it keeps warm, there was one particularly cold run where I got the phone out to take a picture and the cold wind almost immediately made it die. A few minutes of the phone back in my belt warming up, it came back on.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My phone did that today too. The wind chill was 8; came back on in the house and it was at 64%.