bitter coffee?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    olira6624 wrote: »
    Coffee with milk no sugar, disaster! My brain is screaming for sugar! But I said no no no! :/

Don't worry--this will pass. You are just retraining your taste buds.
  • olira6624
    olira6624 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Retrain my taste? Hmm I like that ha exactly, thanks a lot I need to keep it in my mind :)
  • olira6624
    Options
    No coffee so far but sweet sweet breakfast, I feel guilty but happy :|
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Black with no sugar all the way.

• CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if coffee is good, it MUST be taken without sugar.

I only sweet bad coffees :smiley:

For Spanish speakers:
    Un buen CAFE debe ser (a good coffee must be):

C aliente (Hot)
    A margo (Bitter, no sugar)
    F uerte (Strong, little water)
    E xpreso (Expresso)

:smiley:

• snowflake954
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    IMHO, if coffee is good, it MUST be taken without sugar.

I only sweet bad coffees :smiley:

For Spanish speakers:
    Un buen CAFE debe ser (a good coffee must be):

C aliente (Hot)
    A margo (Bitter, no sugar)
    F uerte (Strong, little water)
    E xpreso (Expresso)

:smiley:

I would like to add that here, in Italy, a famous coffee bar owner (that also sells coffee) told my husband that you can tell good coffee by the aftertaste. If it leaves a bitter, bad taste in your mouth--it was poor quality coffee, not prepared correctly, or both.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I used to drink large coffees with enough sugar to leave some sludge at the bottom (probably 5-6 packets or just pouring out of the container for about ten seconds). I've used skim milk for years. A few months before I started here, I dropped the sugar down to two packets, then made the leap to zero. It definitely took a while to get used to it and weeks for me to stop swirling the cup to get the imaginary sludge to mix. I switched to almond milk when it got popular and have recently switched to drinking it black most of the time. That wasn't a calorie move, more of a personal challenge. (TMI - colonoscopy prep a while back involved only clear liquids the day before and there was no way I was having that done with a caffeine headache). I buy McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts black, I add almond milk to the black DD because it's got a weird taste, but McD and my K cups are usually black now.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Coffee black

Cigarette

Alas, my life isn't quite a country song. Just Coffee black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi0vmnxM3ao
  • olira6624
    Options
    My 7th day, one sugar with first coffee,during all day bitter with milk, I should be happy but somehow I am not, feeling strange and depresing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    My 7th day, one sugar with first coffee,during all day bitter with milk, I should be happy but somehow I am not, feeling strange and depresing.

How many calories are in usual coffee with 2 sugars? Maybe if they're reasonable enough you don't need to make the switch to bitter coffee and could cut equivalent calories from something else that might feel easier and less depressing?
  • olira6624
    Options
    Amusedmonkey there is 20 calories in 1spoon, your idea is good but its not only about calories, its about sugar and coffee itself as my comfort and answer for everything, hunger,problem,hapiness literally everything this coffee is like my drug in every moment still on my mind. So what I am thinking is that my body and brain are trying different tricks to get what they want and need. The questin is how long it will takes for them to accept the fact that they not gonna get this and deal with it, and how can I trick them so what I did today? I eat half spoon of honey, bloody hell so sweet almost terrible and I must tell you peple still got taste of it in my mouth and cant even think of anything sweet. Will see then. Gd luck for all of you.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I like the coffees from Leelanau Coffee Roasting Company (Michigan -- they ship). They have various roasts of many varieties from around the world. I usually get a few different kinds of whole beans, mostly espresso or city roasts, and mix them together to get my own custom blend. (I keep them sealed in a 2.5 gallon apothecary jar). I grind them as I use them and brew using a "12 cup" Bilaetti Moka pot (which is about 24 oz. if I fill it to the water line -- I fill it a bit higher to get about 30 oz.). The coffee has less caffeine, but lots of full bodied flavor, which I can adjust based on the amount of beans I brew. I drink it with half & half. I can get two big mugs of coffee and I put an ounce of half & half in each mug I drink (that's 88 calories for both). On the weekends I double the half & half and whip it with a hand blender and stick it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and then add the coffee on top of it. MUCH better than Starbucks and a fraction of the price! It's not at all bitter, because the hot water flows over the coffee beans so fast. I don't use sugar unless I am making Irish coffee...
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Amusedmonkey there is 20 calories in 1spoon, your idea is good but its not only about calories, its about sugar and coffee itself as my comfort and answer for everything, hunger,problem,hapiness literally everything this coffee is like my drug in every moment still on my mind. So what I am thinking is that my body and brain are trying different tricks to get what they want and need. The questin is how long it will takes for them to accept the fact that they not gonna get this and deal with it, and how can I trick them so what I did today? I eat half spoon of honey, bloody hell so sweet almost terrible and I must tell you peple still got taste of it in my mouth and cant even think of anything sweet. Will see then. Gd luck for all of you.

I agree, keep trying for a month--then evaluate. It's a good idea to keep the foods you really love so you can lose and then maintain your weight. Life is short. One needs to be happy too. Good luck.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I understand. You are trying to break the emotional connection. It will be hard, but you can do it. To make it easier, you may need to look into alternative ways to comfort. Taking away your comfort source and not replacing it with something else you may face problems. What do you think would work? Have you tried walking? Meditation? Or even simply distracting yourself by doing something you love (playing games in my case).
  • Merlotmom16
    Merlotmom16 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Changing eating habits should not mean doing without all of life's little pleasures like a good cup of coffee! I'll take the 35 calories that my coffee mate sugar free french vanilla adds to my coffee. Also add a little splenda or truvia. Tea lovers might try chai latte with a little fake sweetener.
  • olira6624
    Options
    Amusedmonkey yes it is about to break the emotional connection and happylosermom you are absolutely right we need this little plesure moments like coffee or piece of cake or whatever but the things is to know the limit. In my case there was no limit but I am working on it. I was using 2 kg sugar bag for week and just for coffee so its easy to imagine amount of coffee and sugar in my life. I wanna look for bigger picture in long term. Cut the sugar and exercise more this can be my new lifestyle but beeing on diet hmm nope its for me just short term solution. Whatever your goal good luck guys :)
  • snowflake954
    Options
    Well then you're doing great if you used to go through 2 kg og sugar a week. You've cut back alot. It takes time to change habits and tastes. Keep going for a month. See if it gets easier.
  • olira6624
    Options
    Thank you snowflake954