Anyone know any good hunger suppressants?

Options

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I dont really like dark chocolate but being dutch I love double salted licorice, but its so strong im done after one piece, so if im craving thats what I have :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    VeganCeliac - "telling them "food" is not helpful"

How is it not helpful? taso knows what he's talking about and is well-mannered. He's helped so many members on this board for years. Hunger suppressants in the form of drugs, herbs, whatever are useless and he tells someone not to waste their money on them? I consider that helping.

Might be that we all define "helping" differently. Some can see through the BS well, some can't.

* you can't come on here and suggest taking 5-HTP, if you were a medical professional your license would be gone immediately.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    IMGP8359_zpsf47e3c86.jpg

Just to clarify...is this a graham cracker sheet, peanut butter, bacon, marshmallow fluff (or banana...it looks white), and a chocolate bar?

MARRY ME.
  • VeganCeliac
    Options
    Too lazy to go back and quote.

Dude, you're getting way too offended over this stuff. NO ONE has called you stupid. NO ONE is trying to make you feel "unwelcome." NO ONE hates you. This isn't grade school. Stop perpetuating drama.

Food is not the enemy. All we're trying to say is that if you have a moderate deficit while getting enough food/nutrients, you shouldn't be hungry all the time.

Advertising a drug for an amino acid that your body already produces naturally and *may* cause issues down the road (especially if you're already taking SRIs for depression) is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED because anything that isn't about establishing a healthier relationship with food and appetite isn't what this site is about. It could also be dangerous because not enough is known about it. It's also against the rules. Thus why the mods probably chose to take your post down.

As a matter of fact, saying that I am acting like I am in grade school and perpetuating drama IS making me feel unwelcome.

When did I say food was the enemy? When did I advocate taking drugs? I suggested an over the counter supplement that my doctor suggested to me. When my post was deleted, I asked why. That is all. The moderators can moderate any way that they like. That is no reason for you to treat me like this. I have posted in a lot of forums on a lot of different sites and I have never had anyone attack me like this. I really don't understand what your problem is. Maybe it's not a healthy relationship with food you need to be striving for. Maybe you need to need to be thinking about how you interact with people and what affect that has on them. Cause right now, that sure seems to me to be causing more harm to others than suggesting that they look into trying an amino acid that some people happen to find helpful.
  • ChallengeAccepted14
    Options
    ... sometimes I get the 100 calorie jerky packs. It really keeps me satisfied.

Coffee

20 calorie Dark Chocolate Hot Chocolate Packs from Nestle (in the winter... and fall... ok, and early spring too).

Popcorn (100 calorie packs).

Oranges

Watermelon

Side Salad from Wendy's with Reduced Fat Dressing - 70 calories...... LOVE these...sometimes I eat them for dinner if I had a big lunch.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned food?
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    Methinks someone needs to re-define what "attacking" means.

I'm not attacking you.
    I'm not saying anything rude to you.

I'm blunt.
    I tend to be sarcastic. Apologies if it seems rude.
    I'm not sugar coating things.
    I'm backing up what others have posted.
    I'm trying to cut through the misinformation.
    I'm trying to explain why the mods removed your post, as you requested.

While I have qualms with you trying desperately to feel like the victim and hijacking the board, I don't have qualms with you as a person, your curiosity, or your attempts at giving advice.

The takeaway: CHILL OUT. Ain't nobody got time to feel so offended over someone that respectfully disagrees with you.
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned food?

What you did there. I see it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Food.

Seriously, why even post this?

because excessive hunger is usually caused by eating too little. you don't have to be starving hungry 24/7 to lose weight.

Now maybe if you wanted to list some specific foods that might be helpful.

ANY foods will stop you from feeling hungry if you're not eating enough. Granted that some foods will give you more protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrate and dietary fibre than others and the body needs those things, but I'm sure the OP already knows what foods contain those nutrients. Point is that if she's feeling so hungry all the time, then the total amount of food she's eating is most likely too little, most likely because she's set her calorie goal a bit too low, therefore she needs to eat more, as an a greater number of calories and a greater total amount of food.

Yeah, my point is, I think everyone already knows that. It's like telling a heroin addict that the best medication for heroin withdrawal is heroin.

no, not at all. Because drugs are not nutrients that the human body needs, and a recovering addict needs to give up the drug completely. 100% abstenence from food = starving to death. Dieting is *not* about giving up a harmful, addictive drug, it's about learning how to eat the right amount of food for a healthy body. Hunger is *not* analogous to heroin withdrawal!! Giving up food is *not* the goal when dieting. Eating too little when dieting is going from one harmful extreme to another. Hunger is a sign that you're not eating enough and should eat more food. It's not remotely like withdrawal symptoms from a drug.

