How have your tastes changed since starting your journey?

2»

Replies

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    I've not been counting calories long, but I've mostly cut out refined sugars over the past six months or so (diabetic) and have been noticing that vegetables are a lot sweeter than they used to be.

I had spaghetti squash the other day, and it was almost as sweet as a sweet potato.

Today I had salsa, and I could have sworn they had added sugar to the salsa, it was so sweet. I read the ingredients and the nutrition label twice before I could believe that they hadn't. Then my mouth burned off, because I bought medium instead of mild, but it was still really sweet. I love tomatoes, eat them like apples, but never thought of them as sweet before.

The Snickers I had the other day didn't taste any sweeter than normal though.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Many things taste different. Salads I no longer use dressing maybe a little cheese or nuts. Along the same line ketchup is disgusting, haven't touched it in almost two years.

Food by itself tastes great with a little seasoning. I especially love fresh vegetables on there own.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Not much of a change here, I'm just much pickier about things that are not worth the calories. I would have had no issues eating a supermarket croissant or most fast food years ago... not great but edible, you know? Now it's just much easier to say no, I'd rather save the calories for something tastier (and more filling, in most cases).

The only change really is drinks - most drinks are just too sweet for me now. I'll still have a Starbucks drink maybe once a year, but sodas and juice... I just can't. Even the 0 calorie stuff like Bai is just disgustingly sweet to me. I wish they made drinks that were just a little bit sweet!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited February 2017
    My tastes haven't changed one bit. I've always eaten a highly varied diet and am not a picky eater at all. I eat more of some things and less of others now, but there's nothing I've entirely excluded from my diet.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    I've got lots in common with a lot of you. I just found another change. I used to love plain cottage cheese, not any more.

I also do seem to need more seasonings, more hot spice...I've always used it, but now it has to be on or in everything, except my coffee lol.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    I had candy over the holidays for the first time in 1 1/2 years. It tasted just as good. I will say that I no longer crave or think of snickers butterfingers etc. I really love the foods I eat now. So I don't feel deprived at all
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    I like vegetables so much more now! Before I honestly ate them very rarely and cooked them pretty poorly. Now my favorite part of grocery shopping is produce picking!

I still can't get behind certain things (dark chocolate, dear God its awful) but my tastes have changed for the better :)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    My tastes haven't changed, I've always been a food critic, but I stopped eating things I don't enjoy just to be polite or because they are there. I left an expensive Brazilian steakhouse hungry a couple months ago because they overcooked nearly everything and I finally just gave up on eating and enjoyed the conversation instead.
  • kipwi
    kipwi Posts: 11 Member
    I love vegetables now and don't much like the taste of many red meats anymore :smile: I also found my favorite food - brussel sprouts!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Not at all. I still eat all the same stuff, just keeping it within my calorie goals. (I've always eaten mostly low processed, whole foods and cook most of my own meals from scratch. Never much liked fast, highly processed food before MFP. Still don't like it now.)
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 245 Member
    No longer crave biscuits, bread, cake, pastries, ice cream.... I can go to a bakery or out with people and not care. At MacDonalds I used to have at least a quarter pounder, fillet, large fries and large sundae... I tried a quarter pounder a while back and nearly threw up it tasted awful. I just eat simple food now - mostly stay away from processed foods. Back to basics... meat and a few vegetables.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    I can no longer drink diet soda, it tastes way too sweet and way too artificial. Not upset about it one but though.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    I think the taste of processed food changes over time because they often change the ingrediants. There are foods I used to love that I can't stand now. For example Cadburys chocolate doesn't taste very nice because they started using palm oil. Alot of chocolate has way too much sugar and is too sweet for me now. Its funny, because I'm not a super healthy eater.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I can no longer drink diet soda, it tastes way too sweet and way too artificial. Not upset about it one but though.

See, dieting had be STARTING to drink diet soda. I never drank it in my life because I thought it tasted horrible. Now it's so sweet, in a good way. Helps me get through rough periods in the day before my next meal.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    edited February 2017
    I prefer homemade sweets/cakes etc to store brought. I feel like they use cake mixes that aren't so nice. 95% of the time, I hate the dessert type things when I go out.

-Sorry, probably not relevant. Although, I used to eat that stuff a lot.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    My tastes have not changed much. I used to love vegetables, I still love them. I used to love various desserts and salty snacks, I still love them. I used to love some types of fast food meals, I still love them. A couple of things that I may consider changed is that now I'm okay with air popped popcorn, although I still love oil popped. I used to find air popped inferior, but now I'm alright with it and find it to be an acceptable alternative. I also used to eat a few things that I didn't like just because they were there, now I'm more picky about where I spend my calories. That's about it, really.
  • josette06
    josette06 Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2017
    I stopped drinking soda 10 years ago. It was just a spur of the moment thing. I used to drink 3 mountain dews a day. I was 19 at the time and switched to plain water. It was a lifestyle change I didn't notice I was making. Before I knew it, 6 months passed and I found myself favoring water over any juice or tea. I tried soda and found it disgusting. I still only drink water with stuff and find juice to be a treat that I can't drink with food for some reason.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    My tastes haven't really changed, more than 5 years into my weight loss and maintenance. I've always been a trencherman, and continue to robustly enjoy most things. Some foods are better than others, of course - Mrs Jruzer's baking is greatly superior to most things I can buy - but I'd be deceiving myself if I said I didn't still enjoy all kinds of things.
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    im a savoury nut... still struggling to ignore crisps, peanuts etc... never was much for cakes so can walk up sweeets aisle easily. Do occaissionally grate some 90% choc on my puddings now though.
    Other than than foodstuffs not change that much.. bit of meat, lots of veg... maybe a yoghurt/fruits pudding.
    Still hit bread sometimes but try for malted/ grained... but cant resist a good tiger bread every now and again
  • butcher206
    butcher206 Posts: 61 Member
    Oh yeah... Tremendously! White bread tastes like starch. Meat tastes awful it's to the point i can barely eat it without feeling sick. I can only tolerate high quality pork loin, prime beef ribeye steak or freshly ground chuck if I'm craving a burger, chicken tenderloin or chicken breast, and wild sockeye salmon and i only eat these occasionally. Candy tastes like chemicals and stale low quality sugar cubes. Soda is just flat out disgusting to the point it makes me want to puke. I've become so picky about all foods it's insane. I'm addicted to fresh colorful salads it's pretty much all i want to eat now. For reference I'm a 6'0" male 31 yrs old and have ALWAYS been a meat and potatoes and "trailer trash" (sorry couldn't think of any other way to put it) processed foods type guy (think cheetos, doritos, kraft mac and cheese shake and bake pork chops cheezits etc.). Now they make me nauseated just think about them. And milk.... ughh used to drink over a quart of milk up to a gallon of it a day religiously; I'll never drink it again