Keto diet

Options
Anyone else doing this? Advice? Personal experience? I lost 15 lbs in about a month doing this diet. I went off of it for the holidays and ate like a piggy. So, I went back to the keto diet right after eating a ton of chocolate...like the next day. Its been a week and I still have the headache. Plus, my tummy freaked out this time...didn't happen at all last time. My instinct is I reacted this way because of too extreme of a glucose difference too fast.

Replies

• Totttiebuttx3
    Totttiebuttx3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it! I've lost 20 lbs in 4 weeks. I did the same. Started in Nov she then the holidays happened and started back up in January. The keto flu is killer but once you get past it you feel great!!!! I got past it and started freaking running. Something I never believed I could do.
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    KrishnaKrolczyk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    To anybody considering it. It is a great program that really works but I definitely suggest taking it slow and eat clean lower carb but not keto before jumping into it. Once you are suffering you don't want it to be for nothing. LOL!
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    Did you get the runs? I finally realized chia seeds and fiber powder are my friend. I did not have this problem the first time.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er for life ..... You need to up your sodium to 3,000 to 5,000mg ...I use mio (flavored water enhancer, morton lite salt (1 tsp) and a bottle of water also you can eat dill pickles ...you won't have the keto flu....Wishing you the best ...
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    Thank you! I will soooo try anything! LOL!
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    Am I correct that MFP counts carbs but doesn't subtract fiber for the net carb count? I think I thought I was eating too many carbs because I forgot to subtract fiber for net carbs.
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Please feel free to join the low carber daily group ....we are a bunch of awesome people with lots of info ....true MFP does not subtract fiber...but if you join the group I mentioned there is a way to set it up so it will give you net carbs
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    Please feel free to join the low carber daily group ....we are a bunch of awesome people with lots of info ....true MFP does not subtract fiber...but if you join the group I mentioned there is a way to set it up so it will give you net carbs

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er for life ..... You need to up your sodium to 3,000 to 5,000mg ...I use mio (flavored water enhancer, morton lite salt (1 tsp) and a bottle of water also you can eat dill pickles ...you won't have the keto flu....Wishing you the best ...

Yes! So many people suffer through low electrolytes without realizing what the problem is. Nausea, headaches, fatigue, brain fog, BM issues, muscle pain and spasms are all due to low sodium. 2+ teaspoons of salt per day is often needed.
    Am I correct that MFP counts carbs but doesn't subtract fiber for the net carb count? I think I thought I was eating too many carbs because I forgot to subtract fiber for net carbs.

Some people count net carbs and others (like me) go with total carbs. Do whatever works best for you. I liked total carbs because it was less work to figure out. ;)
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    With all the fiber in my carbs. 50 is more like 20! Big difference. LOL!
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    I think I found the group. I am still getting used to this community structure. I put in a search and found It. I requested to join. I don't see it listed on the main forums. Is the search button the only way to connect to it? The LCD Group.
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    It can take a few hours to a few days for your request to go thru .....once your request as gone thru ...you will see it on the bottom of the forums
  • ms_smartypants
    Options
    It can take a few hours to a few days for your request to go thru .....once your request as gone thru ...you will see it on the bottom of the forums

You could use the blue link that I put up
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Im going on 4 weeks. No cheating yet. Ive lost ten pounds but I think that's pretty much all water weight which will be gained right back after I incorporate carbs again. A lot of that weight you lose in the beginning is mostly water weight.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    It didn't work for me. I felt like hell, even when I was in full ketosis. I only lost a pound, and my energy level was so low. I was on it about a month before I decided that it wasn't worth it. Now I'm doing IIFYM. It's not for everyone, but it's worth a shot! It works for a lot of people, it just didn't work for me.
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Back on keto for a 4 week stretch just hope I have the same success as last time
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Im going on 4 weeks. No cheating yet. Ive lost ten pounds but I think that's pretty much all water weight which will be gained right back after I incorporate carbs again. A lot of that weight you lose in the beginning is mostly water weight.

Hello fellow ketoer :)
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    I lost 15 and ate like a piggy for 2 months. I only gained back 5. That isn't water weight. I have a client who lost over 100lbs on keto. That is a lot of water!
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    Options
    I also already lost the 5 I gained in less than a week. I am back where I started when I quit 2 months ago!
  • Netdotnotes
    Netdotnotes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What's the difference between a keto plan and low carbs? I'm pretty new to this, trying to stay under 36 total carbs a day. I don't test for ketosis but if feeling like the army has marched through my mouth even after drinking a lot of water, I would say I'm there.