Calories in VS calories out

Options
Ok so I apologize if this is somewhere on the website, I have tried to google search and look through the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm 5'4 and 226 pounds, aiming to lose 1.5 pounds per week and allotted 1400 calories per day (setting a goal for 5, 30 minute workouts per week). I typically tend to burn around 300 calories a day in workout, sometimes I eat that much back and sometimes I don't. I calculate my calories burned by direct input into map my fitness. I have already got my food scale and my HRM should be arriving in the mail in just a few days...so my question is how many calories should I be losing per workout in order to lose fat and not muscle? is there such a thing as working out too much and not eating enough? Thank you for any help you can provide!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to maintain muscle, it's more about protein, resistance training and not having an aggressive weight loss goal (currently, you are fine). Can you workout too much and eat too little, yes. But overtraining doesn't happen with most people.

I would probably suggest some resistance training 3 days a week and around 120g of protein per day. If you want some ideas for program, the below is a good source. And depending on availability of equipment will drive what you can do.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1