For successful, long term weight loss, you need to find the happy medium where you're eating enough food that you're not constantly hungry, or miserable, or suffering or depriving yourself completely of foods that you love, but at the same time you're still burning off more than you eat, so you get slow, steady, sustainable fat loss. Feeling excessively hungry means you're doing it wrong, i.e. eating too little, i.e. going too far towards the opposite extreme. That's not the case for drug addiction, there's no "happy medium" there, because drug addiction is nothing like being hungry and wanting to eat.

I was using an analogy so please stop talking to me like I'm stupid. Obviously I am not suggesting that heroin and food are the same or that anyone should starve themselves. I don't know why the person who started this thread was looking for a way to reduce appetite, but for all we know it could be because they are an emotional eater or dealing with a medical issue that requires them to limit food intake. Did I ever suggest that people starve themselves to death or that going hungry is a good means of weight loss? No, I did not. All I said that when someone asks about a way to reduce appetite, telling them "food" is not helpful. Just like you attacking my answer without even understanding my point is not helpful.

I'm not talking to you like you're stupid. Stop reading tone of voice into my posts that isn't there. Nor am I attacking you, that's something else you've read into not only my post but several others on this thread. Disagreeing with you does not equal attacking you. Please read my posts without putting any emotion into them. I'm not feeling emotional, just totally neutral, I'm just explaining one single, simple point, which is why several people on this thread have advised the OP to eat more food to solve the issue of being very hungry.

I know the heroin comment was an analogy, but it was a very bad analogy, hence why I responded as I did. Telling someone to eat more food when they're very hungry while dieting is nothing like telling a heroin addict that the cure for heroin withdrawal is to take more heroin. The two are not remotely alike.

Most people on diets who suffer from excessive hunger, it's because they're not eating enough. There are many, many diets out there that tell people to eat too little, then tell them that they're hungry because they have emotional issues, or lack willpower or whatever. Even if you use calorie calculators, it's easy to make a mistake and end up with a calorie goal that's too low for you (or not even a mistake, we're not all identical, the calculator could be wrong). While there is such a thing as emotional eating, you can't assume that it's that *before* you have ruled out physiological hunger. There are so many people out there (mostly women) who think they have an emotional problem with food or lack willpower, when they are simply hungry because they're not eating enough, but have been led to believe that they can't possibly eat more than that. The first thing anyone going through this problem needs to do is check and double check their calorie intake. While there are some people out there who seem hellbent on eating too little no matter what anyone else says, most women who are trying to diet but are suffering from excess hunger and/or binge eating (caused by hunger), actually are pleased to learn that they can in fact eat more, feel less hungry, and still lose weight (albeit at a slower pace) and have a better chance of keeping it off in the long term.

And please don't take my posts as an attack. I'm sharing information that many people find extremely helpful. That's what this site is for, right? To help each other?
  • VeganCeliac
    Options
    Also, I would just like to point out that other people are suggesting stuff like black coffee, which clearly implies a drug (caffeine) to reduce appetite, which seems much more harmful to me than an amino acid that helps to regulate the entire hunger/satiety mechanism. Personally, I don't care if people want to drink black coffee in order to cut back on food. That's their choice. My point is just that I have been singled out and people are being very rude to me and I have no idea why. If you think I am getting overly worked up, why don't you go back and re-read what you have written and put yourself in my shoes. I just told you this is my first day here and I was specifically asking what I had done wrong because I was not intending to break any forum rules. It's the people who are saying things like others are stupid or acting like they are in grade school who are perpetuating drama. If you really are not trying to make me feel unwelcome then maybe you should try saying something like, "I'm sorry. You misinterpreted what I was trying to say." Instead of "get a grip," "you're over reacting," blah, blah, blah. Do you see how maybe that could in fact make a person feel attacked and unwelcome?
  • VeganCeliac
    Options
    Food.

because excessive hunger is usually caused by eating too little. you don't have to be starving hungry 24/7 to lose weight.

ANY foods will stop you from feeling hungry if you're not eating enough. Granted that some foods will give you more protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrate and dietary fibre than others and the body needs those things, but I'm sure the OP already knows what foods contain those nutrients. Point is that if she's feeling so hungry all the time, then the total amount of food she's eating is most likely too little, most likely because she's set her calorie goal a bit too low, therefore she needs to eat more, as an a greater number of calories and a greater total amount of food.

Yeah, my point is, I think everyone already knows that. It's like telling a heroin addict that the best medication for heroin withdrawal is heroin.

no, not at all. Because drugs are not nutrients that the human body needs, and a recovering addict needs to give up the drug completely. 100% abstenence from food = starving to death. Dieting is *not* about giving up a harmful, addictive drug, it's about learning how to eat the right amount of food for a healthy body. Hunger is *not* analogous to heroin withdrawal!! Giving up food is *not* the goal when dieting. Eating too little when dieting is going from one harmful extreme to another. Hunger is a sign that you're not eating enough and should eat more food. It's not remotely like withdrawal symptoms from a drug.

