Repurpose Protein Powder Containers?

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    We have recycling bins in our city, so I just toss them along with other recyclables that I can't get money for. I actually take my aluminum cans and plastic bottles to a recycle center every couple of months and make back about $30.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

we dont have a recycling program where I live and our recycling center is a joke. they wont take plastic and things like that(stuff they cant make money off of). and what they give you for metal is also a joke.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    we have one we use for spare change.the others hubby has in his garage for nuts,bolts,nails,etc and he can take the label off and write on the container with whats inside.

This. ^^^^^^ My husband has a shop full of these types of containers with more nuts, bolts, etc. then you can shake a stick at!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    We have recycling bins in our city, so I just toss them along with other recyclables that I can't get money for. I actually take my aluminum cans and plastic bottles to a recycle center every couple of months and make back about $30.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

we dont have a recycling program where I live and our recycling center is a joke. they wont take plastic and things like that(stuff they cant make money off of). and what they give you for metal is also a joke.

My state has a can and bottle deposit for carbonated beverages. It's 5 cents per can or bottle, but I throw mine in a donation bin for the local girl scouts. I don't buy their cookies anymore, so that is a convenient way to give them a few bucks while saving me the trouble of taking them back.

Other recyclable materials go into a collection bin. There are a few located around town (managed by county sanitation dept.) and I'll make a trip as my bins at home get full. They don't pay us anything for any of it, of course, but it is environmentally friendly. My guess is that it costs more to process than the county can get by selling the recyclable material. However, it probably saves landfill costs to make up for more than the difference. I haven't looked at the numbers; just guessing here. Personally, I believe in recycling as much as possible for environmental reasons.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lkokot wrote: »
    So far it seems most just throw them out; I was hoping for some creative ideas.

Have you done a search at Pintrest yet? They are full of creative ideas.

Reuse smaller plastic containers
    Reuse large Plastic containers.
    Reuse huge plastic containers

• JullzGood
    JullzGood Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I just washed one out and Im going to put the dogs bones in them

Oh wow that is such a good idea! I'm going to start using that for my dogs food. I hate these stupid bags the food comes in. I try to clamp them shut but last time some how maggots got into them. So disgusting. Thanks!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    lost_work7 wrote: »
    I actually used to save them for halloween so that I could use them for dead bodies.

This is scary. :D

• SLLRunner
    Options
    They become disposable trash cans. When my husband is done with one I use it for trash until it's full then toss the thing.

Good idea. My grandmother used to use the empty milk cartons for food garbage.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My state has a can and bottle deposit for carbonated beverages. It's 5 cents per can or bottle, but I throw mine in a donation bin for the local girl scouts. I don't buy their cookies anymore, so that is a convenient way to give them a few bucks while saving me the trouble of taking them back.

Other recyclable materials go into a collection bin. There are a few located around town (managed by county sanitation dept.) and I'll make a trip as my bins at home get full. They don't pay us anything for any of it, of course, but it is environmentally friendly. My guess is that it costs more to process than the county can get by selling the recyclable material. However, it probably saves landfill costs to make up for more than the difference. I haven't looked at the numbers; just guessing here. Personally, I believe in recycling as much as possible for environmental reasons.

we dont have a deposit here in wv. we used to in the early 80s but they did away with it.I try to recycle as much as I can. but when you dont have a program and the recycling center stops taking certain things,theres only so much you can do.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    JullzGood wrote: »
    I just washed one out and Im going to put the dogs bones in them

Oh wow that is such a good idea! I'm going to start using that for my dogs food. I hate these stupid bags the food comes in. I try to clamp them shut but last time some how maggots got into them. So disgusting. Thanks!

yeah that would work too. you may need more than one container but at least it would keep critters and insects out.
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Gosh - it kinda depends on where your interests stear you ...

If you are a cook or a baker ... use them for bulk storage for baking flours, sugars, etc. And, if you give home prepared foods out as gifts, pant and/or decorate the containers and use as the gift box. ... shucks, you can probably use them as gift boxes for other kinds of stuff as well.

If you are a gardener ... use some as plant pots, just drill holes in the bottom for water to flow out. Or for storage of miscellaneous gardening supplies, implements. Or as a kitchen compost bin addition collector.
    SIfthese are just a couple of ideas based on my interests.

Have you though about filling them with sand and sealing them up to use as hand held weights? Most of the protein powder tubs I've seen have some sort of easy grip on their sides ... if you are a bit handy, you could probably engineer some sort of hand hold to use them as dumbbells.

How about using some of them to store your manly personal grooming products?

You could build a totem pole out of them, and paint garish faces of some species on them, or whatever pleases.

Since they must be food-grade plastic, you could probably use them to store items in your fridge.

Put 2 or 3 or them together side by side and connect them to one another in some way, and put a loop handle on them to create a work bucket to carry stuff around in.

Decorate, put ice in it to make an ice bucket.

.... get the idea?

This did give me an idea to maybe make a kettlebell since I been wanting to try a kettlebell workout since I heard Joe Rogan rave about them on his podcast.

Thanks for the idea!