Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Alcohol

13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    89oxygen89 wrote: »
    I don’t see anything bad if you’ll drink some alcohol on weekends. It helps you to relax, especially after hard work day. I like to go out with my friends on weekends and to drink one or two glasses of good red wine or martini. If you go in the gym at least 3 times in a week then no worries at all. The most important is to know your norm. Of course, I’ll not recommend it those who have problems with alcohol. One of my relatives had alcohol addiction for many years. One day I found out about Promis rehab centre and it was taken decision to send him there. After some time of treatment, he returned absolutely different and today he enjoys normal life. Question about alcohol is individual for everyone.

The bolded above is probably a very safe thing for you to say. It is, unfortunately, not for so many people. They use relaxation and unwinding as an excuse to drink more than they should. I had a hard day - I should get a drink.

Not to be a buzzkill here, and full disclosure I do enjoy all manner of adult beverages on weekends, but the IDEA of alcohol may be more relaxing than the substance itself. I do feel less inhibited for a short time initially, but I also observe a connection between how much I drink and how anxious I feel the next day. So the "I had a hard day - I deserve a drink" rationale should be more like "I had a hard day - I shouldn't compound my trouble." That said, I'm fine when I stop after 2 drinks. Hence, there's not so much a problem with "a drink" but with the internal argument about "just one more."

I was going to post more along this line but then it seemed like too much in response to the comment. You are absolutely correct though. Back in the day I had my share of next day anxiety.

Alcohol is not out of my life but it doesn't fit really well into it anymore. I feel like there may be a lesson in that but I haven't tried to nail it down. If it turns out that my drinking is going to be confined to vacations and special occasions or if I never drink again it is not really important at the moment.