Keto coffee Love it or hate it?

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    If I'm eating butter, cream, and coconut oil, I'm not wasting it on coffee.

how can you use the words 'waste' and 'coffee' in the same phrase?

that said, the two keto people in my barbell club got so mutually orgasmic just talking about this very thing, we wanted to shut them into a room by themselves to get on with it.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    What did I just walk into? Coffee is delicious with heavy cream and a slice of toast smeared with Kerrygold. Not sure what you plan on doing with the rest of your pantry there. BTW, you forgot the bread.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What did I just walk into? Coffee is delicious with heavy cream and a slice of toast smeared with Kerrygold. Not sure what you plan on doing with the rest of your pantry there. BTW, you forgot the bread.

I'd sprinkle the cinnamon on the buttered toast (along with the Stevia or a little sugar) and use the coconut oil to cook up a couple eggs. :)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I'd sprinkle the cinnamon on the buttered toast (along with the Stevia or a little sugar) and use the coconut oil to cook up a couple eggs. :)

Now that's starting to look like my kind of brunch. I buy lard and sugar instead of coconut oil and stevia though since I'm fortunate enough to live 20 miles from a Whole Paycheck and the people that shop there.
  • sharynfeldman
    sharynfeldman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY LOVE IT!!!! Makes me smile to have it every morning, since my macros are 84P/87F/20C (MYM)
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    What I find interesting is that spending 1/4 of your calories on coffee and butter is seen as okay, but spending 1/4 of your calories on, say, ice cream, is often seen as the biggest dieting horror and people cry "nutrition".

I know this is a derail, and I have nothing against those who like this stuff or feel like it fits their dieting style/choice of macros, what bothers me is the the kind of disconnect where drinking butter is seen as a healthy part of the diet but eating ice cream is seen as a "cheat", an unnecessary deviation, or something that needs to be defended as a totally normal dieting practice.

Don't mind me and carry on. Mini rant over.

Fat is fine, fat isn't the issue. If ice cream could be made without sugar, it would be fine. Sugar is one of the things that Keto focuses against. Keto is a hard mindset for many to get around, as we've been brainwashed since childhood to think fat makes you fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What I find interesting is that spending 1/4 of your calories on coffee and butter is seen as okay, but spending 1/4 of your calories on, say, ice cream, is often seen as the biggest dieting horror and people cry "nutrition".

I know this is a derail, and I have nothing against those who like this stuff or feel like it fits their dieting style/choice of macros, what bothers me is the the kind of disconnect where drinking butter is seen as a healthy part of the diet but eating ice cream is seen as a "cheat", an unnecessary deviation, or something that needs to be defended as a totally normal dieting practice.

Fat is fine, fat isn't the issue. If ice cream could be made without sugar, it would be fine. Sugar is one of the things that Keto focuses against. Keto is a hard mindset for many to get around, as we've been brainwashed since childhood to think fat makes you fat.
    And now we are being brainwashed to think sugar makes us fat. It's a vicious circle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I understand the idea of keto and I have zero problems with it as something some people find helpful. It's also totally understandable how ice cream would not fit the keto macro breakdown. My comment was more of a general one, the prevalent stigma on certain foods but not others.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

If I had the time (maybe later) I would link the article that says MCT Oil is no better than plain old unrefined coconut oil, and there are less than 1 gram of carbs in a Tbsp of heavy cream and lots of fat so it's perfectly fine for Keto. The OP never said "Bulletproof" coffee, they said "Keto" coffee.

Oh, please post this article! I would love to read it! I well understand the science behind the use of MCT oil vs. unrefined coconut oil in a keto diet, so I would love to hear your argument.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First of all, if you're going to do it, do it right. Get rid of the cream, the stevia and the cinnamon.

The whole point of this is to extend the body's natural state of ketosis through the morning hours until your midday meal. Whatever carbs you ate yesterday are burned overnight, so you are in ketosis normally when you awake. Feeding on fat first thing will extend that fat-burning period.

