How have your tastes changed since starting your journey?

Options
I had, for the first time in over a year, a package of Hostess Cupcakes yesterday. I used to LOVE these things! A pack or two and a quart of milk and I was set lol.

Yesterday, all I tasted was plasticky fake chocolate and awful sweeteners. No more of those for me.

Other treats though, like Snickers almond bars, Lindt chocolate, are still good.

Veggies - I used to eat them before I started, but only because I was "Supposed to" - now I'll tear through 2+ cups per meal easily.

White bread - blah - used to love it.

How about you folks?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat 3 years ago because it gives me migraines...now the smell of cooking meat makes me totally nauseous...except bacon...bacon still smells good because bacon is magic
  • NoAnalHere
    NoAnalHere Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love spicy food and during dieting that only increased my liking to spicy food lol. Instead of covering something in a 300 calorie sauce pass me some hot peppers+hot sauce and I'm in heaven. My spicy food has gotten to spicy to share with others so I make spice bombs for myself.

One negative thing that has changed is I used to drink like two cans of Arizona iced tea a day and that's where all my sugar came from. (hardly eat fruit. I eat sodium and carbs) now when I randomly have sweet things I get major sugar rush and crashes. I can doze off within 10 minutes of cake lol. Not very fun. I had it checked out at the doctor's and I'm fine but Geeesh.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I took my daughter to McDonalds for breakfast. I got a caramel mocha, gagggg! So sweet, I had about 2 sips and gave the rest to her. I have been drinking my coffee black for about a year.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    There are more foods I like now. I still love the "junk" food I ate years ago. I'm not the type whose tastes have totally changed. An example - my dad was put on a no-salt diet when I was 7, so no more salted food at meals unless it was something not for the whole family. I don't use salt, eat low sodium/no salt foods. I got a bag of Lay's potato chips at Xmas (food is a great gift for me, lol) and ate some. Oh my the salty goodness danced on my tongue! I can hear my mom saying "Oh this tastes too salty!" Not me.
  • snowstormy8
    snowstormy8 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Even a month in my cravings for sweets has basicly disappeared. I usually would buy a slice of cake or pie from the store all the time but now some sliced pear with cinnamon on top in plenty sweet for me! My want for crackers (cheez-itz mostly) is still hanging around though, not sure what to substitute for that yet.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to tolerate it but now I can't stand the taste of the icing on store bought cakes. If I'm going to eat cake I prefer making my own and putting either buttercream frosting or chocolate ganache on top.
  • mwickerh
    mwickerh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't eat premade marinara sauce anymore. It is way too sweet and watery. I now buy cans of salt free tomato sauce and add fresh tomatoes & other fresh veggies. My boyfriend seems to like the change as well. It's also waaaaay cheaper!
  • mwickerh
    mwickerh Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to tolerate it but now I can't stand the taste of the icing on store bought cakes. If I'm going to eat cake I prefer making my own and putting either buttercream frosting or chocolate ganache on top.

I totally agree! Even store bought cakes taste too sweet and artificial.
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I need veggies with every warm meal now, like wholemeal bread and pasta, don't really like cream anymore and can't stand some of the junk food and sweets I used to love.

Decent quality chocolate or a proper fresh burger though... sign me up. That'll never change. :wink:
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not so much taste but I eat so much less than I did before... so on bad days when I'm eating a large amount of something filling I simply CANT gorge myself like I used to or I'll get sick.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have always felt the way you describe about store bought cakes like Hostess and Little Debbie, even as a child. There is something in them that is just fake and weird tasting to me. (I also agree about things like Snickers and Lindt - YUM)

My tastes have not changed since I decided to lose weight. We have farm so we've always eaten a lot of vegetables, fruit, fresh eggs and wild fish/meat. I wasn't eating much junk food when I gained weight and I still don't.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Things don't taste different to me, but I'm more likely to avoid foods that I think are just "okay" and not worth the calories. That's where my mindset changed. Your Hostess Cupcakes example is perfect...they don't taste bad to me, just not good enough to justify using the calories on them. If I'm gonna splurge on a cupcake, it's going to be a fresh-baked bakery or homemade one.

This is exactly how I feel.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Mmmm hostess ... sort of, as others have said 'I try and make it count'!
    - Soda - used to be a soda junkie now I crave water. I will have an occasional soda.
    - Pastries - I am offered a donut or cupcake at work, if it's store bought I won't have one, but if it's from a local bakery sometimes I will indulge. <- This is hard because my employer and coworkers buy from the bakeries a bunch!
    - Fried foods - I used to enjoy fried everything, now it's just too heavy and greasy
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Even a month in my cravings for sweets has basicly disappeared. I usually would buy a slice of cake or pie from the store all the time but now some sliced pear with cinnamon on top in plenty sweet for me! My want for crackers (cheez-itz mostly) is still hanging around though, not sure what to substitute for that yet.

There is NO substitute for cheez-its! I can't even have them in the house. I'll eat them til I explode...
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Not my tastes so much as my response to some foods I enjoy. Particularly fried and salty, I think just because I don't do so much of it now I'm more sensitive to how it makes me feel (which is sluggish in the digestion and a bit bloaty).
  • Jsg529
    Jsg529 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've notice how salty most foods outside of anything I cook myself are.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Vegetables used to be tasteless to me, but now I recognize and crave their unique flavors! Also, I used to have a weakness for fudge but I had some last night and didn't care much for it surprisingly, all I could think about how I would rather have an entire pint of halo top for what a few small squares were haha!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I gained weight eating mostly "clean", whole foods and I'm now losing weight eating those same foods. So really, my tastes haven't changed at all since I started my journey.

That said, I did stop drinking soda about 8-10 years ago. Whenever I try to drink it now, I find it to be too syrupy/cloyingly sweet.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I use hot sauce a lot more. Like A LOT more.
    Lots of greek yogurt
    Crap tons of veggies
    I don't think a snickers tastes as good