For successful, long term weight loss, you need to find the happy medium where you're eating enough food that you're not constantly hungry, or miserable, or suffering or depriving yourself completely of foods that you love, but at the same time you're still burning off more than you eat, so you get slow, steady, sustainable fat loss. Feeling excessively hungry means you're doing it wrong, i.e. eating too little, i.e. going too far towards the opposite extreme. That's not the case for drug addiction, there's no "happy medium" there, because drug addiction is nothing like being hungry and wanting to eat.

I was using an analogy so please stop talking to me like I'm stupid. Obviously I am not suggesting that heroin and food are the same or that anyone should starve themselves. I don't know why the person who started this thread was looking for a way to reduce appetite, but for all we know it could be because they are an emotional eater or dealing with a medical issue that requires them to limit food intake. Did I ever suggest that people starve themselves to death or that going hungry is a good means of weight loss? No, I did not. All I said that when someone asks about a way to reduce appetite, telling them "food" is not helpful. Just like you attacking my answer without even understanding my point is not helpful.

I'm not talking to you like you're stupid. Stop reading tone of voice into my posts that isn't there. Nor am I attacking you, that's something else you've read into not only my post but several others on this thread. Disagreeing with you does not equal attacking you. Please read my posts without putting any emotion into them. I'm not feeling emotional, just totally neutral, I'm just explaining one single, simple point, which is why several people on this thread have advised the OP to eat more food to solve the issue of being very hungry.

I know the heroin comment was an analogy, but it was a very bad analogy, hence why I responded as I did. Telling someone to eat more food when they're very hungry while dieting is nothing like telling a heroin addict that the cure for heroin withdrawal is to take more heroin. The two are not remotely alike.

Most people on diets who suffer from excessive hunger, it's because they're not eating enough. There are many, many diets out there that tell people to eat too little, then tell them that they're hungry because they have emotional issues, or lack willpower or whatever. Even if you use calorie calculators, it's easy to make a mistake and end up with a calorie goal that's too low for you. While there is such a thing as emotional eating, you can't assume that it's that *before* you have ruled out physiological hunger. There are so many people out there (mostly women) who think they have an emotional problem with food or lack willpower, when they are simply hungry because they're not eating enough, but have been led to believe that they can't possibly eat more than that. The first thing anyone going through this problem needs to do is check and double check their calorie intake. While there are some people out there who seem hellbent on eating too little no matter what anyone else says, most women who are trying to diet but are suffering from excess hunger and/or binge eating (caused by hunger), actually are pleased to learn that they can in fact eat more, feel less hungry, and still lose weight (albeit at a slower pace) and have a better chance of keeping it off in the long term.

And please don't take my posts as an attack. I'm sharing information that many people find extremely helpful. That's what this site is for, right? To help each other?

That is fine. Perhaps you were not attacking me. But others certainly were so you can see why it would feel to me like you were trying to make me feel stupid by chiming in with an explanation that the difference between heroin and food is that people need to eat. You say that I have read emotion into the post of others that wasn't there... perhaps that is what you have done to me?

I was trying to help too, BTW. I'm sorry no one liked my suggestion. I'm just bewildered by the amount of negativity that it generated.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    IMGP8359_zpsf47e3c86.jpg

Just to clarify...is this a graham cracker sheet, peanut butter, bacon, marshmallow fluff (or banana...it looks white), and a chocolate bar?

MARRY ME.

It is graham cracker, buttercream frosting, bacon, and a hershey bar

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Also, I would just like to point out that other people are suggesting stuff like black coffee, which clearly implies a drug (caffeine) to reduce appetite, which seems much more harmful to me than an amino acid that helps to regulate the entire hunger/satiety mechanism. Personally, I don't care if people want to drink black coffee in order to cut back on food. That's their choice.

I agree. any kind of appetite suppressant will not teach you how to moderate your food intake and find a happy medium
    My point is just that I have been singled out and people are being very rude to me and I have no idea why. If you think I am getting overly worked up, why don't you go back and re-read what you have written and put yourself in my shoes.

You came into the thread and told people who were giving good advice that their advice wasn't helpful, and you were pretty blunt about that (seeing as you're complaining about other people being blunt). They responded to you explaining why they gave the advice they did. You're reading hostility into posts that isn't there. People here are quite blunt, I know I am, but that's all it is. It's not an attack. Please don't let it get to you. People disagree online all the time, it's how it is. And some of your posts were just as blunt....
    I just told you this is my first day here and I was specifically asking what I had done wrong because I was not intending to break any forum rules. It's the people who are saying things like others are stupid or acting like they are in grade school who are perpetuating drama.