The Bulletproof method is to use 'clean' coffee beans, to eliminate the mold that's found in most coffee beans, because it messes with your mental clarity, supposedly. OK, if you're not willing to spend the extra money to buy clean coffee, I get that. But the idea is to use coffee, MCT oil (not just ANY coconut oil), and grassfed butter. The MCT oil is refined coconut oil that has more Medium Chain Triglycerides. Bulletproof Executive sells their own clean coffee beans and an MCT oil called Brain Octane; you can find several other similar MCT oils out there for less.

When I have used this, I brew 16 oz. of GOOD organic coffee, and add 2 Tbsp. of MCT oil and 2 Tbsp. of butter, and emulsify it in a blender. I never use sweetener because I find that it messes with my sense of sweet and induces cravings; the coconut is sweet enough. It adds up to around 480 calories, which is a meal for me. I only use this occasionally because I prefer to eat breakfast rather than drink it. It's really good for road trips, though...

And to answer your question directly, yes...I love it!

Out of curiosity, don't you think it's a bit of a conflict of interest that the people advocating "clean" coffee, grassfed butter, and unrefined coconut oils, also sell it?

And just to point out, when you eat a lot of fat, your body will store that fat as fat and increase fat oxidation. Not exactly the same as burn body fat.

My bigger issue with bullet proof coffee is the amount of calories you consume, limit your ability to get other vital vitamins and minerals. If 1/4 to 1/3 of your calories are consumed by coffee, that will eliminate your ability to get adequate potassium and magnesium, which increases the need for supplementation.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Keto'ers would definitely think it's a bad idea. They also think adding a couple of lumps of sugar to coffee is a bad idea too. You have admit that adding straight sugar to coffee is still much much more socially acceptable than straight fat. Even if the calories are about the same.

Milk in coffee is a bit of an odd idea if you think about it. Adding the (breast) milk of a cow to hpt roasted, ground bean water is a bit odd.

I personally think high fat with high sugar is a recipe for disaster for many. Mainly those of us who can't moderate well. Eventually I'd hit a little bit of coffee with my icecream rather than the other way around. ;) For those who can moderate well, and take cream and sugar (double double) in your coffee, I would absolutely use icecream in cofee.... You all should be doing that!

Still. Love my coffee. Sipping it with a tablespoon of coconut cream (from the can) right now.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think it's dumb but it does taste kind of good.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    And now we are being brainwashed to think sugar makes us fat. It's a vicious circle.

I think it's more apt to say we are just coming to finally realize that excess calories make us fat, and a diet rich in sugar tends to lead to that, as a spiking/crashing blood sugar level tends to exaggerate hunger signals.
  • nvmomketo
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I'm not sure what you mean... It's dumb to drink coffee that tastes good? If it tastes bad to you then I agree, it would be dumb to drink it.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I'm not sure what you mean... It's dumb to drink coffee that tastes good? If it tastes bad to you then I agree, it would be dumb to drink it.

It means what I think it means. It's dumb to put butter in coffee. I can have an opinion right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I like high quality coffee, freshly ground beans, and black...

Putting butter and oil and cream, etc just *kitten* up a good cup of coffee...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I think it's more apt to say we are just coming to finally realize that excess calories make us fat, and a diet rich in sugar tends to lead to that, as a spiking/crashing blood sugar level tends to exaggerate hunger signals.

This assumes that spiking BG is causing crashes, rather than the types of foods associated with satiety. High fat doesn't keep me full very long, so even on my low carb days, I need high amounts of protein and fiber to increase satiety. On my high carb days, I rarely feel hungry.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

It means what I think it means. It's dumb to put butter in coffee. I can have an opinion right?

Okay... Yes, you have every right to think a food combination is dumb.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Okay... Yes, you have every right to think a food combination is dumb.

Thanks. I had not finished my coffee yet and I'm wildly cranky from this deficit.