Exercise for Loss

Options
124»

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy. Because having more muscle makes you burn more calories 24 7.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,725 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    lynnskaggs wrote: »
    instead of hi-jacking someone's post, I'll start my own. Who can recommend the best exercise for weight loss? I need examples, talk to me like I'm gym dumb...
    Exercise isn't for weight loss. It's for fitness and health. One could exercise their heart out on a daily basis, but if they still eat more than they burn, they won't lose weight, they'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

It depends on your point of view. I eat what I've always eaten and added 500 calories of exercise a day for my deficit. I realize I COULD eat more and ruin it but I haven't changed my diet. I've changed my activity to create the deficit.
    POV doesn't matter when it comes to actual math. You're increasing your "out" over your "in" thereby creating a deficit. Guaranteed if you ate 700 calories over your maintenance and only burned 500 calories from exercise, you'd gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Right. It depends on how you look at it. You exercise to be healthy. I exercise to lose weight.

I understand that I COULD eat enough to ruin it but that doesn't mean that my exercise isn't creating a deficit.
    No you exercise so you can still eat at maintenance and still lose weight. One doesn't have to exercise at all to create a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Right. It depends on how you look at it. You exercise to be healthy. I exercise to lose weight.

I understand that I COULD eat enough to ruin it but that doesn't mean that my exercise isn't creating a deficit.
    No you exercise so you can still eat at maintenance and still lose weight. One doesn't have to exercise at all to create a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You don't have to @.@ but you can.

I have not changed my food. I have changed my activity to create a deficit. It doesn't matter how you create a deficit. If you create one you will be successful. That is a difference in how you look at it, nothing more. This is honestly the second most pedantic argument I've ever heard on this site.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have not changed my food. I have changed my activity to create a deficit. It doesn't matter how you create a deficit. If you create one you will be successful. That is a difference in how you look at it, nothing more. This is honestly the second most pedantic argument I've ever heard on this site.

I'm doing the same thing. I've got my calories set to maintenance/sedentary and create a deficit through exercise.

This thread reminds me of my favourite gif :lol:

63hqtd6brumh.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I forgot to answer the OP's question! The only exercise i do is walking, lots of walking, it's something i really enjoy, it doesn't require a gym membership (which I'd never use), and you can practically do it anywhere, anytime.
  • farinn
    farinn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ogtmama is just saying that she works off calories. So she can add more to her calorie budget for the day, or not. It is entirely up to yourself if you feel like that is helpful or not. I found it helpful. It doesn't negate anything else said on here. I really don't get all the arguments.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol, okay so in MATHEMATICAL terms you're eating less than you burn. You can look at it anyway you want, but there are so many people that think that they can exercise off weight without being conscious of how many calories they intake and unfortunately it just doesn't work that way. There are lots of active people who do very physical jobs that are overweight. So why do they get overweight if they are physically moving all day? I mean they are probably burning an excess of 2000-3000 calories above their BMR on a daily basis. That's more than triple what most people burn in an hour session of decent intensity cardio. Oh, yep math again. They are eating more than they burn.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm doing the same thing. I've got my calories set to maintenance/sedentary and create a deficit through exercise.

This thread reminds me of my favourite gif :lol:

63hqtd6brumh.png

I was going to post this but you beat me to it! I think every side in the argument has been adequately covered by this point.

Walking is my go-to exercise because it can be done anywhere. The burn isn't huge but half a mile here and there adds up. It can mean an extra packet of crisps a day for me.

When I want to torch calories, I cycle or do step aerobics. Be aware with both of these that it is easy to slack off and burn fewer calories than you expect. With the bike, keep the speed up (or do what I do - ride a trike with a trolley full of shopping on the back! Just got my trike up and running again and so excited to take my first shopping trip in ages). With the step aerobics, you need to keep stepping, you don't burn calories standing about between bursts.
  • klyons1127
    klyons1127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The routine that has worked best for me is fasted morning cardio M-W-F brisk walk on treadmill 45-60mins focus on heart rate you want to stay in the 60-70% max heart rate range
    (220-age=max. Max times .6 and .7 = fat burn range)

Tuesday and Thursday mornings HIIT "High intensity interval training" I mix this up but my go to is back on the treadmill start with walking the same speed as your M-W-F runs but after 4 mins go as fast as you can for 1 min full gasping for air at the 1 min mark then back to walking for 4 then sprint for 1 till you do it for 30 mins. You will want to increase the intensity as you become able less walking time between sprints ect.

M-F weight train in the afternoon basic split
    M- chest and triceps
    T- back and biceps
    W- leg day
    T- Abs and shoulders
    F- compound movements (deadlifts weighted lunges ect)

6 exercises each day 3 sets 8-10 reps.
    You may build some muscle if you are new to working out but this I mainly to preserve what muscle you do have while on a calories deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Let's answer the OP's actual question: What exercise for weight loss? ANSWER: You don't really have to exercise at all for weight loss. You just have to make sure that you consume less than you burn.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png