The thing is, when you get upset about people disagreeing with you, then say they're attacking you, etc, people will say that's stirring up drama.
    If you really are not trying to make me feel unwelcome then maybe you should try saying something like, "I'm sorry. You misinterpreted what I was trying to say." Instead of "get a grip," "you're over reacting," blah, blah, blah. Do you see how maybe that could in fact make a person feel attacked and unwelcome?

well, you were overreacting. but the same as what you said above could be said about your comments saying things like "that's like telling a heroin addict that the cure for heroin withdrawal is more heroin" in response to people giving good advice....? don't you think that's just as harsh as the posts you complained about?
  • VeganCeliac
    Options

I'm not attacking you.

I'm blunt.

While I have qualms with you trying desperately to feel like the victim and hijacking the board, I don't have qualms with you as a person, your curiosity, or your attempts at giving advice.

The takeaway: CHILL OUT. Ain't nobody got time to feel so offended over someone that respectfully disagrees with you.

I am fine with blunt or even sarcastic, but what you said WAS rude and you know it. Even just the fact that you would say that I am "desperately trying to feel like a victim" is rude. You hurt my feelings, plain and simple. Now you are blaming me for it. I am not trying to hijack the board so I will leave now.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Food.

Most people on diets who suffer from excessive hunger, it's because they're not eating enough. There are many, many diets out there that tell people to eat too little, then tell them that they're hungry because they have emotional issues, or lack willpower or whatever. Even if you use calorie calculators, it's easy to make a mistake and end up with a calorie goal that's too low for you. While there is such a thing as emotional eating, you can't assume that it's that *before* you have ruled out physiological hunger. There are so many people out there (mostly women) who think they have an emotional problem with food or lack willpower, when they are simply hungry because they're not eating enough, but have been led to believe that they can't possibly eat more than that. The first thing anyone going through this problem needs to do is check and double check their calorie intake. While there are some people out there who seem hellbent on eating too little no matter what anyone else says, most women who are trying to diet but are suffering from excess hunger and/or binge eating (caused by hunger), actually are pleased to learn that they can in fact eat more, feel less hungry, and still lose weight (albeit at a slower pace) and have a better chance of keeping it off in the long term.

That is fine. Perhaps you were not attacking me. But others certainly were so you can see why it would feel to me like you were trying to make me feel stupid by chiming in with an explanation that the difference between heroin and food is that people need to eat.

I was trying to help too, BTW. I'm sorry no one liked my suggestion. I'm just bewildered by the amount of negativity that it generated.

well there are some people here who are actually rude, I didn't see it here, but maybe I missed one or two posts, but most of the reaction to your post was to explain all the reasons why that stuff is a bad idea.... again, not an attack. I appreciate that you were trying to help, but the mods removed your post for that stuff, so clearly there is an issue with the stuff you posted about.

anyway, everyone will probably have forgotten this entire thread by tomorrow so just keep on posting and forget about it. Just remember that tone of voice doesn't come across on the internet so if someone's being blunt they usually don't mean it as an attack (try to read it in a neutral voice not an angry voice)... and also that means what you say can be taken totally the wrong way. Which seems to have happened on this thread as well.
  • PepperWorm
    Options

I'm not attacking you.

I'm blunt.

I am fine with blunt or even sarcastic, but what you said WAS rude and you know it. Even just the fact that you would say that I am "desperately trying to feel like a victim" is rude. You hurt my feelings, plain and simple. Now you are blaming me for it. I am not trying to hijack the board so I will leave now.

Dear sweet lord.

I don't even know what to say anymore. I wasn't trying to 'hurt' you. What you see as rude, I do not. Clearly I have problems, I guess.

I'm sorry. K?
  • PepperWorm
    Options
    IMGP8359_zpsf47e3c86.jpg

MARRY ME.

It is graham cracker, buttercream frosting, bacon, and a hershey bar

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Not tryin to hate, but I think mine with the banana might be better (LOL). I'm not a huge fan of the buttercream though. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the idea! It's rad!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Food.
    Yep food n water will do the trick every time.

Another good suppressant is exercise.

Sometimes when I have felt hungry I just drink some water and go for a walk and the whole feeling of `hunger` goes away
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Oh dear! I didn`t read all the posts and did not realize I just came into a simple topic that escalated into chaos.

What is with you guys? :tongue:
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    artichokes, pears, peas, beans are loaded with fiber. Push for 40 grams a day. It will really keep you full :)) Water is a huge appetite suppressant as well. Avoid all processed, junk foods, any white flour, sugar stuff. It all cause cravings.