Break meals down item by item?

Options
I often will just search something similar when I make a dinner - e.g. shrimp linguine or chicken curry with rice, but of course the ranges for calories in those items that come up is huge. I just feel like it's a ridiculous amount of effort to go: 100g pasta, 1 tbsp oil, one tomato, etc.

Who actually breaks it down and who just wings it?

Replies

• Sna_ke
    Sna_ke Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Depends on what is happening.

When I eat out, it's "find something similar". When I eat at home, I'll take the time to input as a recipe. Especially since if it's good I'll probably make it again.

I also like to do it ahead of time (not after I've eaten). That way I can choose to cut things out/find alternatives if I don't like the calorie count.

I do agree it can be a PITA (especially on the smartphone). So if the recipe is too large I'll head to the website.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    clags301 wrote: »
    I always break it down, for the reason you mention. Why bother tracking at all if you're not going to be accurate?

This for sure. I'm not logging a bunch of stuff I didn't actually eat just to keep a log.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I often will just search something similar when I make a dinner - e.g. shrimp linguine or chicken curry with rice, but of course the ranges for calories in those items that come up is huge. I just feel like it's a ridiculous amount of effort to go: 100g pasta, 1 tbsp oil, one tomato, etc.

Me. I've been doing this for 666 days and counting. I have reached my ultimate weight loss goal, plus maintained it for 10 months.

I rarely make the same meal twice. Recipes don't really work for me. All the ingredients in the meals I eat are in recent or favourites, so logging takes about a minute a day.

I do choose generic meal entries occasionally when I eat out, but I try err on the side of overestimation.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I break down the meal and enter it into MFP's recipe builder. When I title the meal, I put a serving size in parentheses like this: Spaghetti with meat sauce (250 g). Usually we make our meals fairly similarly each time. Maybe it's not the exact same amount of ground beef, but for my purposes it's close enough. So then I can use that meal entry again and I have the weight of a serving size already in my title. If I make it differently, like we use meatballs instead of meat sauce, or we use elbow noodles instead of spaghetti noodles, then I make a new entry.

I just wing it if I go out to eat or eat at somebody's house.
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Me. I either create recipes with weighed individual ingredients or add the individual weighed ingredients. I wouldn't depend on database entries being accurate.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's not hard to break it down. Takes 3 minutes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I create a meal so the next time I eat it it's very simple to enter. I may have to change out the vegetables, but that's it. Unfortunately, I'm not a very creative cook and we eat the same meals a lot.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    I break it down. I just jot things on a recycled junk-mail envelope as I weigh them, while cooking, so I don't get my electronic device all ooky, then record it after the meal. Easy & quick.

Things I repeat frequently (like my regular 11-item (!) oatmeal breakfast) I store as a meal. Things I make and will eat for a while (like frozen crustless mini-quiches for the freezer) are stored as a recipe.

I vary things enough that stuff I need drops out of the recent/frequent list, but it's probably only around 10% of the items or so.

An accurate log is a boon, not just for tracking calories to lose, but so you can predict your personal loss rate when changing calories, estimate the impact of over-goal days (figure how many more days to goal, or how many deficit days it'll take to be back to even again), recognize when a scale gain must be water weight and estimate how much, and predict eventual maintenance calories.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I go item at a time. You only eat a number of items. How many hundreds? They all tend to stay together in the recent foods.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Just takes several minutes. Are you not worth that time?
  • N_G_H
    N_G_H Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always break it down so I know exactly where I am. Also, I may have used a lower fat alternative in the ingredients, don't want calories / etc adding which I didn't have. Besides, how would I otherwise know if I'd earned a pudding ;)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I break it down. I want to log as accurately as possible, or my mind starts thinking WTH and I end up eating over my goal.

I have a number of repeat recipes stored, which helps. Salads are the biggest pain for me to log because they're always different, but I tend not to be AS exact there with the low-cal items. 2 cups of lettuce vs 3 is a difference of about 3 calories. Dressing, cheese, egg, nuts, etc, I definitely log accurately.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Absolutely break it down. Even when I make the same dish over and over I'll make it differently. It only takes a couple extra minutes, if that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I break it down and log all the ingredients separately. It's a bit cumbersome but it's the only way I can get true accuracy.
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I break it down. It's a pain sometimes, but I really try to be accurate. It's working well for me (about 90 pounds lost..24 to go). So, I don't want anything to mess me up!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I've mostly entered my recipes into the recipe builder and log it that way because I do follow the recipe every time.
    If it is something like tacos then I enter the items individually because I might have different toppings or use ground turkey instead of ground beef.