shamed in the locker room for the first time since middle school

Options
2»

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,068 Member
    Options
    Sorry someone even said that!
    But you are inspirational. The determination in your post shows that no one can truly knock you down!
    They're 18-20, real life hasn't even started! I've had 3 pregnancies and only 24 and I've got a body to show for it!

You look better in the gym than you do on the sofa
    And remember, they're probably going just to stand around trying to attract boys! Wouldn't know what a hardcore workout was even if they tried
    You are so much better, so much stronger and beautiful than them!
    You keep at it! Don't let ANYONE put you down!
    You love your body! And that is a difficult feat!

I weigh less than you, and I don't like my body.
    You've achieved the hardest thing
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    madelonism wrote: »
    there is nothing more ugly to me than the malicious laughter of a weak spirit, clinging so desperately to their ego that they fear they will lose themselves should someone challenge what they believe (in this case fat=disgusting) causes a outlash, so they can soothe their unstable sence of self. but i also wanted to say "if you wanna burn your eyes out i think ive got a lighter"

You are my hero!
  • snickerdoodle1
    snickerdoodle1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You rock girl!
  • Tgmcmonigle
    Tgmcmonigle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love seeing heavier people in the gym. It tells me that they are actually doing something to make their life better instead of sitting around whining about how bad they feel. Kudos to all who brave the potential embarrassment to pursue a longer, happier, healthier life.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    two young girls, probably between 18-20, caught me in my most vulnerable moment. i was changing in the locker room with my swimsuit half down, sweater half on, trying to be reasonably modest might i add. when my head was stuck in my hood the girls passed me and said in full voice "god just let me burn my eyes out already" and they laughed and laughed as they hurried out of the dressing room before i could see their faces.

im a woman who thinks i have a beautiful body. its the only one ive ever had. so i appreciate it. the reason i am at the gym is BECAUSE I LOVE MY BODY, and i am determined to take better care of it.

Good on you. YOU do YOU. These snot-nosed little heathens do not deserve a second thought. Notice how they waited until your head was covered to say that within earshot... and then ran out of the room before you could respond? They're cowardly and insecure and think they have something to prove to each other, and they don't. They're miniscule little snail in the big, scary scope of life and should be pitied and disregarded.

I'm proud of you for moving forward in your journey. We are all behind you on this.

• jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I really want to thank you. Not only for sharing what happened, but to have been brave and bold enough to tell the management. You really just stuck up for every one of us who has ever been made to feel that way in a gym and didn't have the confidence to stand up for themselves. Like you, I believe my body is beautiful regardless of what I weigh at any given time but I haven't always had the backbone to stand up for myself. To me, exercise has been an important part of self love and it really sucks to be in a place where instead of being empowered to find new strengths, you feel shamed. Unfortunately, those girls will probably never grow out of being 'mean girls' because it's all they really have' being petty, judgmental, shallow and uninteresting is easy and a great cover for being absolutely and utterly vapid.

Thank you again.
  • SincerelyHiatus
    SincerelyHiatus Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I wish I had the confidence that you do. Kudos to you and don't ever let anybody bring you down.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately the world is filled with shallow people and it's much much harder on females than males because of the expectation that Hollywood and the media have portrayed how a female should look. Sad. Good luck on your journey and keep it going. Maybe in 10 years, you'll see them again, but the roles might be reversed based on how kids are slowly getting more overweight with each generation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah I remember being made fun of too by my peers around that age. Twenty something years later and Karma tends to catch up.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Little *kitten*.

If you see them again say 'Now I've seen you're fugly face close up it's no wonder you want to burn your eyes out!'
    But anyway, you are awesome and you know it!
  • Byronic_Ryu
    Byronic_Ryu Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the Dani Mathers incident. I don't understand why people would shame other people's bodies at a gym of all places. These women chose to be so ugly on the inside and it shows through their actions! I agree with everyone else, they are going to have a rude awakening when they have to face real life problems. I am glad you spoke up and told the trainer about what happened. You keep doing what you have been doing and know that you have every right to be in that kind of space as much as everyone else.
  • TheSkyBlushed
    TheSkyBlushed Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    madelonism wrote: »
    1.) said in full voice "god just let me burn my eyes out already" and they laughed and laughed as they hurried out of the dressing room before i could see their faces.

2.) im a woman who thinks i have a beautiful body. its the only one ive ever had. so i appreciate it. the reason i am at the gym is BECAUSE I LOVE MY BODY, and i am determined to take better care of it.

1. Maybe God will answer their prayer & they will earn some empathy for others.
    2. ((((HUGS)))) Right on sister! You are beautiful! I hope you focus on those positive words and chalk #1 up to the ignorance of youth & improper upbringing.
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That was the best thing I've read on here in a long time. You are strong with a beautiful heart and I so admire your strength and attitude.

9215309.png
  • lephillipsaim
    lephillipsaim Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What a terrible moment, I am sorry. I wish you could come to my community fitness facility with me to workout tonight. All shapes and sizes and some of the most inspiring are the non skinny women with great fitness and confidence who often end up de facto leading the classes. Keep going back. I read somewhere then adult brains do not fully develop till age 24 or so. Not an excuse - unacceptable no matter what age, but good context I hope.